Confusion over Invites

The_Grim_MacKay
The_Grim_MacKay
edited December 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
I recently set up my first campaign (it will actually be someone else's, but I'm setting up the framework under my ascended account). As a test, I sent an invite to myself under another email address. The Invite never arrived - by which I mean that email address never received an invite. I have since Invited the entire party (via email) - to the best of my knowledge, nothing has arrived.
In looking at various invite problems, I note there is a suggestion to use their account names instead of their email address. This implies that in order to be Invited to a campaign, you must FIRST have an Obsidian Portal account. Is this correct? Not being able to Invite an outside party (even if they need to set up an account afterwards) seems... well, rather useless. I'm hoping I'm faced with some other issue, technical or otherwise, but if membership in Obsidian Portal is a prerequisite to being invited, I was unaware of it.

Please enlighten me.

thanks!

The Grim MacKay

Comments

• KenSee
    KenSee
    Interesting, my last campaign I had problems where people didn't get invites either. What type of email did they use? (eg. @gmail.com/@xxx.edu/@yaho.com/etc....)
  • The_Grim_MacKay
    The_Grim_MacKay
    A variety: gmail, hotmail, exchange (@microsoft.com)... I ran the test on my home email that comes through my personal website, which is simple POP.
    I did get one OOF reply, so I guess it got through to one. But I still don't understand why I didn't get one at home. that address IS different from the one on my OP account - but how would the system even know it was me?
    The thing I'm trying to find out here is strictly whether or not an OP account is required in advance - which I assume it is NOT. But a little verification never hurt...
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I have only done invites with people that already have OP accounts, so I don't know.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Duskreign's "COTM for November 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• The_Grim_MacKay
    The_Grim_MacKay
    BTW, I did hear from Micah, as I have an open support ticket on this. The answer to the question is...

bq. Yes, you can send invites to any email address. If they don't have an OP
    account yet then they will be invited to create one. Otherwise, if they
    already have one then it will route directly to their username.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks for the update!

Just trying to help out.