Central Art Gallery?

DamienMaster
DamienMaster
edited December 2011 in Feature Requests
Like a lot of people here, artwork is a big part of my campaign http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders.

However... The current way the gallery is set up doesn't allow for you to update, reuse or even find a specific piece of art, particularly as I like to repeat images like character portraits (as PCs & NPCs reoccur in the story) .

What I would like to see?

A single art gallery used for ALL art; including maps, character portraits and Wiki pages.
The ability to view and sort your gallery by different categories; (particularly) alphabetical, date, size, tag, file format etc.
The ability to update an image and in turn update all it's uses across the site.

I might send this request directly to the (awesome) powers that be BUT, I thought I'd run it by the community to make sure I'm not the only person who would appreciate this and if there's any other additional ideas we could include.

Thanks!

D

Comments

• Morrinn
    Morrinn
    I definitely think that the media gallery tools could be updated to include some of the things you suggested. At the moment I'm supplementing my campaign with off site links to my Photobucket Account, which serves all my current needs.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    yeah, photobucket, imgur and flickr are all good sites for external hosting. On my main page I was up to 70 pages of images in the Media Gallery. It got to the point that if I wanted to use an image that I had previously used, I just uploaded it again cause I couldn't find it, or I would have to find a page that I used it on, and grab the link that way.
  • Morrinn
    Morrinn
    I am the same way with Photobucket.
    It has all these awesome customization options for creating directories and a public media gallery with annotated pictures, comments and all the other bells and whistles. Unfortunately I'm not very good at multitasking, so when I'm working on coding a page, or writing, or what have you, I can't be arsed to create a new folder, tag the images correctly and add all them bells and whistles, so I just dump them on to this big fuck all directory and regret it later.
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    Might I suggest that for the time being, if you must upload to the site, that you try creating your own central art gallery. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but I imagine you could upload everything to one article (or maybe separate articles), and then link to those pages as if you were linking an off-site image.

-Beaumains

[EDIT]: great idea by the way; it would be awesome if we could have our own version of "wikimedia":http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Post edited by Beaumains on
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    I would be happy if I could create folders so I could subdivide all the images I have uploaded so I can find the one I know I already uploaded.
  • DamienMaster
    DamienMaster
    Thanks for the input guys, I'm still gunning for a feature here, but Photobucket is a great idea!

I might have to start uploading... especially as I plan to update all the journal entires with character portraits; that'll drive me nuts as it is at the moment!