Summer Crossroads - Welcome to Hell's Half-Acre

CuRoi
CuRoi
edited July 2012 in General Archive
"Welcome to Hell's Half Acre":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/summer-crossroads/adventure-log

New adventure log posted for the site. We've been running a pretty rough and intermittent schedule but I think I have smoothed things out for now. I hope to keep the campaign going for a bit and there should be a new session every two weeks or so. I'm pretty proud of our session logs - mainly because I have some really creative players with a bizarre sense of humor and well, I like to write along with several of the players :)

A little under the hood for anyone playing FATE or the FATE based Dresden RPG. This session included a Poker game which I turned into a social conflict. It worked out pretty well for a last minute idea if I must say so myself.

Essentially, there was an Aspect of "Somebody's Cheating" at the table. With each successful attack you could shift the Aspect to someone else, turning the table's suspicions on that player. The group's poker player (and half faye gambler illusionist...) watched for a bit, saw someone get shot after being branded the "cheater" and decided to buy in. (She needed to keep someone at the table while the other players snuck into his house and stole something.)

She decided to defend against the "Cheater" aspect but focus on using her Incite Emotion ability to get the other players to trust her so they would eventually stop targetting her instead of uisng her "attacks" to pass the Cheater aspect. At one point she got tagged with "Cheater" and held on to it as she kept inciting trust around the table. This nearly caused a fight to break out when someone stood up to defend her, leading to a social "melee" between two of the players.

Things got dicey when she couldn't get the last guy at the table to "Trust" her, and he made a wickedly successful attack versus her Deceit (to hide the fact she was the branded "Cheater") which forced her to take a moderate consequence of "Under the Gun" as he dealt out a mono y mono hand while aiming a derringer at her face. She nailed it though on the attack following that and he put his gun away and the game continued.

Fun session that I think showcased what the FATE system can do. I'm starting to dig it, but still not incredibly happy with the "resources" ideas. Yeah, it shuts down the whole christmas tree affect of DnD, but it seems awkward and clunky to me. That's another thread entirely!