Campaign Filters - System vs. Setting

CutGlass
edited April 2012 in Feature Requests
I don't know if this is a request so much as a suggestion, but the "System" list in the right-hand sidebar that you use to filter searches is starting to look a little messy and inconsistent.

Some games (e.g. D&D) have each new rules set listed as separate options (e.g. D&D 3.0, D&D 3.5, D&D 4E), whereas some (e.g. Legend of the Five Rings) have gone through several iterations of rules but are listed as a single link that encompasses all of them.

Would it make more sense to have "System" and "Setting" separated out somewhat? So, for example, D&D 3.5 and D&D 4e might be listed under System but the games could have "Eberron", "Forgotten Realms", or whatever for Setting.

I realise this might be a lot of work to go through the list and tidy it up (perhaps members could take over the data entry side of things?), and I'm not sure what implications it would have for existing campaign pages, but I thought I might as well throw it out there to see what people think.

Comments

• jacobkosh
    jacobkosh
    I've noticed this issue as well, but I don't know if a setting option would help; I'd bet that - for instance - most Vampire games take place in the default WW setting, but it would be nice to be able to narrow them down more than that.

I think the best solution would be campaign tags. Stuff like "Eberron" or "Forgotten Realms" or "The Third Imperium" could feature as tags, but so could "horror" or "mystery" or "Mass Effect" or whatever. I hate the feeling that I might be missing out on a bunch of interesting games just because they're in a system I wouldn't think to look at. Maybe someone's doing an amazing superhero campaign using Burning Wheel; I'll never know.
    Post edited by jacobkosh on