Suggestions

HurstGM
HurstGM
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
So im writing my game book and im thinking about ideas on publishing. I was origionally thinking about doing it as an electronic downloadable PDF and print on demand if they wanted a hard copy, but as fellow gamers and game masters I would like some opinions. The system is modular and can change per the game needs. I was working a dead end job and had several game ideas. Problem was no one system covered all the things I wanted it to do. That and I was bored out of my mind and needed something to do. I started using some of the skills I gathered from my degree and applied a bunch of math and came up with a 100 based system and rules that covered what I want. I recently tried to use the system with others and found that lacking a game book for refrence the players got frustrated. not that i blame them for it. So i sat down during my month from heck and did the outline and started working on the first few chapters. Well im nearing completion of the book and will be working on the first few moduals. IM guessing im about a month or two away from publishing so i had better get started at least thinking about how im going to deal with it.

Comments

• Morrinn
    Morrinn
    The most important question I think is, do you want to make a buck off it or not?

Have a quick look through "this blog here":http://www.gamer-lifestyle.com/writing-publishing/rpg-publishing-for-fun-and-profit-getting-started/
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I have known many game designers and a few successful ones that have published. They all have expressed the same concerns but the successful ones have told me the following:
    *** It doesnt matter if you do hard copy or not unless you are going to make the rounds at game stores and conventions to market the game.
    *** If you are just publishing with the goal of getting your name out there, then go for PDF with a site that offers to print copies on demand.

I never buy PDF games and only buy hardcopy unless I know the publisher, author, etc and really really like their stuff. Most games I do buy that are new, come my way by means of conventions or I buy them do to word of mouth from people I know have the same standards and likes that I do.

Good Luck

-Steve
    "Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    I dont think im trying to make money at it. well enough to break even so a profit margin is not really in the cards right now. Thats why i thought the PDF would be good with the option to get one in hard copy if someone wanted it.
    Post edited by HurstGM on
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    This is potentially a huge topic of discussion. Bottom line is that the market for digital copies continues to grow while hardcopy shrinks. With all of the digital devices out there, we as gamers are on the cusp of a very difficult decision, as we all seem to like having that crisp book in our hands, thumbing through the pages, enjoying the illustrations, the smell of ink on paper.

So whether you are putting your system out for your own pleasure or actually wish to make money off of it, digital copies are the way to go and hope that you can find somewhere to do POD that boasts quality without breaking the bank. My suggestion would be to take some excerpts and make a solid free teaser, maybe couple it with a simple module that you'd be willing to part with as well. In my mind it's definitely the best way to gain interest in a new system.