[REQUEST] Warning about character images

Der_Dieben
Der_Dieben
edited July 2013 in Feature Requests
Hello and well met all,

It would be real nice to have a short warning by the upload button for character portraits that would alert the player that any unsaved data in the Dynamic Character Sheet will not be saved upon clicking the Upload button. Getting to the end of a character sheet and losing several hours of progress because of this is quite infuriating. Alternatively, causing the upload button to automatically save the sheet before performing the portrait upload would be just as welcome.
Besides this one frustrating hiccup, I've found the site to be a phenomenal resource.

Sincerely yours,
Dieben

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    DST's are created by users, not OP, so please do not blame OP for the lack of warnings on them.

Just trying to help out.

• wolfhound
    wolfhound
    I think the quirk he's talking about isn't specific to a DST, for example if (after creating any character, even if no DST is selected) you do the following

~ Hit Edit
    ~ Type some text in the Description or Bio boxes
    ~ bypass the "save button" and go directly to "update image" and then upload a picture

bang! ... any text changes you made are lost in the upload process.

So just as a User Experience issue
    Any user attempting to (post initial character creation) input new record sheet data at the same time as uploading their first picture (i.e. "do it all at once") would lose all the text data. I imagine a DST counts as "text" data for purposes of this.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I think I discovered this a long time ago, which is why I always add the pictures separately. But I remember that first time being a bummer as well. These days I just get into the habit of either saving in smaller blocks or (if adding mucho text) typing onto a wordpad and pasting it all in when I'm ready.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Der_Dieben
    Der_Dieben
    What wolfhound iterated is correct. Anything typed anywhere else that has not been save is lost if one attempts to upload an image at the same time. While I doubt I shall make the same error twice, it would likely be beneficial to future new users for a warning to be included by the portrait upload button.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    True, and I agree- I did it so long ago I forgot why I never did it again... a warning would be good.

Just trying to help out.

• Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    yep this has burned me too. Consider it experience for the future 8)