Page Link confusion

BaneStar
BaneStar
edited September 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
I'm having some trouble with my wiki links, I've gone over it a few times and can't seem to find the problem,

I have links going to pages that are not directly in the treeflow (programming) i.e Elemental Magic links to fire, earth, air, water. When I made the page for fire I link over to water, after writing it, I clicked its /new to make the page for water, but back at the Elemental menu list, Water DOES NOT show up? I figured it needed time to refresh or something.. logged out, came back.. no luck..

All of my cross links are NOT referencing.

Any help with this?

(to have a look, its at 'the Coyn')

Comments

• BaneStar
    BaneStar
    Oh as an Example of the 'link break' look at http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-coyn/wikis/natureal-magic

I Link in its own text to its own page, spelt exactly the same, and it makes a NEW version of the page.. WHAT THE? Now when I edit the text I cannot get it to go back to itself, but it always goes to the new page??
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Correct... it thinks you are creating a second page of the same name.
    Use this
    "natureal-magic"
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    You could also use textile links such as * [[Natureal Magic]] * this would link back to the page you created in the wiki
  • BaneStar
    BaneStar
    ok, So I'm not sure what your trying to do killervp, seems like you want me to link to your campaign?

Hurst, I'll give that a go.. My Natureal Magic was a false attempt at trying to re-create the problem that I'm having from my Index page (after I force fixed it)

I expect that writing [[link A]] in document 1, and [[link A]] in document 2, will BOTH link to 'link A' But its not.. document 1 link A is somehow different from document 2 link A... WHY is it happening? and how do I stop it ?? or avoid it?? or do I honestly have to write HTML every time?? in which case.. Why am I at Obsidian in the first place?

I think the point is, If I wanted to write HTML everytime I have to link, when why host my campaign here, and why not just upload a Wiki engine to my own site. $10 a year for a 100Gig Website is pretty standard these days, Upload a CMS engine, set up permissions, get my players to create accounts, even a facebook link in would be built into a standard CMS these days, ..

Why Obsidian if not for the clean and simple system they created.. why create a new engine to do what another site does well..

except if it doesn't do it well.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    This shouldn't be complicated at all (OP is very simple.. simple to the point that there are numerous threads requesting more complicated html features). If you wish to link to a page from that same page you can either use [[pagename]] or "text goes here":url for the page name

examples:

[[Natureal-Magic]]
    or
    "Natureal Magic":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-coyn/wikis/natureal-magic

Either will work, I have just come from testing this (just to be sure not like I haven't done this before countless time son OP) and I thin kyour problem might be that for some reason (I haven't seen your code so I dont know what your doing) is that when I scroll over that link it shows http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-coyn/wikis/natureal-magic-0 NOT http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-coyn/wikis/natureal-magic. Notice the difference?

If you use either of the link sI provided above it WILL work. That I guarantee you, since I don't know what code you are putting in I can't say for certain why you are experiencing these difficulties to begin with.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

DarkMagus
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Also so that you can see that it work from the forums, I will use the permanent link I used above to link to your page (the relative link, the one in brackets, wont work because the following code isn't being inputted on your wiki, but if you put the bracket code on your wiki it will work I guarantee, ANY problems ANY at all send me a message and I will get back to you tomorrow.)

"Natureal Magic":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-coyn/wikis/natureal-magic
  • BaneStar
    BaneStar
    Yep, I see the link as natureal-magic-0 in the text its written as [[Natureal Magic]] on other pages I write it as [[Natureal Magic]] which is the correct link, it wants to link to a NEW page..

Ok, rather than trying to create a simpler example to explain my problem, lemme link you directly to the problem.

Also to avoid any confusion, I have not used ANY link codes or html or anything other than the standard [[ and ]] as per instructions..

Heres the first Page:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-coyn/wikis/spheres-of-magic

Notice the list, EACH of these are pages.. some of them are place holders for now,.

but Only Natureal comes up.. why? because it was created AFTER this page, as a click FROM this page.

Now click on Natureal, it links itself, the parent group and due to the nature.. earth elements.. Click on Earth Elements...

Notice the link to Elemental Magic? Now why is it that Elemental magic back on 'spheres of magic' is not a link, but here it is??

