quick go to buttons in a page

Baalshamon
Baalshamon
edited September 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
I have created a page with an extensive list on it. I would like to be able to put the alphabet at the top of the page and make the letters hypelinked to the begining of said letters in the page.

Example: click the letter B and it takes you down the page to the begining of the words starting with the letter B.

Does anyone know the coding needed to do this?

Comments

• magavendon
    magavendon
    In front of the letter B put where "b" can be whatever you want to represent that section.

Then for the link at the top of the page to go to the B section type B section.
    Post edited by magavendon on
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    thanks alot, will give it a whirl
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Late to the show here, but yeah, that's how I've been creating links to specific portions of wiki pages. BTW, I was actually thinking about doing the same thing for my Glossary page, though at this point I doubt if I'll ever actually get around to it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    worked great, thanks for the help
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    If you'd like to see one of my pages where I've done this numerous times, here's the URL: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/progression-into-the-stars#/campaign/progression-into-the-stars/wikis/mage-guild
    Post edited by magavendon on
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    This is a very helpful piece of code, thanks magavendon! Good on ya for the question as well, Stephen.
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    Furthermore, now that you've got some sections named you can link to those particular sections from other pages by getting the URL from the top and adding #section_name at the end of the URL.

For example, http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/progression-into-the-stars#/campaign/progression-into-the-stars/wikis/mage-guild#rankings, will take you to a specific part of my Mage Guild page.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    sweet deal, will give that a try too.

This coding stuff is easy once someone shows you what to do. When I first started working with OP it kind of intimidated me but now I am feeling very confortable with the set up.

"Here is the Link":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/star-trek-late-night/wikis/slang for what I was working on, so you can see how it worked out.

Thanks again.
    Post edited by Baalshamon on
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    I like the page.

You might consider a button at the end of each letter section bringing someone back to the top, or at least at the end of long section.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    not a bad idea I will add them