I'm stuck with 2 campaigns in my saga?

Celestino
Celestino
edited February 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
Hi,

I am currently running a series of campaigns, which ultimately end up becoming part of a very epic saga. The first one has been completed and my second one is currently in session. After the second tale is over I'd like to make a new campaign but as I started to "pre-create" it, OP says I can't since I am currently running the free version and in order to have more than two I'd have to pay...

So in other words, am I stuck with my two campaigns or do I have to create multiple accounts now, which'll ruin the aestheticness of my soon-to-be trilogy? I couldn't even make a "campaign" regarding _only_ the timeline of all our campaigns at the moment...

I am very disappointed in this...

...pro tips, anyone?

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Look, I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound this way but your message really smacks of ingratitude. After all, you _are_ currently reaping the benefit of this site free of charge. Of course there is a statute of limitations on just how many campaigns you can run using a free account. So if you'd like to run more campaigns here, rather than complaining about it, or worse, creating another free account (which, while no one is going to stop you, is just a jerk thing to do), you ought to consider supporting the Portal. If like myself you've found that the tools here at the OP have really been a help to you in running your campaign(s), then I would encourage you to consider upgrading to an Ascendant Membership. Among other perks, this would allow you to create as many campaigns as you like and moreover It helps to support Micah, Ryan and the other admins here and allows them more resources to better enhance the site.
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Agreed. Even though I currently am not an Ascendant member, I do encourage people to purchase the feature (and will be purchasing the membership as soon as possible), and would never complain about a lack of features in a free membership. I got our GM to purchase an Ascendant membership, for example, and then those of us involved in his campaign pitch in whenever we can to help cover his cost...if the massive cost (what, 40 bucks a year or something) seems unreasonable to you, you could consider this option...but I agree that creating another free account is a pretty jerk-move...especially when doing that means that you like the site enough to use it for multiple campaigns, but not enough to pay for it.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Celestino,

If you like how easy it is to set up your campaign using Obsidian Portal and the convenience of being linked up with other games (the social media aspect of the site) and enjoy other perks then you might want to consider the costs that those who own and operate this website face and the fact that they don't just host this site but are constantly upgrading (I've been here for over 15 months and you wouldn't believe the stream of features they turn out) as well as working to troubleshoot problems and answer questions. This is no simple task for a small group of people. I see that your membership started in September of 2010 and you have already used 2 campaigns. I say that you were a heavy user. Considering all of this you might want to throw a few bucks at the site, which would solve your problem and help support the sight that you clearly make good use of.

Otherwise, you could always use a free web hosting service and learn some basic HTML and create your own web page hosting all of the stories in your epic saga. Just search for free web page hosting on the web and I'm sure you'll find dozens (or more) sites. I used to have web space on geocities and aol back in the day. I am not sure what companies offer such services now however.

You have a few options in front of you, some free others at a small price. I think all of which are quite reasonable.

Happy Gaming.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Migrate all your campaign data into a single wiki and call it your Campaign Setting, rather than host your campaigns in individual wikis.

That is what I did with Wyrmshadow, though not to save money. I have been an ascendant for over two years, and have never regretted it.

Also, instead of expressing disappointment in what you can't do for free, ask yourself why you should feel entitled to more, and what incentive Obsidian Portal has to give you something for nothing.

Edit: I just checked out your campaign pages, and I see no reason why you need to have a separate wiki for every campaign. Rename Aavikkosoturit into "The Aavikkosoturit Saga", and migrate all the data from part II into that one wiki. That saves you from *having* to upgrade, if you don't want to, and still allows you to host all your campaign data on OP. Having said that, if you want to avoid all that work, just become an Ascendant.
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Another vote for a single archival campaign.

Go check out "Encyclopedia Yggdraversica" for inspiration. When "The Vale" campaign ended (it was on my freebie account because I was the one doing all the updating, even though Florimel GM'd), I just made up a bunch of wiki pages and copied everything from the campaign into the Encyclopedia. I even got all our adventure logs, though you can definitely tell when I started running out of energy for chronicling. =P

(Florimel's an Ascendant as well, but since all of his campaigns sprout from other campaigns, having the Encyclopedia makes it easier for him to keep all his ideas in one place. Me, I'd finally gotten an idea for a second campaign and wanted the space on my account just in case. ;)
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I recommend Ascendancy.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member