The Same for Protection Magic? no link in Spheres, link here.. why? because Protection and Elements was written from a link click here, but not directly from the spheres page? maybe

Worse yet.. if you click on the link Elemental Magic, I've sub-divided the magics according to political groups, I wrote a few pages for each of these magics as links from many of them around from other links in other pages.. but only after writing.. 10 of them, did I bother to write this 'list' NONE of them are being linked? WTF?

As I write this.. I get the impression that I'm supposed to write the pages in heirachichal order.. to avoid this problem.. I'll go write some 'test pages' in the right and wrong order to find out WHY and try to understand it better to explain it better.
  • BaneStar
    BaneStar
    Ok, I've been playing around with the Links. (my tests are here: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-coyn/wikis/link-5 )

Seems the Problem is Capital Letters, Pre-generated Pages and Post Generated Pages..

When I create a link [[ Link ]] Its somehow storing some king of coded 'name' somewhere that I don't have the ability to edit.

If I write [[CAPITALS 1]] and [[capitals 1]] on the same page.. they BOTH change their link name to CAPITALS 1 and to /capitals-1

Later on another page, if I write a [[Capitals 1]] link, It does NOT refer to CAPITALS or capitals.. but instead creates a new /capitals-1-0 page.

Later on ANOTHER page if I wrote [[capitals 1]] It instead creates the page as /capitals-1-1

Now lets say I go back to [[CAPITALS 1]] and re-write it to [[Capitals 1]] It'll link still to /capitals-1 but on a new page, if I write [[Capitals 1]] It'll create a new page /capitals-1-2 OR if my cache is still full of older pages will link to /capitals-1-0

The problem I'm still having is that on some pages when I wrote [[Natureal Magic]] it'll now direct it to the /natureal-magic page. BUT on any new links to [[Natureal Magic]] It NOW links them to /natureal-magic-0 ARGH!

as to what or where my old links go.. I'm still not 100% sure I get what I should do.. delete whole pages? wait a day to clear, then re-type them?

Pre-organise all my links before I start writing? (pain in the ass)
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I experimented for an hour this morning creating [[link A]] on wiki page one and [[link A]] on a different wiki page. I then went to page one, clicked the red hyperlink for link A and created the page. I refreshed. Every link A I created now gows to that link. No problems.

Now when I redid this by making the pages with [[link a]] and then later clicked the Create a page button. I got the same problem you are having. Try to create the page by clicking the hyperlink you created in the document. Then everything works. Very simple.

"Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Actually, all 3 options work- mine, darks, and stephen's...
    I also experimented with all 3. Sorry about the confusion, but hopefully this helps you.

killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt

Just trying to help out.

• DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Man this IS confusing!!! 0.o

May I suggest that in the interest of trying to reduce the chaos of linkage that you keep a standard formatting system all caps or all lower or whatever, for pages that haven't been generated. Then AFTER a page has been generated use the menu that OP gives you. It is the little icon that looks like a folder with a page coming out to the left of the icon that looks like a roll of film, found at the top of the box where you are putting in all the code for your wiki. All of the wiki pages, and at the very bottom the adventure logs, can be found here and the proper code will be inserted for you automatically by clicking the page name.

I don't know, that's all I can think of for a less mind boggling/stressful way, though I imagine it takes a little more time.

Glad at least we know what the problem was so it can kind of be avoided.

Best of luck to you BaneStar and happy gaming!

DarkMagus
  • BaneStar
    BaneStar
    THANKS everyone, due to your ongoing help, I understand better what the problem is and how to avoid it.
    -------------------
    ( HAHA, Funnily enough, when I went to delete all my 'link test pages' It had some trouble identifying some of them to delete: Error 404 etc. )
    -------------------
    Last notes:
    When I first wrote the pages I wrote them all with the word Magic with a capital letter, Later maybe a few days or so, I forgot and wrote new pages with a small m, When I first discovered this, I went back and changed them ALL in all links to a small M, but none of the links changed. Which created the whole problem.

I tried out the little icon, sure its cool for existing links, but not for non existing links.. which is the problem here I guess.

Now if we can ONLY get that SAVE button up at the top of the screen..... ;)
    Post edited by BaneStar on