Being technologically advanced

AnthonyDluzak
AnthonyDluzak
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
Greetings,

So as I browse through the postings in the forums here, I keep running across ways that GM's and players are using technology to better their games. Using software to create maps, sending them to players. Ive read about using software where the players are shown on the map, and the GM places the monsters on there. I assume everyone in the group is using a laptop to do this. Ive read about people using maps and an overhead projector, beaming the map onto the table from above and then placing the real figures down onto the image.

I was just wondering --- what are your favourite techniques and methods to increase the enjoyment and efficiency of your games?

I for one, have terrible math skills. I was thinking about making a sliding scale thing to calculate THAC0's. Yes, I use the dreaded THAC0 systems from 2nd edition D&D, LOL! That way, I do not have to use my head fingers and toes each roll I make to see if a creature hits a player!

-Anthony

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    You know, the Portal aside, I'm still sort of living in the dark ages when it comes to the use of technology at our gaming table. However, if you are looking to speed up combat through bypassing some of the tedious calculations involved, I've heard that "HeroForge":http://www.heroforgesoftware.com/ is what you want. Course, I believe they only currently have software available for 3.5e and 4e. Course you might be able to come up with your own Excel spreadsheet for AD&D 2e that works well for this purpose.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Arsheesh may like you to believe he is living "in the dark ages" when it comes to technology. But do not be fooled. Have you seen his maps in Age of Legends or Tales of Darkmoon Vale? He has been particularly helpful to someone like me with all things OP and techno, so I say he is a Sage of Light in Dark Age Robes!!!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• BrokenClock
    BrokenClock
    Technology is a God that all DMs should embrace.

All of my adventures are read at the table from my laptop as pdfs, designed in photoshop and written in Word. I create hyperlinks to various encounters, npcs, monsters etc. so that it makes things easier. To calculate combat, a run something called Familiar, which is essentially a 4th edition combat encounter assistant that does all the math for me. On the table I use custom made counters which I designed in illustrator and printed at Staples. They fight on boards which I drew by hand and touched up in photoshop. To store these counters (thousands and thousands of them) I keep them in a nail/screw storage case and assign numbers to the various monsters, which I database using even more software. I create these sort of audio hyperlinks which cue music on my speakers, attached to my receiver, which is connected to my laptop. This music sets the mood for combat encounters or other events of thematic importance. Additionally, I create dreams for my players using photoshop and windows movie maker. Finally, my players and I use this site to record our adventures and catch-up on missed encounters.

- Clock
    "Govaga":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/govaga
    Post edited by BrokenClock on
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    BrokenClock, you sound like the most organized and dedicated DM I've ever heard of. Bravo!

We're relatively low-tech at our table (although i suppose I am now also running a campaign that exists entirely on the Portal, so there's that). I do have a laptop out, to keep placenames, maps, and other effluvia of my free time handy, but otherwise it's all books, dice, markers on a draw-erase grid, legos (yes, Legos!), and making it up as I go. I guess we also use a lot of computer print-outs, and a large dry-erase board on the wall, so maybe we're in the mid-90s?
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    My tabletop game is like Jon's. Our GM has a laptop (I can only assume he has it open for stats, etc...maybe a couple PDF books that he hasn't purchased in physical form) but mostly we do our stuff on a big gridded whiteboard and paper character sheets and notebooks.

Occasionally a player (like myself as a good example) around the table will pull out their own laptop for a reference or something (maybe an image to show people to clarify something) but we don't really have a lot of room for everyone to have their laptops out the whole game...plus it takes away from the togetherness that gaming provides with your friends if you're all just staring at computer screens the whole time, I think.
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    My suggestion -- bust out that HDMI cable and plug your laptop into the bigscreen TV that everyone has nowadays. I use that during setup time, and just have a slideshow of some selected images going as the players mess with their characters, talk shop, etc pre game-- and then for rules or scenario details I just pop the image onto the screen and everyone can see it without having to make a bunch of printed handouts.

During a call of cthulu session I ran a couple months back I had some cool images from the 1920s-- fashions, vehicles, police equipment (did you know cops used to use garrotes instead of handcuffs back then? yep, kind of crazy but definitely adds flair), and also some images of the locale where the adventure was going to take place -- shots of downtown chicago, the chicago river, etc.
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    Oh, and the one shot I ran recently was airship vs spaceship trying to chase down an illusionist orc wyvern rider who was trying to destroy the planet. The players chose airship, so I just popped onto the screen a really cool image of the airship on the TV big screen as they played, kind of created a nice atmosphere.
    Post edited by igornappovich on
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    We use tech for word processing power to write up detailed lists of npcs, adventure notes, and such. Printing images for games is always great too. OP is new to our campaign and though I like it alot, it still needs to develop quite a bit to be perfect for my gaming. We have tried using laptops, smartphones, and other gadgets over the years but I have found that simplicity is best. It makes for a flowing game that doesnt get bogged down by reading a pdf or following a set form when GMing. Our group of players have been together since the mid eighties and they never follow canned adventures in the path directed in the published module. As such the GM's of our group are forced to rely on imagination, quick thinking, and allowing the players to take the paths they desire. I guess what I am saying is that I agree with the concepts of Dune. The human brain is the greatest computer possible, you only have to use it.

"Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    While I am in my 40's, technology is how we game now. My game is held entirely on Skype, and OP has been the godsend to allow it. We literally are across North America: one member in New Jersey, one in Florida, one in Vancouver, one in Utah, one travels for a living, the 6th is in Central California, and I am in Los Angeles.
    However, the game itself is done the old fashioned way. I use pen & paper to track xp and damage, and the players & I talk like we are across the table, not 100's or 1000's of miles away.
    So technology is essential to keep us connected, but table top gaming to me is still about dice and people, mostly people.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt

Just trying to help out.

