Chill Creature Template help

Elpis
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
I am working on a snowy "wonder land" campaign in the 3.5 system and would like some input abut a LA +1 Template I have made if it seems balanced and what not. Thanks in advanced for all your help.

(need help with what it should or shouldn't be applied too)
Size/Type: the creature gains the cold subtype
Seed: - 10 feet f base land seed
Stats: +4 con, -2 dex
Attack: Unarmed or natural attacks by the creature deal an additional 1d6-4 cold damage, plus 1 cold damage/2 levels(hit dice)
SQ: Resistance to cold 5, Fridged wind 3/day, Ice walk 1/day
Skills: +5 survival in snowy areas
Cr: +1
LA: +1

-Fridged wind: this ability does 1d4 cold damage + 1d4 nonlethal damage in a 15 foot cone, Medium or smaller creatures must make a fort save or be knocked prone. The save also negates the nonlethal damage. DC= 11+ cha mod
- Ice Walk: the creature can move across Ice and snow with no movement penalty or the need for balance checks for 1 hour.

Thank you all again for your help.

Comments

• gnunn
    gnunn
    I don't think it looks too overpowered for a LA1 template, though I must admit, I haven't tried to design my own template.

Couple thoughts though... I might go +2 con -2 dex because con bonuses really stack up the hp over time.

Why is the frigid wind ability cha based? My initial thought was that it should be con based but I was assuming that it is a physical force the creature expels from its body.

I would also tweak the 1d6-4 cold damage. -# modifiers are always a bit weird to me. I would just say that when the creature reaches a certain number of HD it gains 1d6 cold damage and then add a modifier every two levels... or perhaps an additional HD every few levels... or treat the damage progression like a monk's unarmed damage bonus.
  • Elpis
    OK here is how I have changed it

undead, constructs and incorporeal creatures may not gain this template
    Size/Type: the creature gains the cold subtype
    Speed: - 10 feet of base speed
    Stats: +2 con, -2 dex
    Attack: Unarmed or natural attacks by the creature deal additional cold damage depending on Hit Dice, 1-3HD = 1d3, 4-7HD = 1d4, 8-11HD = 1d6, 12-15HD = 1d8, 16-19HD = 1d10, 20HD = 2d6. (as tiny monk)
    SQ: Resistance to cold 5, Frigid wind 3/day, Ice walk 1/day
    Skills: +5 survival in snowy areas
    Cr: +1
    LA: +1

- Frigid wind: this ability does 1d4 cold damage + 1d4 nonlethal damage in a 15 foot cone, Medium or smaller creatures must make a fort save or be knocked prone. The save also negates the nonlethal damage. DC= 11+ con mod
    - Ice Walk: the creature can move across Ice and snow with no movement penalty or the need for balance checks for 1 hour.
    Post edited by Elpis on
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Looks pretty good to me, though I might add a "susceptible to fire-based attacks" provision in there somewhere, as fireballs, flaming weapons, etc are surely more potent against foes of this type. Possibly a "save vs taking extra damage"-type scenario. Other than that it looks good.
  • Elpis
    how does this sound?

susceptible to fire-based attacks: when hit with fire damage the creature must make a fort save dc 15 or take 1.5 times the damage.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Agreed