Visibility of Characters and Items?

The_Compass_Rose
The_Compass_Rose
edited November 2011 in General Archive
Is there any way to hide characters, and items as well, like you can your campaigns? I don't really mind having all my various PCs listed for public view, that's fine. The problem is clicking on my profile apparently shows every NPC I've made for every campaign I'm running. That's an awful lot of characters and generally messy as they're not even divided by campaign, just alphabetically. For example, my main campaign is about 30 villagers and all the family and people that each of them know. So if someone clicks on that for it's intended use, to see who I'm personally playing in games, they'll be lost in a horde of NPC villagers.

Plus, I really can't have some of those things public. Some I just don't want my players to see ahead of time; some are things I'm hoping to sell in the future, and others are IP I made while at Mattel that can't be publicly shown, and are only intended to be seen by previous co-workers. Personally I'd be fine with the other extreme and make them all private, if there was a way.

Is there a way to make characters (and items) private? Fingers crossed! At the very least, couldn't we have the option to only have characters you make appear on your profile if the "player character" box is selected? That would instantly solve my problem as I currently only have one game I'm a player in, and all the others would disappear from my profile. Again, I don't *think* there's any issue with the character tab in the individual campaigns, since they also have a "GM only" box, and campaigns can be private. It's only things visible through my personal profile that I'm talking about.

If there's no option for that, it would force me to use the Wiki section for everything and skip the characters entirely. That's doubly bad because I've been desperately trying to get my players to sign up for accounts here; they're already resistant by what they see as too complicated to deal with, but if they can't use the character section for characters the notion's just going to turn them off to the whole thing.

I read in another thread, someone mentioned that OP started out as a way to share campaigns with the world and privacy isn't the point. To be fair, noble as that is, that wasn't in any of the marketing material that got me to join. I just wanted to pay for a service that I could use privately to help run my games. That's really all I was looking for.

Comments

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Yea im not sure if there is a way to do that. You could submit it as a request of a feature
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Each wiki, character, and item page has a check box marked "GM-only." If you click that box, only you can see the contents of the page.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - swashbuckling adventure in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
    Featured Campaign of the Month - August 2011
  • The_Compass_Rose
    The_Compass_Rose
    Hi there, thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that would prevent my players from seeing it. I want them to see a lot of these entries, just not the outside world. Unfortunately, making a campaign private doesn't do the same with the characters and items in that campaign.
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you're after there.

Have you tried using the Player Secrets function in the Items and Characters pages? You can choose which players can see the information in its own secret window.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - swashbuckling adventure in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
    Featured Campaign of the Month - August 2011
  • Morrinn
    Morrinn
    You can do as Vulema said and just post your content in player secrets, but of course that would probably disorganize the wiki a lot. You could also (I think) just make all your players Co-DM's and put all the sensitive material on the DM Secrets sub-bar. Of course that means you'll have to hide your actual Dm notes elsewhere.
    As far as I know tho, there is no way of limiting visibility of a page to just the players... Might not be a bad feature request.

-M