Dresden Files: Dallas - Seelie/Unseelie Fae Courtiers Project

wolfhound
wolfhound
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
So after discussion with my local gaming group, we figured we'd open this up to the O.P. forum community that's always been so helpful and supportive.

I have a need for some loosely (or completely) fleshed out minor Fae members of the Summer and Winter courts in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. For the most part, these would just be "background dressing" but they might come up in games, who knows. So the idea is... why not just let the community have some fun making up a character concept (if they wish) and we'll incorporate it. We could create them, sure... but why not let others have some fun too, and maybe get a cameo in an upcoming game.

I know not everyone has had a chance to read the Dresden rulebook or FATE so this post will be divided up into a "short and sweet" for DFRPG pros and a "longer" section in case you'd like to participate and have no idea how to do so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the DFRPG Pro
----------------------
1) A Name
2) An actor/actress/model/celebrity that I can use as the basis for the picture (we've used a bunch already, so maybe pick 2)
3) "Template" - Summer or Winter Court - Scion or Changeling (1 unspent Refresh) or Full Fae (0 unspent Refresh)
4) Aspects: All I'm asking for is High Concept, Trouble, and maybe 1 or 2 more. You can do all 7 if you wish.
5) Refresh/Skill Points (your choice, use the fewest that logically makes sense for the concept)
-- 8/30 Chest Deep
-- 9/33 "Neck Deep"
-- 10/35 Submerged
-- I give a full 4 point rebate for "Cold Iron and the Like" as The Catch
6) If you take Item of Power, gimme at least a sentence describing what (and make sure there's an Aspect for it)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For The DFRPG Newbie
----------------------------
1 & 2) Mainly what I need are a name, and an actor/actress/model/celebrity that I can use as the basis for the picture (we've used a bunch already, so maybe pick 2)

3) Then, pick a type of "Fae" that this character would be. I have an incomplete but functional list here:
"http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd/wikis/little-folk":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd/wikis/little-folk

4) Then decide if they'd be Summer or Winter - if you've no experience with those terms, I created a page that basically describes each side's "agenda" (you can read the rest if you like, but the Agenda will easily convey what you need)

"http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd/wikis/fae-magic-notes":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd/wikis/fae-magic-notes

5) Pick 3 or 4 Aspects.
An Aspect is a sentence fragment that describes some aspect of the character's personality/self/concept. It's usually 3-6 words or so.

a) One is the "High Concept" - this will probably have the type of Fae listed in it. This is the main "idea" behind the character. Like if you met a random person at a gaming convention and briefly mentioned the character... what is it?
* Examples:
** (Summer) "Hyperactive Elf Street Artist"
** (Winter) "Corporate Raider Goblin In A Suit"

b) One is a "Trouble" - this is the main complication that makes the character's life less than idea
* Examples (continued from above):
** "Kinda Sorta Addicted to Meth"
** "Greedy Amoral A###ole"

and then 1 to 5 more that just flesh out the character. Since I'm not really looking for fully fleshed out characters, all I am asking or is 1... but you can do as many as you like up to five more.
* Examples (continued from above):
** "Would take Starbucks Intravenously If I could" and "Hipster before Hipster was Cool"
** "If it's not Scottish it's Crap" and "Closet Sado-Masochistic Freak"

6) Don't worry about power or supernatural abilities, I can take care of that. Basically you'll have either "Glamours" (ability to create illusions) or full magic (Seelie or Unseelie) or both, plus depending on your shtick, maybe supernatural strength, speed, toughness, or other such things. But this is less important than the previous 5 items I listed. If your character has an item that's central to the Fae myth (redcaps have red hats, selkies have seal skins, etc.) then I'll figure that out as well in terms of game mechanics.

Misc

This is "The Marchioness":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/dfd/characters/the-marchioness and "her Winter Court":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/dfd/characters?tag=Winter+Court in our version of Dallas

This is "The Duke":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/dfd/characters/the-duke and "his Summer Court":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/dfd/characters?tag=Summer+Court in our version of Dallas

Comments

• wolfhound
    wolfhound

Feel free to reply to this thread or message me. I'll take your art suggestion and character, work up a record sheet, drop it in our game as a Fae noble of some fief here in our Game.

ps - If you actually know the Dallas/Fort Worth area and want your character to have a particular "Fief" here's the list so far:
    "http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd/wikis/accorded-fiefs":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd/wikis/accorded-fiefs

pps - I make no promises that your character will be used or if used, lives. :)

Hope y'all have fun with it, if nothing else, I hope it's a fun diversion. If I even get one new NPC for our game, I'll consider this idea a success.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Well, will see what else I can come up with, but here's a few I've been using in my Shadows Campaign, though only one is specific to NYC (and can easily have her location changed) Don't know if you can use them, but figured I'd share anyhow:

