running the game

quode
quode
edited December 2011 in General Archive
Hola

First love the site and it looks awsome on my I pad. In fact its so awsome I plan to use it as a place to put all my game info and then use it to run my game. Has anyone done this before? What are the limits in number of wiki pages/storage? Any good advice?

Regards
Ken

Comments

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    I don't know about storage of the number of pages. There is an ascended storage limit on pictures, but ive never met it yet. I do exactly that on my laptop. 100% of my game information is on the site and most of that in the GM section. It depends on how you play your game. In my sanctuary game i had a gm page with the next adventure. In OCP I was putting all of the information on the individual cases. With the "Broken Road":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/private-while-under-construction I have kind of a mix of the 2. I have a page specifically for brainstorming then as I create that weeks adventure i place it on that page for reference as I play the game. Hope this helps!
  • Morrinn
    Morrinn
    I purely use my portal as an info dump and visual guide through the world I'm running. I put up session information, handouts and basic fluff so the players can check up on names and dungeons past. All the game related information is kept within my copy of Masterplan which I use to orchestrate my games.
    I can totally see someone utilizing OP during gaming, especially if you are playing online and over a virtual tabletop or pbp games or whatever.
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Using it during the game is easy. Mostly because I keep forgetting my hand written notes. and if formatted correctly just about anything is easy to view on line.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    My game is completely online (we game over skype, literally across north america) and I keep most things here. Would not even begin to know how to do without.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Duskreign's "COTM for November 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    I run _Le Ballet_ from my laptop; I record notes in a little spiral notebook as we play, as a reminder sheet for writing my adventure log, but virtually all of my campaign information, encounters, and such is on the wiki. In fact, when I ran my solo experiment, I didn't even use that - everything, including dice rolling, was on the computer.

As far as storage goes, I have somewhere in the vicinity of 400 pages in my wiki, plus a couple of dozen items and about 300 non-player characters, only about two-thirds of which are visible at the moment. No one's tapped me on the shoulder yet to say, "Uh, that's enough." I do use Photobucket for all of my pictures, except character and item illos.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - swashbuckling adventures in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
    Featured Campaign of the Month - August 2011
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    With the exception of the dice rolling that's more or less what I do. Me and my players for some reason don't like the dice rolling on the computer. Sure i know that mathematically its almost identical, but there is just something about the happy fun buzzers physically rolling on the table.
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    bq. Me and my players for some reason don
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    perhaps thats it the social angel. Ive used thee on line one to roll up characters and such, but during the game we like the physical ones. To each their own of course the ultamet goal is to have fun.