Zombie Survival Game

EliDavidBrown
EliDavidBrown
edited May 2013 in General Discussion
I am building my own zombie survival game. I know there are plenty out there and alot of them are great, but I needed a project to work out out of boredom. I was hoping to get some opinions/ideas on what people thought about some ideas I have come up with:

1. When you build your character you choose a starting class, which corresponds with what you were at the beginning of the outbreak. These would give you your starting abilities (knowledge of the use of guns, attack ability, stuff like that)
-Soldier, Blue Collar Civilian, White Collar Civilian, Doctor, Paramedic, Police Officer, Survivalist (just ideas I have).
-You also start with 1-2 Hobbies that can give you skills that you wouldnt normally have.
2. Use something like the Karma system that Shadowrun uses and that is how you raise your abilities and learn new skills once the game has started. That way you have more control over how you change.
3. Having a meter, once side is something called worldliness (or something like that) and the other is Psyche.
-Wordliness: This meter controls how hardened you are to things. Death, disaster, etc. Certain actions, choices and events will raise this number. (combat, having to chose between friends, etc)
-Psyche: This shows your mental stability. Certain actions, choices and events will lower this number. (seeing zombies for the first time, taking a large amount of damage at once time, seeing a friend die, stuff like that)
4. Using an action point type system, Instead calling it Luck, at the beginning of each game the Gm pulls a die from a bag and that tells you the number of Luck points you have for that session

Comments

• kettle
    kettle
    EliDavidBrown,

I love tinkering with game so I understand doing this sort of project. I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy building the game. Below are my opinions. They are only opinions and you should create the game you and your players want to play. Every group is different. That said, here are my thoughts:

1) I am not a big fan of class based systems. They work for games like D&D/Pathfinder, but I find them restrictive in more modern settings. I prefer a skill based character system. This is one of the reasons I went with Savage Worlds for my "Rise of the Dead":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/rise-of-the-dead You can still have "job" that provide skills to certain areas. Some games like the old Top Secret S.I. dictated where your skills points went based off of the starting career choice. Other games do something similar.

2) I love the Karma system in Shadowrun. Advancement is a hard thing to deal with in this type of game. I think a shadowrun style advancement system would be nice as long as it works with you primary dice mechanic and the math works out.

3) A lot of people like this kind of system. Me not so much. I am a big fan of games like White wolf that has this type of meter. Some people like it, other don't. I think these systems, which are designed to enforce roleplaying don't tend to work. If a player is not a heavy roleplayer, they will hate being forced to follow these types of rules. If the player is a heavy roleplayer, then the system will restrict their roleplaying.

4) I do love action points systems. Savage world's has bennies; Eberron has action points; Fate has fate points. I am a big fan of giving players resources to affect the outcome of the game. I even use the adventure cards in savage worlds to give players a little more control over the setting.

Again these are just my opinions. I love zombies so I look forward to seeing more of what you come up with.

Kettle
    "Rise of the Dead":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/rise-of-the-dead