Character Link and Wiki Link buttons not working in specific campaigns for players

madartiste
madartiste
edited November 2013 in Campaign Portal Building
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what's happening, or at least other people who might be having this problem may come forward.

I've got two campaigns that I'm a player in where the wiki links and character links buttons don't seem to do anything when you click on them. I asked two other players on different computers and different networks to try them out, and they aren't working for them either. Oddly, when the DM let me use his login, it worked just fine. It also works just fine for the other campaigns that I'm a player or GM in. I tried stripping out all of the CSS code, and even everything on the front-page just in case, for those campaigns in case something was interfering, but that didn't get it working either. Does anyone have suggestions of what might be going on? I'm really hoping this is a case of user error.
Thanks!

Comments

• dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    Sorry if these seem like dumb questions madartiste - I'm running through the "did you plug it in, did you turn it on" list because - that is definitely weird. That being said people seem to be having a lot of weird problems with those buttons (I for one haven't seen these issues at all, so I'm throwing things out blind...in fact I didn't even get hit by whatever the original image upload issue was that people had, I've changed my entire look and feel around with the reforge including almost every image on my site because it seemed like an opportune time haha...)

1) What browser are you using - name and version preferably.
    2) When you log in to different accounts (GM etc) - I'm assuming you are a) using the same computer, b) using the same browser for both accounts - yes?
    3) Does changing your browser (use firefox instead of chrome or what have you) - yield a different result? Not a fix - but it does help narrow down where a bug may be IF a bug for the OP crew. And can work as a temporary fix.
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Dawnhawk
    1) I tried both Chrome AND Firefox, both latest version. Though, I admit I haven't tried IE 10/11 yet. I never use it, but I can give it a shot when I get home to see if that makes a difference. The other two players were one on Firefox and one on Chrome.
    2) I logged in for both the GM and my accounts on both chrome and firefox and on two different computers on two different networks. I did my best to experiment.
    3) Nope. Exactly the same result which is that clicking on the button takes the focus off the content/edit box and does nothing when logged in as myself and works fine when logged in as the GM.

I appreciate the troubleshooting help! I tried to go through all the variations that I could think of, but sometimes dealing with a frustrating problem makes me miss obvious stuff. Considering that the GM's account works fine and the OTHER campaigns I'm a part of have no issues, I'm curious if this is a campaign specific permission thing that got messed up during the the reforge or... who knows what.
    Post edited by madartiste on
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    Ok - next...Sorry I'm working off guess work here just looking your campaigns list (Ie. I'm snooping :P). I'm curious too. Also I just like wandering around your sites, they are pretty.

However can you point out the specific problem one so I look at some of the code behind that is visible just to see if I notice anything?

edit: typos...I have keyboard gremlins.
    Post edited by dawnhawk on
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Sure! The two that are having problems are "Rise of Asmodeus":https://greyhawk-636-cy-the-rise-of-asmodeus.obsidianportal.com and "Age of Steam":https://greyhawk-937-cy-the-age-of-steam.obsidianportal.com
    Those are the two I heavily customized, so I wondered if it was the CSS. But I tried stripping all the CSS out and ran my experiments again with no change. On top of that, I tried copying the CSS code into a test campaign which wasn't having the same trouble -- and it didn't change anything. The test campaign worked with no issues. Which is why I'm wondering if it's linked to something funky on the backend of specific campaigns. This would also make sense since only some people seem to be having these issues and not all of them have customized their campaigns. Just a theory, though.
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    I thought they might be the issues. I have a REALLY dumb suggestions - just humor me (again did you plug it in did you turn it on...and did you threaten to throw it out a window). But I want to confirm something before I go pester one of my players to see if I can replicate your issue.

The other two players - do the buttons work for THEM or is it just you locked out?
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    The other two players couldn't get the buttons to work either. Just click and nothing happens. Weirdly, and I forgot to mention it, the image embed and media embed DO work for everyone. Just wiki link and character link are having problems for us players.

Thank you so much for helping out! I was starting to think I was losing my mind or just being a dummy and messing something up on my own. Granted, that last part might still be true. :)
    Post edited by madartiste on
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    Being slightly crazy actually helps with debugging. I'm not joking. Give me a moment while I try and break my campaign. :P
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Whoo hoo breakin' stuff! :)
    Thanks again! Don't do anything irreparable on my behalf, though.
  • silverdawnhawk
    Nothing is irreparable. :P

I have managed to replicate HALF of your issue. I suspect there is a two fold thing going on and will need to poke some more. So I can - as a player in my campaign rather than the GM - embed character links but not wiki links.

My campaign shares something in common with your two campaigns that is different from all of your other campaigns.

They all have : in the name. I suspect - but OP will have to confirm for us - there may be a bug in the algorithm that takes the "name" of the campaign and turns it into the URL - which is then munging up the database query that populated the module (popup) that occurs when you use the Link buttons (probably due to a unclean bit of query code somewhere along the line).

If that makes ANY sense whatsoever to you.
  • silverdawnhawk
    ack and I'm logged in on my test account! lol Sorry madartiste - the dawnhawks are having a slight identity crisis!
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Oh man! Yes! Thank you. That never would've occurred to me, but it's pretty obvious now that you say it. There've been other cases on OP where text characters have fouled things up. You're a champ! I owe you one.
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    No worries. :) Now...going to see if taking the silly colon out fixes it before any of my players complain that it broke!
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Cool. Let me know if it works. It would suck to have to go back and have to redo all the campaign links, but hey.
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    /grumble - Sadly it does not fix the buttons. That being said - I can do the old fashioned way by hand. Ie. I can type

[[mylink | Link]]

Bit more work, but until they sort out what exactly is causing it (if this is what's causing it).
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Okay. At least you seem to have narrowed it down! I imagine all the other people who were having this same trouble will be grateful to know what's going on too. Thanks so much!
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    The other thing...hm. Do you have GM only characters and GM only wiki pages on the two campaigns that don't work? What about on the ones that do?

I have GM only wiki pages (and wiki button doesn't work) but no GM only characters (and characters DO work).
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    OMG...that totally did it!

It broke the character link for my "player" as soon as I made a GM only/secret character...
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Huh!
    Crazy... Do you think it's related to the GM Only items or a combination of GM Only and colons in the title?
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    I'd say probably the GM ONLY to be honest. Because my Characters worked WITH the colon - until I added the GM only one, but the wiki didn't.

I was trying to figure out why I could only replicate half of the issue...
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    And confirmed - removal of the secret character restores the Character Link button for players.

Fun bug!
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Well done! You should get a bug hunter badge or something! Excellent work.
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    lol Nah - I do this for fun. There is a reason I became a software adrenaline. The adrenaline rush that occurs when you find that thrice-be-damned semicolo that has been making your life miserable for hours. :P
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Indeed! It's great when you solve the code glitch that's been driving you nuts.
    All the same, fun or no, thanks so much! It was driving me batty, and now we have something to present to the Devs that should help everyone who's been dealing with this issue.
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    I've added a link and comment for Belrathius to add to his master list. :)
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Sweet! Again, thanks so much!