1) Name: Aspen
    2) Actress: Francoise Boufhal
    3) Template – Dryad (Summer Fae)
    4) Aspects:
    High Concept: Technophile Dryad with a Lingerie Fetish
    Trouble: Trusts Easily
    Aspects: Svartalves Ran Electricity Into My Tree!, Oldest Tree In City Is My Home, Unrequitedly In Love With a White Council Wizard, Kaylee's Personality, Little Mermaid
    Syndrome, Mostly Familiar With Human Custom, One Strange Dryad
    5) Refresh/Skill Points (your choice, use the fewest that logically makes sense for the concept): 8/30 Chest Deep

Aspen is a Dryad, living in Central Park, near the Vanderbilt Botanical Garden. She has existed in the grove of trees in the park since before the Dutch arrived, and has seen the City grow up around her. She is fascinated by the modern world, and collects anything she can get her hands on of modern technology. Her ‘home’ is full of acquired phones, radios, watches, etc.

She is quite familiar with the attitudes of the people who live in the city around her, and therefore, unlike other dryads, traditionally appears to those she reveals herself to (usually young men), wearing revealing feminine lingerie, rather than the traditional nude of other dryads. Most of her kind think her strange for this, but she sees it only as common courtesy. Besides, she is obsessed with female lingerie, and how it affects men, and thinks wearing it makes her more attractive. She collects it like she collects technological toys, and various feminine articles can be found strew about her “home”.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    1) Name: Lady Ariel
    2) Actress: Christina Hendricks
    3) Template – Full Fae (Summer)
    4) Aspects:
    High Concept: Summer's Leanansidhe
    Trouble: Check Against Winter
    Aspects: Do Not Mention THAT Mermaid, Smooth Operator, Unearthly Beautiful, Most Powerful Sorceress In Summer After Titania, Titania Commands, Fascinated By
    Mortals, Enemy of The Leanansidhe
    5) Refresh/Skill Points (your choice, use the fewest that logically makes sense for the concept): More than you Listed

Lady Ariel is the handmaiden of Queen Titania of the Summer Court, and perhaps the most powerful sorceress in Summer, second only to Titania herself. She is joyous and carefree, and regarded as especially kindhearted among her kind. She is respected and generates fierce loyalty in her subordinates. Her loyalty to Titania and to Summer is unquestionable.

She is fond of music and dancing and her parties are legendary. She takes a peculiar interest in the affairs of mortals, spending frequent amounts of time away from Court,
    amongst mortals, even sometimes leaving her immortality behind to dwell AS a mortal, though the last time she did this was to spend time in the court of King Henry VIII of England. She also takes easy offense at any jokes relating her name to mermaids.

Like most of Summer, she is fiercely against Winter, especially her opposite number in the Winter Court, the Leaninshide. She does everything within her power to counter the Leaninshidhe’s moves and to cure the ills caused by her enemy.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    1) Name: Ellistrae
    2) Actress: Jennifer Lamiraqui
    3) Template – Fae Noble (Winter)
    4) Aspects:
    High Concept: Hand of the Winter Queen
    Trouble: Enemy of the Summer Hand
    Aspects: The Mantle Lets Me Lie, Mab Commands Me, For Winter, Little More Than A Whisper, No Ambition Of My Own, Sith Lords Wish They Were Feared As I Am, Unearthly Beauty
    5) Refresh/Skill Points (your choice, use the fewest that logically makes sense for the concept): 10/35 Submerged

Ellistrae is one of the deadlier members of the Winter Court, perhaps second only to The Leananshidhe in power. However, very few know her as anything more than a Winter Lady of the Court. Known only to Mab and The Leananshidhe, Ellistrae is The Queen’s Hand, a fae assassin and troubleshooter. Queens Hand is a position created secretly by Mab only after the betrayal of the last Winter Knight, Lloyd Slate, as he assisted the Summer Lady, Aurora, in her attempt to create a war between the Faerie Courts.

Created as a check against the power of The Winter Knight, The Mantle of The Queen’s Hand instills similar powers, while changing the very nature of the Fae upon whom the Mantle is bestowed. The Mantle overrides the Fae’s own ambition and desires, instilling an unbreakable loyalty to the Winter Queen and a need to carry out The Queen’s commands. When in the service of the Queen, the Queen’s Hand may lie, break bargains, and refuse offers.

Whispers of The Queen’s Hand fly throughout The Winter Court, and the title has become one that many in Faerie fear.

