I need some simple banner graphics work done (artist needed)

AugustusGloop
edited December 2011 in Player Lounge
I'm using Obsidian Portal to host the information needed to run my monthly local Dresden Files RPG game, The Albany Files. I would love a banner graphic of the skyline, with

"The Albany Files"
A Dresden Files RPG Game

emblazoned across it. I don't have any skill with, or inclination to learn, photoshop or gimp or whatever talented people are using nowadays. I'd be glad to trade for a little creative writing for your campaign, or something else reasonable. Here's a link to my (in development) campaign if you're interested: "The Albany Files: Politics, Murder, and Weirdness. That's Albany.":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/thealbanyfiles

Here's the skyline I've been using:
!imageurl!:http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/89128/Albany-Skyline.jpg

~edit: thanks for bringing the broken link to my attention!~

Comments

• RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Howdy Augustus - Welcome to the Portal!

That's a beautiful Skyline. I'd be more than happy to work with you on that - do you know the kind of font you want/style/color? Any mood you want to evoke?

Also: "Fixed link":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/thealbanyfiles
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi Augustus.

I'm sure with your brilliant "skyline" and Rase's skill and enthusiasm, you will come up with a winner.
    Welcome to the Portal, where you have obviously already found out that everyone is pretty cool.

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• AugustusGloop
    Hi Rase!

I love how the skyline already has movement, the car lights streaking on a long exposure, but if you have any idea how to make it more evocative of crime drama, something that feels like a call to action! Whatever you come up with will be amazing. Thanks a ton!

Hi twiggy,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! I already don't know what I'd do without ObsidianPortal's amazing features, I'm considerably more organized than I was prior to finding it (in a google search for "please god let there be some program that can organize my table top pen and paper rpg") and I'm feeling much more confident about my game. Now I'm looking for incentives to get my players here, and I figure some flashy graphics will help.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Okay Augustus - we're all set. I spent a bit of time on this one, but I'm happy how it came out.

Here's the "off-site link":http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/apmunson/Projects%20for%20OP/TheAlbanyFiles.jpg to the Photo you requested edited. Please let me know if this is what you had in mind! I had a lot of fun messing around with it :)
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Ok, I am jealous... 10 hours from start to finish... Wow!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Looks good to me!!!

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Yup, looks fairly legit. BTW, I like the idea of bartering with one's skills. I knew a guy who did some logo work for a local trucking company in order to secure free shipping for a year.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • AugustusGloop
    Wonderful! Let me know if there's any writing or editing (or whatever) I can do in return. I'll credit the graphic to you on the front page.
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    Stuff like this is why I love the OP community. Banner looks great by the way but why are you not using it in the banner spot?

-Jaymes

"Changing History":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/l5r-changing-history
    Post edited by JaymesBolton on
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    N-I-C-E

Good job Raze! Great start Augustus! To get players to visit and use the site what I'd do is exp rewards or bonuses of some sort doesn't the fate system have some sort of Story Point Reward if I recall correctly?
  • AugustusGloop
    Fate Points are what you're thinking of, but they're a bonus to what you've rolled, or a chance for players to add to the narrative, "I noticed there was a fire extinguisher in the hall. I get it, and sneak up behind the thug with the gun."
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I would love some free shipping for a year - hahahaha. Augustus, if you have any ideas for a short "news" clippit about some strange goings on that may be happening in Chicago, that would be helpful. The oddness that vampires hiding from the public might cause, or werewolves, mages, etc... just "out of the public eye" as it were. I'll even doctor up an "Author" of your choice based on the article you write (If you don't mind, that is.)
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Well I shared this with Morrinn via PM but it might work well modified into your area too Rase - Read the "Little Sisters of Eluria" by Stephen King. It's a short story so it will be an easy read.

Set in the Dark Tower universe Roland (the Gunslinger) gets banged up off screen - when the story starts up he is being nursed back to health by a bunch of Nuns, little does he know the nuns are actually Vampires.

Shenanigans and other antics ensue when one of the strongest amongst them falls for our hero...

If you have questions on it or want to spitball ideas I would be happy to help out via PM.

In return I am hoping someone will help me out with some graphics work for buttons and the like for my sidebar ... my top tabs overlay and some other lil stuff I have started working on it myself but my Gimp skills are crappola to be frank. (P.S. My name is not Frank, nor is it Nick).

And if you say surely you cant be serious I will tell you not to call me Shirley.

All kidding aside I am nearly maxed out in the art depart after my crappy efforts at a Bad Wrong Fun banner.

I am sure some of you might be able to help.
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Well I shared this with Morrinn via PM but it might work well modified into your area too Rase - Read the "Little Sisters of Eluria" by Stephen King. It's a short story so it will be an easy read.

Set in the Dark Tower universe Roland (the Gunslinger) gets banged up off screen - when the story starts up he is being nursed back to health by a bunch of Nuns, little does he know the nuns are actually Vampires.

Shenanigans and other antics ensue when one of the strongest amongst them falls for our hero...

If you have questions on it or want to spitball ideas I would be happy to help out via PM.

