Similar to the "Characters" tab, could we have a "Locations" tab?

AugustusGloop
edited December 2011 in Feature Requests
I love, love, LOVE the characters tab. Being able to organize my npcs in one place and link them into campaign writups without having to create a new wiki page for each one is really a time saver. The Dresden Files RPG treats Locations in the same way as characters. They have traits and motivations and real game system effects. I would love a separate Locations tab that works exactly the way the Characters tab does, with a quick location add sidebar for when we're "in the thick of it".

Thank you!

edited for persnickity grammar.

Comments

• Morrinn
    Morrinn
    I peripherally support this idea. It would be nice to have the option to include a locations system in the same vein as characters, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with it if I didn't want it.
    For example, some people on OP do away with maps altogether, others don't utilize the item feature at all, so these tabs kind of end up being useless on many campaigns. I'd think the same might happen with locations or other such additions to the format.
    For my two cent's, I'd like to be able to toggle systematic tabs that would appear in your wiki (Characters, Items, Locations, Maps, Spells, Feats/skills, etc...) on or off.
  • AugustusGloop
    I like that. To expand on it a little: perhaps the ability to call tabs multiple times (and in any order) with separate results for each tab. For instance if you want a world maps and a local maps tab, they could be separate lists.
  • Feachador
    Feachador
    For each campaign I've created, I've ended up making a wiki section for locations, so I could definitely use this as well, I think.
  • WolfLord
    WolfLord
    I think the addition of a locations tab, as well as other specialized tabs, along with the ability to customize your campaigns navigation bar (maybe only for ascendant members to give them another reason to subscribe haha) would be an exceptional pair of new features for OP
  • ActionHankDE
    ActionHankDE
    I also support the idea of a separate locations tab.
  • AugustusGloop
    Just to continue this brainstorm: I noticed another thread about someone who wants to create links back to the main menu tabs. I myself use a side bar menu on each of my wiki pages (I try to anyway, but I'm lazy about updating, and lazy about learning enough css to make it easier). There's a workaround by using an html link and just altering the color of your links/clicked links to match.

tl;dr: +can we set slugs for the custom/default menu tabs to make linking to them a lot easier?+
  • Great_Owl
    Great_Owl
    I think the 'Location Tab' would be extremely useful if it was like the 'Character Tab': To place a picture to give an overall look or feel for the place in question would be a fantastic resource for individuals who have never been to said location. Add an appropriate description and *BANG*, you have a great new setting in your campaign! Thanks, AugustusGloop, for suggesting this! I'm glad someone did (and I'm glad I searched for it before suggesting it as well)!
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Hey guys, figured I'd drop in here and shed some light on discussions like this one. Not too long ago Micah wrote a "Behind The Curtain":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/behind-the-curtain-what-were-up-to/ post about what we've been up to. We are approaching completion with some of our back end server stuff and should in the not too far off future begin looking at adding and improving features to the site. Just wanted to let you guys know that we do read all of these threads and are very aware of our wonderful community. If you've got any further questions or comments for me, feel free to send me a DM, drop me an email, find me on twitter, or any other means of communication in which I'm forgetting!
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Locations can be organised, in multiple ways, by using tags already, and I add pictures to locations when I need them, without the limitation of a pre-formatted box like the Character and Item pages.

I wouldn't like to see the bar get any more cluttered than it already is.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - swashbuckling adventures in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
    Featured Campaign of the Month - August 2011