• sboss
    sboss
    Depending on the game system, I use my laptop a lot. GMing shadowrun, I have PDF books open, name generators, google maps, various generators for the game (commlink configuration, etc), notes in word/PDF, macvim to take random notes, etc... The players are all on paper. We don't care if they write it by hand or do it on the computer and print it out...

Other games I am a little less computer and more paper.

I tend to do a lot on the computer between sessions for all games. I work behind a laptop screen so it is easy/natural for me to do so.
  • sboss
    sboss
    I would love to hear about people playing games over the net. Using skype or other video chat. How to share maps in realtime, notes, etc..
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I would as well. we could certainly make use of such tools when players are out of town.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Well, what would you like to know about playing over skype...
    It is how we play every 2 weeks- my game stretches from Florida to Vancouver, from NJ to California, with some Utah & Midwest included.
    Send me a PM if you want to know the ins & outs, otherwise just check out my campaign.
    killervp

Just trying to help out.

• AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Very cool stuff guys!! Giving me some good ideas.

What I do... Is use my ipod to create playlists for the game. For random battles, I have another playlist. For certain NPCs I have certain songs for a theme. I also use my computer to record my own original music to create tracks. For those, I make them so that they loop without a pause so the song can play for however long I want. Of course, those songs are 8-12 minutes long to avoid repeatition.
  • Brandonsweet
    Brandonsweet
    I use my laptop to record game sessions using garage band, and to keep a few rulebook PDFs open, but otherwise it's three-ring binders, lined paper and a battlemat. My big paradigm shift was about 15 years ago when I started using Word to write my adventures (before that they were hand- or typewritten!).
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    garage band... really?
    Never used... not an insult, just want to know more.
    killervp

Just trying to help out.

• Brandonsweet
    Brandonsweet
    Heh, no offense taken. I just record the game session as a "podcast" project and the MacBook Pro's mic picks up a table's worth of players with no problem.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Nice, never would have thought of that!

Just trying to help out.

• Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I like the Garage band idea, might give it a try.
  • Morrinn
    Morrinn
    I recently began a new 4E adventure for my group, and besides using OP, I also decided to try and shake things up a bit by using some hardware at the gaming table.

First of all I bring my laptop to the table. This is nothing new, Most of the players bring theirs too, and not having to print out or write down sheets, notes and adventure details is a great time saver.
    But now I also began using my laptop to run encounters and keep track of stats and such. For this I use the *excellent* software "Masterplan":http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan
    This thing is absolutely awesome in every way. It comes with an extremely handy "Player View" window that I project onto an LCD monitor I bring with me, where I display combat encounters, handouts, long texts such as riddles or poems, overview maps and anything else I can think of.

Now bringing a laptop, and an LCD screen may sound like an overkill, but I've found it really saves me time, and it's no more or less of a hassle than having to bring miniatures and tiles, and spend the time between encounters setting them up. It frees time, and doesn't sacrifice a whole lot of immersion either when you can use gorgeous artwork for handouts, nice digital battlemaps and custom tokens for the PC's and monsters.

The next thing I would like to try out, and have already started working on, is trying to introduce auditory stimulus to the game.
    Many of you have probably experimented with game music and all kinds of manners to bringing it to the table.
    Putting up a CD in a boombox of course needs constant attention for the DM due to changing tracks and such. MP3 players, Ipods and such are much better, capacity and tuning wise, but still require some attention if you want more control over the environment. And then there's the fatigue factor of having to contantly come in with new tunes or run the risk of the players becoming bored with the same songs over and over again.
    In my opinion, these methods require far to much attention from the DM, especially during a session, which is a much more valuable time than during preparations.

So recently I've become very tickled by the idea of using ambient sounds rather than straight up music to set the tone during sessions.
    The idea is to have some sort of a soundboard that you can customize before hand, to play ambient sounds, fitting the current scene, with light background noises. A very good (but by no means perfect) program I found is this thing called "Syrinscape":http://www.syrinscape.com which, best of all, is totally free and comes with a wide selection of sound sets you can pick.
    It also makes it very easy for you, with a little elbow grease, to customize, letting you import and manage your own ambient sounds at leisure.
    It features two audio tracks for ambient sounds, and four tracks that will play random sounds from a customizeable selection at intervals and volume of your choosing. Lastly it allows you create a loadout of ten sound effects for immediate use.

Running this on a laptop should be rather easy, provided you can be bothered with it and have a good enough sound-system. I've yet to take it to the field, but I've been having a lot of fun fiddling with it and trying out the settings.
    Post edited by Morrinn on
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Not sure how often all of you guys are on facebook/twitter but we just put up the video from the Obsidian Portal gencon panel "How Technology is Changing RPGs":http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F27481884&h=_AQAheKNhAQBquqx4QX9eE4UcvGMiVRHOSKO81szNI9h1pQ have a look. It was a great seminar, lots of good talk and great ideas.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks DG... brings up a point. I know I have moved to Google +, and rarely hit facebook any longer. Anyway OP can get on Google plus?
    killervp
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Well I have applied for their business page beta (similar to fb fan pages) still waiting on a reply. Eventually though, yes. So long as google doesn't scrap the whole idea
  • KenSee
    KenSee
    I know I tried using music and such to integrate into my campaign last semester at school but it kinda failed from me not being able to get the right feel for the situation and the music that was required to set the mood.

This semester I am gonna be using a more tech heavy approach as I will try and have quest details and such posted on OP at all times and try to get my players to get more involved here. I hope that OP will become our away from the table home for the campaign.

When we are at the table I expect things to be pretty low tech still save for the occasional laptop or two.