In return I am hoping someone will help me out with some graphics work for buttons and the like for my sidebar ... my top tabs overlay and some other lil stuff I have started working on it myself but my Gimp skills are crappola to be frank. (P.S. My name is not Frank, nor is it Nick).

And if you say surely you cant be serious I will tell you not to call me Shirley.

All kidding aside I am nearly maxed out in the art depart after my crappy efforts at a Bad Wrong Fun banner.

I am sure some of you might be able to help.
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Thanks for the offers all Raze is on it... Sending him a detailed message now.
  • jhilahd
    jhilahd
    Awww poo, late to the party. I know you already have a banner up, but I was feeling creative this morning.
    Here's my take on it.
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/jhilahd/?action=view&current=Albany-Skyline_banner1.jpg

and apparently I can't get a link to work...
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    That's pretty sweet looking. The blues look much bluier than in mine. I like the way you did the font - what style is it?
  • jhilahd
    jhilahd
    Thanks.
    I went in to Photoshop and adjusted the levels to make the midtones pop more.
    The font is Requiem. It's free http://www.dafont.com/requiem.font

What I enjoyed was I read the first post, and didn't even look to see if it had been completed. So I put that together, and when I started to post I saw your posts. Followed them and lol'd at the fact we used skyline image. :D
    I like what you did, btw.

edited because simple spelling is hard.
    Post edited by jhilahd on
  • AugustusGloop
    Oh well done jhilahd! If it's alright with you I'm going to use these two in a regular rotation. As soon as I can find some -sucker- kind soul to help me with the css, I'm going to do a better site design and having a few banners to rotate through will help keep things fresh until then.
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Wow really nice banner! I like it a lot - if you're feeling generous and are open to doing some artwork to help support my paltry efforts from time to time drop me a line at the.maze.controller @ gmail dot com. I will explain the various mad visions I have boiling about in my grape (Slang for head for non English speakers).

Most of it is future work as things progress but I am looking to engage with a talented artist for sure. Do let me know!

P.S. I cannot spell to save my life. If someone held a gun to a loved one's head and asked me to spell electrician (I used spell check) I would instead spend the time letting that loved one know that I will miss them and how much they meant to me.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Augustus:
    I don't think we can do image rotation in CSS. As far as I'm aware, we're limited to .gifs or changing it manually. What kind of things are you trying to accomplish with CSS?

Jhialahd:
    That's a pretty swank font. Did you pull a separate image? our dimensions are different.
  • AugustusGloop
    Rase:

It's not CSS specifically, I'm just jealous of the really awesome layouts I've seen on the few campaigns I've had the chance to investigate. However, I'm actively trying not to get too excited about the look of the site yet, and trying to focus on getting my story off the ground and players engaged with the site. I've had limited success, and I'm hopeful about getting a few more of my players to contribute.

Also, I'm not above changing the banner manually. Is there some code I can use to "comment" out sections of the wiki so I would just need to add/remove comment code to swap banners?
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Awesome! Someone who speaks my language. There is a commenting out code.

Insert hidden comment info here

That should sort you out. When you do decide to get fancy with your code, just let me know and I'll help you as much as you want.

...also, that article you sent me is AWESOME. Perfect. Now I just need a good name for your reporter alias, and I'm all set.
  • AugustusGloop
    For whatever reason,
    stuff
    didn't work. I ended up putting the markup in the GM information, and I can copypasta more easily later.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    That's strange... what textile version is your campaign running in? Because it should work.

Try testing out the code from the following page somewhere on your wiki.

"Link Goes Here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/housecorinthyen/wikis/character-sheet

That should look seamless, and it has the Pclass hide throughout
  • AugustusGloop
    I'm not sure if it's my browser, but the code I added shows a character sheet that covers up the controls on the page so I can no longer edit the page.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Strange - to edit any page and get rid of offensive code, just throw a /edit in your html link for that page, and you can get rid of it.

I guess that one was meant to go in the "GM Secret" panel... :P
  • AugustusGloop
    That worked. I deleted the page. Good tip!
  • jhilahd
    jhilahd
    Rase, I grabbed the image from the wikipedia entry for Albany. If I need to resize it, someone post the specs and I can make it happen.
    And sure, I've been sitting on my campaigns, doing exactly zero with them on Obsidian. But love alot of what I see here, and so my first time on the forums, I saw this thread and thought "what the heck."
    So yeah, if you need help with some images/designs/et al I'd be glad to help.

And an animated gif might work.
    You could interpose 3-4 different images.
    Rase's first image, then maybe something related more to your story, my image and then another image/text related to the overall campaign. Just a thought...
  • AugustusGloop
    Specs for the campaign banners are 750x300. An animated gif might work, but I'd want each image to wait a long time before switching. Most that I've seen change pretty quickly, so I don't know how that'd work. Also I need to be aware of space limitations. I'm trying to include a portrait for each of my supporting cast, and I don't want to run out. (Although with close to 5 gigs for space, I guess there isn't much chance of that anytime soon).