I think this is a bug...?

JoshuaBaldus
JoshuaBaldus
edited September 2012 in Bug Reports
Hello OP community and devs,

I've recently created a character for a campaign I'm in -- a very common task for most members! Fiddling with layouts kept me at for quite a while though, and now I think I have an idea why....

My character sheet renders properly on both my desktop PC (using Google Chrome browser), renders properly on my Asus Android Tablet (also using Chrome browser), but completely fails to render coherently on my Android phone, Motorola RAZR MAXX (using Chrome browser). Now if the failure was both tablet and phone, I'd blame it on the browser.

After playing around with HTML markup to get the sheet looking good, I gave up. It worked easier, and rendered better, using element styles plus the pipe style Textile table layout. At first, I used the underscore character (signifying a "header" cell), and all looked fantastic on my PC and tablet... then I looked on my phone -- it was awful. The text was bold, but didn't have the gradient background, and the text was center justified for each cell, making the overall layout atrocious.

Changing out the underscore header signifier, I used custom style tags for background color and font weight, and it looked much much better, though it still renders differently on my phone than PC/tablet. White space between cells.

I'm wondering if the Chrome user-agent field has something to do with it? On my PC and tablet, the user-agent appears the same. On my phone it's obviously a mobile phone user-agent, and the rendering is different. Are the phone and tablet versions of Chrome different even though both are built for Android? Or is there a difference in how the mobile version of the site renders pages?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
- JB

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    The rendering is different- my side bar covers all my pages on my Android phone. I just gave up. This occurred when the change in hosting occurred- and it works fine on tablet/IPad and computers, so I did not bring it up. It is a problem, but there are other issues (ask Black Vulmea) that are more pressing. If you disagree, and have a problem with it, I suggest submitting a bug report- the people who run this do a good job at addressing issues....
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• JoshuaBaldus
    JoshuaBaldus
    Long time getting back to this, sorry! Thanks for the response, killervp. I was mostly just wanting to verify that it wasn't some anomaly of my usage of Textile markup. Seems that I'm not, in fact going crazy, and I can live with the oddity of my phone rendering different than my PC and tablet. I caught wind of custom css styling being prototyped, and i'd rather see that developed than wasting time with fixing this particular issue - since custom css will (ostensibly) fix this particular problem as well (I hope!).

Thanks again for the feedback!