Is OP right for my community?

Nestor75
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
I am involved with a pretty large group (30+) of people that play Pathfinder Society Organized games using Fantasy Grounds II VT.

We currently are using Yahoo groups to organize, Yahoo is removing the application sign-up sheets in two days, so we are casting about trying to find something else that fits our needs.

Please keep in mind that we have multiple GM's and 3-4 of these will be moderators, the rest will not.

This is what we must have:

1.) Forums. good searchable forums, that can be moderated by multiple people. (the yahoo groups message board made me want to pull what is left of my hair out)
2.) File sharing data base, each player uploads his/her character xml export to an easily navigable data base.
3.) A calendar application that will allow multiple GM's (10+) to post games dates, and players can sign up, post character information.
4.) e-mail notification when new games are posted
5.) spam control

This is what we would like to have but is not exactly necessary, all this content must be easily editable by whoever created it, not necessarily moderators.

1.) Editable wiki type pages for GM's (and players) to post Voice client Info, info about what scenario's they have and are willing to run, and a another things they wish for people to know.
2.) Customizable forum signatures that can display Pathfinder Society info if someone wishes
3.) Polls
4.) Links page
5.) FAQ page

Keep in mind that we are trying to encourage people to GM, and we want it to be very easy to post a game date and find interested players.

I have played in a campaign where the GM used OP to organize the campaign in I was impressed with the functionality, but I do not know if it is suitable for our needs.

thanks

Comments

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    Hello,

First let me say welcome to the Obsidian Portal. A player in my group turned me on to the OP about a year ago. I must say I really like the portal it is a great community. I do not have a great deal of computer coding skills but Ithe Portal has inspired me to up my game.

Based on my Experience here are some answers to your questions:

1.) Forums. good searchable forums, that can be moderated by multiple people. (the yahoo groups message board made me want to pull what is left of my hair out)

*good forum page but not easily searchable.(hubris aside from what I have seen, my group makes really good use of the forums, I think the trick will be classifying your sub-forums). The Forums can only be admined by the account holder. :(*

2.) File sharing data base, each player uploads his/her character xml export to an easily navigable data base.

"*File sharing data base" - not in the traditional sense - you create wiki pages that contain info and players can access the page*.
    "*uploads his/her character xml export" - I personally have not had alot of luck with this but I have not throughly investigated it*

3.) A calendar application that will allow multiple GM's (10+) to post games dates, and players can sign up, post character information.
    4.) e-mail notification when new games are posted
    5.) spam control

*Answer to 3-5 - Yes absolutely spot on in relation to posting events, e-mail notification and spam control*

1.) Editable wiki type pages for GM's (and players) to post Voice client Info, info about what scenario's they have and are willing to run, and a another things they wish for people to know.

*yes to the wiki-pages, not sure about voice client*

2.) Customizable forum signatures that can display Pathfinder Society info if someone wishes

*I don't think so on forum signatures - should be able to create a wiki or cut / paste Pathfinder Society info*

3.) Polls

*maybe* - *I have not tried that*

4.) Links page

*yes* - *you can create a wiki-page and put links it to your hearts content*.

5.) FAQ page

*Yes, once again as a wiki-page*

*Hope this helps, - I highly reccommend looking around at the various pages many of the folks on here are way more skilled than I with the technical stuff and are super willing to help people out.*

Leonidas300
    "Manifestation of Chaos":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/main-page
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Leonidas has done an awesome review, so let me just welcome you! Great people here, and always willing to help out/answer questions.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/

Just trying to help out.

• Nestor75
    Can any member or gm create and edit wiki pages?

or just the account holder?

and am I corret in stating that multiple GM's can create and edit calendar entries, and players can post to them (sign up)
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Any member can create wiki pages, and you can set multiple people to be co-GMs (which allows them to edit the GM specific info, not sure on the calendar events). The primary account member must be an Ascendant member.

I recommend using google document for sharing or perhaps a file sharing site like dropbox or something along those lines, then just make a wiki page with appropriate links.

Survey Monkey offers free online polls, though I haven't made an account to see how good they are, and you likely won't be able to paste the code in the OP website due to coding restrictions, but you may be able to link TO the poll.
  • Nestor75
    Can files be uploaded to wiki pages?
    is there support for wiki page templates? (that way we could set up a wikipage where it is easy to manipulate, and use it as a form)

I am pretty sure that file uploads are supported, but can any member upload, or just the account holder?
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    I usually use the upload for pictures so I can drop them into the wiki easily. I believe any member can upload a file, but I'm certain there's a mb cap on what you can upload.

I would dedicate a wiki page to a template, ie "Template Page" so all the appropriate coding/information is present for copy and paste. Multiple template pages may be necessary for different groups, but at that point I'd just say "hey, get your own OP account."
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Also, check your mail. I sent you a PM with...sensitive information.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Nestor 75.

Welcome to Obisidian Portal. After Leonidas's review, I am convinced you will decide to stick around.
    It seems you have quite an impressive community of your own too, so in anticipation of your decision, I would like to say a big sloppy hello to all of your members!

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    Survey's from Survey Monkey can be linked to a wiki

"New Player Survey":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/new-player-survey

"Manifestation of Chaos":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger
    Leonidas300