Kicking off a pathfinder game, help!

DreadGazebo
DreadGazebo
edited January 2012 in Campaign Portal Building
Hey everybody,

I've come to ask some advice from any dedicated pathfinder-heads out there, my group is going to be trying out Pathfinder for a while as I'm completely enamored with it at the moment. Perhaps my rose colored "played more 3e than any other edition" goggles coupled with my recent distaste for the glut of 'power card bonanza' feeling I get from 4e have put me in such a state, but regardless I'm loving the system so far - I've picked up all the core books after having gotten the beginner box for xmas. It's time to dive in!

What I need is suggestions for what to run, I'd like to just start using a published adventure to get a good feel for the system and I'm looking for suggestions. Trying to deviate from anything too sinister/dark as my players just got out of a Ravenloft campaign prior to this one. I'm looking for something a little more along the lines of typical fantasy fare but with some personality of its own, along with room to breathe or add in my own twists/customizations. Players will be starting at level 1.

Any ideas? I'm late to the pathfinder community and have NO idea where to start!

~ Jerry, your loyal and pathfinder-curious content director.

Comments

• JohnHutchenreuther
    JohnHutchenreuther
    The Pathfinder adventure paths are fantastic. The only one I've run personally is the Rise of the Runelords. It was great fun, though I have to admit that anyone looking at the motivations of the villians in the early stories gets to see a bit of the darker side of fantasy. When I ran it, I had a large group so XP started to get a little thin on the ground for them. I ended up running the game as about 50% the adventure path, 50% my own side content to promote individual character growth. The six adventure plot chains generally carry a character all the way from level 1 to level 17 or so.
  • KenSee
    KenSee
    Well, if you have the beginner box then there is a starter adventure inside. You could tweak it for more/fewer players and then it also provides ideas for further adventures. Its a great starting point and the beginning adventure is a great way to learn how to build good and challenging encounters.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I really suggest Runelords- great adventure!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Duskreign's "COTM for November 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    I have to agree with the rest - start with RotRL and go from there. Great resources are available on OP - check out some of the RotRL campaigns hosted on the site.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Catch me on Google+ for a hangout when you see me online. I can hit you with a load of DM's tips for easing the transition from 3.5 to Pathfinder. Once you've played a few sessions you will be addicted, I was and I've been playing since 1e.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• jabberwonky
    jabberwonky
    I'm in a similar boat, starting a Pathfinder game of my own soon -- I decided to do the Kingmaker adventure path, as it has a really nice blend of traditional table top exploration/combat, Some great RP hooks, as well as lets your group create and run a knigdom of their own. This should allow the heroes to make their mark on the world, and create a rich backdrop of player created mythos for subsequent campaigns as well.

The resource I've found most helpful in prepping and gettign set up for it is the Paizo.com forums, specifically the message boards set up for each adventure path. These let you see what others have done and shared on a given adventure path, and talk with a community of folks with experience in the path you're looking at running. Here's the link: "paizo adventure path forums":http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/adventurePath