More Fiddly Stuff About Tags

Comments

• DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    When I go to view an NPC page, it currently lists all of the Capitalized tags A-Z, _then_ all of the uncapitalized tags. Since I don't seem to be able to "re-capitalize" tags, it would really help me out to just have _all_ the tags listed A-Z, regardless of whether they're capitalized or not.

It would also be nice to select multiple NPCs so I can tag several at once, instead of adding it to each individually. I keep thinking of new things to tag after the NPCs have already been created...

Finally, it might be helpful to have the option to "narrow" a tag view. If I'm looking at all my "Dustmen" NPCs, it might be helpful to narrow that list to Dustmen who also have the "evil" tag. (Clicking an "evil" tag now takes me to a list of all "evil" NPCs now, of course.) This is really not a big deal, even with a cast of thousands like mine, but it still might be a nice option to have.
  • Micah
    Micah
    The narrowing you're talking about is called "faceting" in the search business. It's a really hot feature right now. I'd like to be able to facetize on all sorts of things (game system, tags, update time, you-name-it). That way, you can continually drill down until you've got exactly the set of items you want, based on all sorts of factors. Still, that's probably a loooong ways off.

When I get a chance, I'll sit down and try to rethink the tagging stuff. I've been promising to do it for a while, and I really mean it. I want to make it much more prominent and easy to use. Part of that will be doing a survey of all the other tag-based apps (like del.icio.us and such) and figure out what makes them work (or not work).

Anyways, thanks for the request!
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    Okay, sweet. Good to know!
  • Figment
    Figment
    bq. When I go to view an NPC page, it currently lists all of the Capitalized tags A-Z, then all of the uncapitalized tags. Since I don’t seem to be able to “re-capitalize” tags, it would really help me out to just have all the tags listed A-Z, regardless of whether they’re capitalized or not.

What I've been doing when OP capitalizes a tag is to replace the bad tag with the uncapitalized tag I want with an underscore at the end of the tag. "For example:":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/chaos_out_of_order/npc-tracker/human_ whenever I enter "human" as a tag, the system replaces it with "Human." So, I created "human_" to maintain the difference between capitalized and uncapitalized tags.