Ellistrae’s opposite within The Summer Court, is Shayleigh.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    1) Name: Shayleigh
    2) Actress: Clair Sinclair
    3) Template – Fae Noble (Summer)
    4) Aspects:
    High Concept: Hand of the Summer Queen
    Trouble: Enemy of the Winter Hand
    Aspects: The Mantle Lets Me Lie, Titania Commands Me, For Summer, Little More Than A Whisper, No Ambition Of My Own, Unearthly Beauty, Happier Than Santa Claus
    5) Refresh/Skill Points (your choice, use the fewest that logically makes sense for the concept): 10/35 Submerged

Shayleigh is one of the deadlier members of the Summer Court, perhaps second only to Lady Ariel in power. However, very few know her as anything more than a Summer Lady of the Court. Known only to Titania and Lady Ariel, Shayleigh is The Summer Queen’s Hand, a fae assassin and troubleshooter. Queens Hand is a position created secretly by Titania in response to Mab’s creation of a similar position within The Winter Court

Created as a check against the power of The Winter Queen’s

Hand, The Mantle of The Queen’s Hand instills similar powers to that of The Summer Knight, while changing the very nature of the Fae upon whom the Mantle is bestowed. The Mantle overrides the Fae’s own ambition and desires, instilling an unbreakable loyalty to the Summer Queen and a need to carry out The Queen’s commands. When in the service of the Queen, the Queen’s Hand may lie, break bargains, and refuse offers.

Whispers of The Queen’s Hand fly throughout The Summer Court, and the title has become one that many in Faerie fear.

Shayleigh’s opposite within The Summer Court, is Ellistrae.

Hope these are of some use.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth

• Joedylan2000
    Joedylan2000
    1) Anachain
    2) lily Collins
    3) “Template” –Winter Court Sidhe
    4) Aspects:
    High concept: Winter Sidhe Mother of Stormsylphs
    Trouble: Bored now
    *Gratuitous is a lifestyle choice
    *Who needs Dolls I have Daughters
    *I love my children in my own way
    *I also love those breaking noises.
    *Annoy me again and I will feed you to my daughters.

Those who know her see a dilettante schemer who might make a useful allie, Those who know her well see her collateral damage waiting to happen to someone.
    A low level Sidhe noble, Anachain is an elevated Slyph, whose powers lie in dominion over storms and destructive air phenomena ( she loves tornadoes) She is never happier than when flying with her daughters midst a raging storm, steering and riding the winds and perhaps nudging a tornado towards something breakable. Unfortunately sometimes the winds are calm and gentle and Anachain must make her own entertainment. She is driven to fill these times with politics ,parties and seduction. These often start well, but her own nature and impulses tend to disrupt even her best plans ( her trouble) so they end tend the same way, messily, with a lot of collateral damage, emotional, political and physical. And really thats the way she likes it, She just dusts herself off, has her daughters clean up the mess and starts again, filling time till the stormwinds rise.

5) Refresh/Skill Points — 10/35 Submerged O refresh

Claws -1, Wings -1 Inhuman speed -2 Inhuman recovery -2 Unseeli Magic – 4 physical immunity : Storms ( unharmed and unhindered by any storm) -8 Stacked catch + 7 (cold iron etc +4, stacked PM catch +3 (protects against one thing, 'not storms easy to come by',)
    Stunts - Power of Storms + 2 discipline while storm winds are blowing
    The Blessing of dutiful daughters + 1 Discipline for every one of her daughters assisting in ritual magic.
    Skills
    Conviction +5
    Deceive Lore Rapport + 4
    Perform Athletics Fight, Presence 3
    Discipline Empathy Endurance, Burglary 1

She has Superb conviction but only average discipline which means she can (and often does) call up far more power than she control, except when her stunts and aspects are applied. She and her daughters usually perform elaborate ‘air dances’ to enact more powerful rituals. She is also good at convincing people that ‘This time’ it will all go smoothly, trust me
    Post edited by Joedylan2000 on
  • Joedylan2000
    Joedylan2000
    Anachain's Daughters

She has seven daughters in her current acknowledged retinue , 6 Stormsylphs and a stormsylph changeling

The Stormslyphs
    The fey daughters of Anachain . They appear like girls in their late teens, with razor edged dragonfly wings and claws. They have an exceptionally strong resemblance in both demeanour and appearance and are rarely encountered singularly. Consequently most people who deal with them see no need to tell them apart. Unsurprisingly they work together exceptionally well.

