Hello, all.

malcolypse
malcolypse
edited December 2011 in Player Lounge
Quick rundown of my gaming history.

After two failed games of D&D, I was pretty disinterested in the game part of roleplaying games. This would have been about 1990-ish. I was still hopeful that something would snag me and soon, my aunt married a man who, along with several of his friends, had developed their own roleplaying system called Worlds Unbound.

It was amazing. The first game he ran with me in it was a super hero game, and I was hooked. The next time I visited, he ran a murder mystery (who knew that enough nicotine would kill someone, much less that it was a major ingredient in rose food). Third was his take on Twilight: 2000. Then came a "weird west" style game (I'm sure that his home was bugged, this happened about a year before I saw Deadlands on store shelves).

All using one system that was simple enough that it was easy to push aside and concentrate on the roleplaying part of roleplaying games.

While still playing Worlds Unbound, I began to expand my RPG repertoire. AD&D second edition, the World of Darkness system, and a few more also became regular distractions. The D6 Star Wars Rolelpaying Game was always a favorite.

Third edition D&D and 3.5 led me to Pathfinder, a game of which I play in every other week. I've personally fallen back on Star Wars as a bi-monthly GM, and am in the planning stages of a Worlds Unbound game called Shattered Oz.

Comments

• RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Welcome to the Portal, Malcolypse!

That sounds like a wonderful roleplaying introduction! I wish mine had been that gentle, instead of the tumultous crapshoot it turned out to be. Will it be a similar sort of thing to the proper Oz, with ruby slippers in tow?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Welcome to the Portal!! I personally hope it is based on the original Baum books, of which there are over 20, and definitely not just kids stuff. Heres to Tic Toc!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Duskreign's "COTM for November 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• Morrinn
    Morrinn
    Excellent introduction malcolypse, welcome to the Portal.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some of your stuff.
    This Worlds Unbound system, is it available for viewing anywhere, or is it something exclusive for your gaming table? anything you can tell us about the mechanics?
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Welcome Malcolypse, sounds like you had a pretty killer DM! Like Morrinn, I'm looking forward to hearing more about the mechanics of World Unbound. At any rate, hope to see you around the forums in the weeks to come.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Welcome to the Portal.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - swashbuckling adventure in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
    Featured Campaign of the Month - August 2011
  • malcolypse
    malcolypse
    @Rase Cidraen - in proper Oz, the slippers are silver, but they decided that they needed to be brighter for the original movie.

@killervp - Somewhere in the middle of the original books, Wicked, and Twilight: 2000. Tic Toc is going to be a 25 foot tall monstrosity along the lines of a Steam Golem from the Mage Knight miniatures game.

@Morrinn and arsheesh - The system isn't mine to distribute, so I won't go into too much detail, but it definitely is a system that needs to be out there. It's core is two charts, one for general actions and one for direct head to head competition.

The action chart is for combat and any other roll that will require a success or fail result. The characters have stats ranging generally from 1-10, though the chart has a much wider range, to account for positive or negative modifiers as well as extreme success or failure. Rolls are made by finding the column that matches the characters ability, sliding left or right a number of places to account for mods, and trying to roll at or higher than the indicated percentage. Extreme failure is punished and extreme success is rewarded.

The head to head chart is also based on the character stats, but is used to determine degrees of success. Both players roll a die, then consult the corresponding numbers on the chart. It's possible for someone with a 3 in a skill to beat someone with a 6, but the chart is set up so that the lower stated character would have to roll much higher than the higher stated player to do so. The same character with a 3 would have no chance of out doing someone with a 10.

I'm almost to the point that I want to try to convince the authors to let me try to get it out as a pdf. I think in a D20 world, many gamers are looking for something different.

Many thanks to every one of you for the warm invites and the interest.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi Malcolypse

Good to meet you and to read about your gaming history. The "Worlds Unbound" system sounds very adaptable and your scenarios sound fun.
    I will keep an eye out for more input from you in the future.

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member