Linking specific Facebook group with OP

JaymesBolton
JaymesBolton
edited October 2011 in General Archive
Hey everyone,

I know you can post on Facebook when you make/edit a page on OP. My question is if there is a way, either here on OP or some weird Facebook settings that I can link it to only a specific group so I do not spam all my other friends with my campaign updates. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, but I really wish there was a way to do so. The only solution I can think of is to create a 'fake' Facebook profile, place it in the group of your choice, and link that profile to OP. But who the hell wants to go through all that. I think this is a shortcoming with Facebook, not with OP. If they were to offer that option, Facebook changes their crap so often that OP would have to run around like loons trying to fix the syncing problems that would constantly arise.
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    Damn....well if anyone figures this out I am sure it would help a lot of us!
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Yes, I agree... great concept, but Fbook would screw it up, as I am sure google + will as they gain share... depressing.

Just trying to help out.

• vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Actually, yes there is! It's on the fb side of things.

After you've posted it, you can change the post to display only to the people you want to:

Hover over the post->
    Click the globe icon (meaning public)->
    Either create a group with your players in it and select it *_OR_* click "Custom" and type in the names of the people you want to see it.

"Heurdenvaar(vstraydogstrutv's current campaign)":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/heurdenvaar
    "Shared Creations(A repository of helpful RP information)":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shared-creations
    Post edited by vstraydogstrutv on
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Addendum: If you go to the account settings->apps and select OP, you will find a setting called "App Activity Privacy" which will allow you to set a specific groups/people to see the posts. Just found this.
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    Ok... this might be wonky. I haven't tested it but I was looking around at various settings. I was thinking that creating a new Facebook account would be a pain to set up but... I had a thought.

Couldn't you create a second twitter account just for Obsidian Portal updates. Link THAT Twitter account to your Facebook and OP account. Then in Account Settings -> Apps (in Facebook) for Twitter go to "App Activity Privacy" and set posts to only be viewed by the custom group that you specify.

Obviously you would lose the ability to cross tweet to Facebook for anything not O.P. related so if you cross-tweet already ... may not want to go this route and do one of the above options.

EDIT: Somehow didn't see vstray's post. LOL. Great minds think alike.
    Post edited by wolfhound on
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Haha when I got this update in my email I was like: "I just said that, but why and why the extra step?" Of course, it didn't show your full post, so I had to investigate. But yes, great minds indeed, squire! *toasts wine glasses and puffs pipe*
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    Yup vstray, my way added an unnecessary step. I played around with it today right after my lunch break.

(in Facebook as of the Facebook version that existed on 10/19/11 ... no guarantees after this date :) )

-> Account Settings -> Apps -> Obsidian Portal -> App Activity Privacy -> Modify it to whatever group you've set up -> Close

So far based on my couple of tests, it seems to work in the way Jaymes is requesting.
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Good on ya, wolf. I set mine up this morning but haven't tested it yet.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Well hot damn. This makes me happy with a capital hap!
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    Sweeetah!! (sorry my roommate was watching the movie earlier so it stuck in my head) Going to set it up after tonight's game and hopefully it will work. Thanks vstray and wolf...once again you save the day.
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Always happy to help, Jaymes.

I think this might be a good tidbit to put up on the "Shared Creations(A repository of helpful OP & RP information)":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shared-creations campaign.
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    Its not giving me the group as a possible option....i
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    Dunno, I'm able to. Be sure you click "See all lists..." if it doesn't show up in the initial view.