1) Marisa, Elena, Moiré, Annalisa, Katrina and Colleen
    2) Played by Nina Dobrev
    3) Template Storm Sylph ( upgraded slyph template OW51)
    4)
    High concept: Anachain's Stormsylph Daughters
    Trouble: Mothers little minions
    Never such devoted Sisters.
    Sweet Girls till the claws come out.
    Practically interchangeable
    Hell hath no fury like a slyph that wants to dismember you and eat your entrails

Refresh 8 (all spent)

Claws -1, Wings -1 Inhuman speed -2 Inhuman recovery -2 physical immunity : Storms ( unharmed and unhindered by any storm) -8 Stacked catch + 7 (cold iron etc +4, stacked PM catch +3 (protects against one thing, 'not storms easy to come by',)

Rituals - 2 Storm Sheppard (Storm Sheppard allows control of weather especially bad weather)

Stunt : By the beating of my wings
    Allows Athletics to be use for discipline with the ‘ Storm Sheppard’ rituals. But only if the character is airborne with flapping wings

Skills Sylph Standard ( +Average lore ,uses a lot of declarations, aspects preparation and team work to enact rituals.)

———————————
    1) Irene Maxwell
    2) Played by Jenna Coleman
    3) “Template” – Changeling
    4) Aspects:High Concept : Anachain’s Stormsylph changeling daughter.
    Trouble:”Sometimes it sucks to be the one with freewill”
    There my family, of course I love them
    Actually I'm a vegetarian
    Sometimes Mother even listens.
    My sisters watch out for me

Refresh 8 remaining refresh 1
    Changeling powers -2 inhuman speed. -1 Claw Rituals - 2 Storm Sheppard (Storm Sheppard allows control of weather especially bad weather)
    Stunts: Fey Etiquette May use rapport rather than Lore to figure out Fey social situations
    Under my mothers protection +2 to discipline to resist emotion effecting glamours

Rapport Athletics +4
    Alertness Empathy Presence +3
    Fight Drive Discipline Lore +2
    Endurance conviction resources Academics stealth

Stunt: Faire Etiquette May use rapport rather than Lore to figure out Fey social situations

Irene’s father was a particularly handsome and persistent storm-chaser who found his daughter deposited on his doorstep 9 months after one really wild tornado season.
    She grew up happily enough till the dreams started shortly after puberty. She never quite managed to disbelieve her father when he finally told her about her mother. She stayed with him, resisting the calling of her blood until he passed away shortly after she finished high school. Then followed years of quite persistent hunting, and a gradual ( and terrifying) emergence into a world stranger than knew, for her to finally meet her mother and sisters. She was welcomed with open arms, a blessing she has come to see as... somewhat mixed. in the time since she has found herself being drawn into the whirlwind of events her mother seems to generate. Having free will and being mostly mortal she often finds herself being caught up in particularly Byzantine plans, or turned to for assistance in dealing with mortals or targeted as the weak link in one of her mother’s designs. Worse, able to see beyond the limits of her mothers and sisters nature, she might actually be able to make the come to fruition... or sabotage them without being caught. She has a streak of compassion, and has work to minimise the impact of her mothers schemes on the innocent, thought association has long convinced her to exclude the winter fey from that category. As and when she manifests fairy powers she grows younger changes to more closely resemble to her sisters, mentally and physically. Her first experience of the power of her heritage came when her father died, her grief turned the rain at the funeral into a raging storm and her haired changed colour over night. The the next manifestation came when looking for her mother, Claws sprouted during a nasty confrontation. The third came. more recently She found herself nearly crushed by a falling chandelier at one of her mother’s parties. Reacting on instinct she leapt out of the way ...at inhuman speed. She knows the ‘choice’ is being being made by inches, she dosnt know what to do. Sometimes she dreams of running away and leaving it all behind, other times she dreams of flying.
    Post edited by Joedylan2000 on
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    Thanks! These are great. I'm gonna get them worked up with a few I got from my players. Very helpful
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Only one I'm not sharing with you is "Druscillia":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/shadows-over-new-york/wikis/drucillia. The Commander of The Celery Queen's Forces remains MINE :)

Actually, if you REALLY want to, feel free to mod her as well.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    So, any hints of which, if any of the suggestions provided is going to make it into your game?

I'll admit, I'd LOVE to see all of mine enter into yours. 1- because that would be cool and 2- because it would be an ironic faelike means of paying you back. My site would NOT be what it is, Campaign of the Month and all, without your tutorials, assistance, encouragement, and your site as an inspiration

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth

• wolfhound
    wolfhound
    The Celery Queen!

No just kidding, though I do love that name, I'm actually pow-wow-ing with the other 2 GMs and i'm pretty sure most of them will make it in except tweaked down in level of court (instead of the Royal Court, the Ducal Court of Summer / Marquisate of Winter for our local game) ... I've been informed that Christina Hendrick's photo has already been called "Dibs" for another NPC by one of my co-GMs. ;)
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    I look forward to seeing what you do with it all.

As for The Celery Queen, well, she is one of my PC's, so, her I can't loan you :)

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    Post edited by Keryth987 on