Greetings

AnthonyDluzak
AnthonyDluzak
edited June 2011 in Player Lounge
Hello,

I wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Anthony, I am 37 years old and have been playing tabletop RPGs since about 1989. I started off with the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons "red box" and have been hooked ever since. I also enjoy writing, playing video games, working on film projects, drawing, playing guitar and cooking.

I am currently playing 2nd edition D&D with my group of just over one year now after an eight year hiatus and am having a blast.

I love using Obsidian Portal and it is helping to make my game much more rich and full of detail. Its fantastic that I can organize my game as well as document our adventures. If you find time, I would love for you to check out our site: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/legends-of-the-middle-ages

If you have any suggestions or comments (good or bad!) please let me know. I look forward to talking with you all and becoming an active member in the forums here on OP!

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hey there Anthony, welcome to the Portal! I just stopped by and checked out your site. I like how well fleshed out your wiki section is. I also like how you've used a some nice looking image banners as buttons to link to the major sections of your wiki. The site also has a fair amount of images, which is definitely a plus. Also, I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your group's one year anniversary; it really helped to add a personal touch to the site. About the only thing I would suggest is to finish the Introduction page. The causal browser (such as myself) is probably not going to spend hours of time browsing your site to try to figure out what the campaign is about. Having an easily accessible campaign synopsis helps to let the reader quickly know what your campaign is about. A well written introduction can also draw readers in, captivating their interest and convincing them to dig deeper into your campaign site. Anyway you probably didn't need me to tell you that since it seems you've already begun work on an introduction page. Great job so far man. Hope to see more of you around the forums too.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Thank you so much, Arsheesh for responding as well as checking out our site and giving helpful advice and tips!!

What a great introduction to the forums here! :)

Thank you for commenting on the wiki and the image banner buttons I created. I really enjoy using Photoshop to create those, they were really fun. The one year photo album is really cool too, good place for memories! I also want to put up a video of us playing.

Definately need to finish that introduction page. As soon as I am done updating the latest session, I will focus on that. I want to put up an intro video as well, but that will take some time to create - so I better work on everything else first. Its tough, coming up with a script, drawing out the images, animations and music. I have some basic ideas but it all takes time.

I really enjoy this site, and will soon be participating in the forums on an active basis.

Good to meet you!

-Anthony
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Glad to here you are enjoying the Portal so far. Don't let yourself get too bogged down in the details of what needs to get done. One of the biggest pitfalls of taking on a project such as building a campaign site (especially one for a homebrew setting) is becoming paralyzed by the sheer amount of work there is to be done. I know I myself, and others here, have had the experience of logging on to do a bit of updating, and then just staring at the screen, overwhelmed by the sense that there is so much left undone, and we don't even know where to begin. Baby steps, that where. It's good that you have prioritized your updates. Concentrate on one thing at a time, and little by little, it will all get done. See you around the Portal.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Words of wisdom, my friend... Words of wisdom. :)
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    I know we've already met through OP, but I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say I'm glad to see you here in the forums they're a fun and useful place to be.
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Thank you very much, Dark!! Hey, I sent you an email about a week ago with another one of my songs... Did you get a chance to listen to it yet?
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Thanks for reminding me! I downloaded it with the intent of checking it out later that night, but there's been a lot going on here and I've spent significantly less time in front of the computer as of late. (I really feel like I can't remember anything lately unless I've written it down.. :( ) I'm going to go check it out now and I'll e-mail you back.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi Anthony. I read many books on the period your game is set in so was very interested to have a look. I hope all those Elves, Hobbits and Goblins had the good sense to keep away from Bannockburn, but it seems they are causing mischief anyway. The layout and artwork are all very cool. You may have some more work to do on the Home Page but I found it quite informative and I "got it" right away.

I like the fact that in your Game Intro page, you let your players know that they can get experience points for bringing food and drink, pictures and props and I hope your players take you up on the offer. Games are always so much better when everyone is fully immersed in all facets.

The picture of the norman keep type church in Barlo reminded me of many English villages (I lived in Derbyshire for 18 months in a village called Scarcliffe that had just such a place). I hope you all have a great times routing out those goblins and trolls that were somehow absent from the history books I read. All in all, a great and inventive premise for such a troubled but interesting time in British history.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Just added you to my favorites. To add to the comments above, I got much the same advice from those above, and took it to heart. You should take different sections and tackle each one at a time. For instance, I took world geography (in my campaign, regions) fleshed it out, then moved to items, etc.
    Good luck!!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt

Just trying to help out.

• Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    Welcome to the portal. I too am relatively new to using this site [though not to gaming] and am coming to love these of it all. Good luck with your campaign.
    Post edited by Baalshamon on
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Thank you all for your warm welcomes and good advice!

Twiggyleaf: Thank you very, very much for giving me a tidbit of advice and inspiration. I had to google Bannockburn and am now reading about the fascinating battle on wikipedia. The wiki there on the battle is very thorough and giving me plenty of ideas for the historical political struggles. If you happen to come across any cool historical things to photograph during your journeys, I would love to see them and possibly use them for my campaign! Also, thank you for digging into my page and checking things out!
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Welcome to the Portal.

_Legends_ . . . looks great - as a big fan of historical roleplaying games, I strongly approve.

Remember, the wiki creation process is like eating an elephant - lots and lots of small bites. We are also our own worst critics - I look at my wiki and all I see are the holes yet to be filled.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - swashbuckling adventure in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Thank you very much, Mike!

I am glad you enjoyed it, and will head over and check yours out!!

-Anthony