Linking DM and Player Wiki pages

wyrmul
wyrmul
edited January 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• wyrmul
    wyrmul
    As a DM I often will create a page with the same name in the DM wiki as the Player Wiki with notes on the topic for just the DM to see. Like location information that they players don't know, things like that. Would it be possible to add two buttons next to the wiki page title, past the edit and delete buttons that are only visible to the DM. One would be title Players View and when clicked would load the wiki page of the same name from the players wiki. The second would be DM View, and when clicked it would load the wiki page of the same name from the DM wiki. That way if I want to create a page in the DM Wiki with notes on an entry in the players wiki all I would have to do is click the button and generate the page. And vice versa, as the players progress in the plot I can click the players view and generate the page from notes in the DM wiki.
  • Micah
    Micah
    You've caught me a little ahead of schedule here. I have been agonizing over the DM and Player wikis for a while now, as I would like to combine them. Currently, the player wiki is combined with the adventure log, but the DM wiki is separate. Looking back now, I think that was a mistake. Instead, each wiki page should have an option to be "DM-only" These pages would be part of the rest of the wiki (and could link-out and be linked to), but only the DM would be able to view the contents. That way, the DM could easily link to other applicable pages or adventure log posts. In addition, if the players discovered something that the DM had already added, it could just be switched to non-GM-only.

I know this isn't exactly (or maybe even close) to what you're describing here, but it should make things a little easier.

Perhaps, (and as always, no promises), it would be possible to have a GM-only section, like with NPCs.

Anyways, this is probably a ways off. Making the transition would be a fairly large undertaking, and I would want to be absolute sure it was working just so I don't lose anyone's hard work on their wiki.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  • wyrmul
    wyrmul
    I really like the idea of having two separate pages, one for players and one for DMs. That allows me to have a information for one topic segregated into DM and Player information. If I am detailing a nightclub I want the players to have access to the descriptions of the parts they have seen and some of the NPCs they know that frequent it. I also want a page that details all the NPCs that frequent it, their relationships, the secrets of the night club, and any other DM privileged information. I like that I can have the entry in the DM wiki and the Players wiki have the same name, that way it is easier to reference later. Combining the two into the same wiki would require me to create a taxonomy that will make my DM pages distinct in name from the Player pages.

The only way I can see combining them into the same wiki is being able to mark up text on a page as DM only. In this case it will only render the marked up text when the page is being viewed by a DM. While this would be nice (and probably a bit complex to code) it is not strictly necessary.

In conclusion. I like the current setup. I like that I can have two identically named pages, one for DMs, and one for players. I just would like, as a DM the ability to quickly switch between the two.

And I realize that I really don't qualify as anyone else. :)
    So I hope others will comment as well.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Wyrmul, one of the things Micah suggested was having a "GM Only" section for each wiki page, which would pretty much be exactly what you're talking about when you say "mark up text on a page as DM only".

He was able to do it with characters, and while everything else I've been reading up until now points up the difference between characters and adventure wiki pages, I'd like to think that means he doesn't think it entirely impossible for adventure wiki pages.

And for the record, I like the "DM only section" option best. If for no other reason than it will maintain some interface continuity - the adventure pages would work just like the character pages (and I forget if items also have the super-secret section yet or not, but that could also be a possibility - handy for cursed items whose dark secret hasn't yet been discovered!).
  • redstar
    redstar
    I full support the idea of make a "DM only section" or have the page be able to flip from "DM only" to "Everyone". One of the reason for this is 1) being able to easily link things 2) player could then edit the page as they saw fit, while the DM could still have a "master" entry of all the true secrets, etc.
  • Micah
    Micah
    Yeah, I really want to go with a single wiki, where each page has a GM only section, and entire pages can be made GM only. We've just been really busy with other stuff, plus I'm scared of trying to merge everyone's GM and Party wikis.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. plus I’m scared of trying to merge everyone’s GM and Party wikis.

Just out of curiosity, why are you scared?
  • Jason
    Jason
    I can guess: just imagine what would follow, with some of the GM-only wikis that might accidentally become public in the process...?
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. I can guess: just imagine what would follow, with some of the GM-only wikis that might accidentally become public in the process…?

I figured as much, but since I know nothing of the matter beyond what I am told, I wasn't sure.
  • mcoorlim
    I think that the ability to insert lines of DM-only text among the public text offers the most utility. Something like:

"...sitting on top of the counter is a box that the party still hasn't found a key for [private: containing $2.50 in change.]

The third bandit manage to escape [private: and will return next session with reinforcemetns.]"
  • DMaple
    DMaple
    Also with one wiki if you could toggle a page from GM only to everyone or visa versa, it would help with preparing entries ahead of the players seeing them. Then switch them from GM to Everyone.