D&D/d20 magic

morkleb
edited February 2012 in General Archive
I have posted on here before about creating a new game and I am wondering what people think of the way that DnD 3.5 and the d20 modern verse way of doing it. Or do you think that a point based way of doing magic, like Psionics are done, would be better. That way if you wish to sink everything into a simple spell for the "OH SHIT I"M GONNA DIE!!!" moments that tend to happen alot in comics and some campaigns.

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hey there Morkleb. I think that the 3.5e "Spell Slot" system is simpler and requires less book keeping, but that a "Mana" system is more flexible and allows the players more options. So you have two competing goods here that you have to decide between. If you are trying to go with a "rules lite" game with relatively little book keeping, I'd go with the first option. If you want a more robust system of magic which gives players more of the reigns I'd go with the "Mana" system.

The funny thing is, I've recently been asking myself the same question that you have since I too am in the (slow) process of creating my own gritty, rules lite version of 3.5e. Despite what I've said, I made the decision to go with the Mana system, even though it does add more complexity to the book keeping.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Arsheesh, glad you are going with Mana- as you know, I am all about allowing players flexibility.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Yup, in fact, the system that I hope to put together would attempt to maximize player flexibility not only in the realm of magic, but also with regard to options for character advancement. I'm planning on bucking the whole level system altogether in favor of a point based advancement system. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • morkleb
    The one thing that has annoyed me a little is the fact that there are just SO many spells out there. I'm wanting to just use a elemental system where they learn at least one close spell, one medium ranged spell one long range spell and of course the one I kill the whole room spell if I get lucky. A school teaches one element as well as a few general spells, learning more than one element is allowed and with that it would allow some combining of elements for some interesting effects.
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    the trouble with point based system is that its possible to have it not scale well at higher "Levels" I had to rebalance my math with it to make sure there was a real difference between the lower and higher skill levels. Possible but play test it a lot
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I prefere every spell to be a skill in and of itself. Then you ballance the wizard in the group vs the brick. In most games like DnD, the wizard at the higher levels always wins. The brick becomes nothing more that a mook slayer. The wizard walks through walls, summons armies, blasts the soul right out of his enemies, etc.

When you make each spell a skill, it limits the wizard and he grows at the same rate at the brick. He still has potential to be powerful but he never truly outpaces all the competition. Unisystem did this very nicely and I would suggest you take a peak.
    Post edited by Baalshamon on
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Here's what I have come up with for my second edition D&D game... I'm still tweaking it, but here's what I have so far.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/legends-of-the-middle-ages/wikis/Game-System

Or if that link won't click, here's the text:

How Mage’s Spells Work

Mage’s spells are based upon spell points – which is basically the magical power within each mage to use magic. The mage can use her spell points to cast any spell known from her spellbook as long as she has enough points to do so. There is no memorization prior to guess which spells may or may not be needed, this gives the mage far more flexibility and usefulness.

At first level, a mage has one spell point. All first level spells cost one spell point, therefore a first level mage only has the capability to cast one first level spell, just like in the AD&D 2nd Edition rules. Each level of spell has a spell point cost:
    1st level – 1 spell point
    2nd level – 2 spell points
    3rd level – 4 spell points
    4th level – 8 spell points
    …Etc..

The rate at which a mage earns more spell points grows with level advancement:
    Level 1 – has 1 spell point
    Level 2 – has 2 spell points
    Level 3 has 4 spell points
    Level 4 has 7 spell points
    Level 5 has 12 spell points
    Level 6 has 16 spell points
    Level 7 has 26 spell points.

A mage cannot learn or cast a spell that is beyond his level as in standard AD&D 2ed rules, ie: a 4th level mage cannot cast any spell of third level or higher – at fifth level mage would be able to. If compared to the standard rules, you would see that the spells that could be cast work out to be the same, if the mage had chosen to do so.

The mage may also choose to spend more points than what is required on a spell for additional effect. She may want an offensive spell to cause more damage. Or perhaps have a light spell given the ability to move where the mage wants it rather then remain fixed onto something. Maybe to increase the range or duration of a spell. The higher the level of spell the more spell points will be needed to successfully increase its power. Also, anytime a mage chooses to add power to a spell, there is a chance of failure. The mage must roll vs. their intelligence (or something else per DM’s discretion) to succeed.

The mage still needs to study her spells. Any spell that has not been studied recently has a chance for failure. A good mage is always practicing her work.
  • morkleb
    How long do the average combat scene's in rounds anyway?
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    I developed a "mana system":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/heurdenvaar/wikis/mana-system for my game and everyone seems to like it. A slight power problem arises at the higher levels that should be pointed out: magic users become powerhouses that tend to dwarf other's abilities. This could be worked around from a number of perspectives, such as rolling concentration checks to make casting a spell a little more difficult or something of that nature. But as with anything, you can totally put your own spin on things. If you like what I have, you can also use this "mana calculator":https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6eL9Obw6S21Mzg3NTAwODYtYWJjNS00OTkyLThiMzAtMzJjODdkMWJhMzUz/edit pdf to make figuring mana a little easier (at the top left, click File>Download as it won't work from the website itself). Just remember to add in the bonus spells when you're putting in the spells per day.

"Shared Creations(Share your links and stories here, please! Help expand this libram of knowledge!)":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shared-creations
    "Heurdenvaar(stray's current campaign)":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/heurdenvaar
  • morkleb
    Thanks and this is almost perfect for what I am looking for.
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Glad to be of help. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    There is also the mana system in Unearthed Arcana 3.5 book (pg. 153) called spell points.

-Jaymes

"Changing History":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/l5r-changing-history