Under what circumstances do you roll these dice?

Poutine_Paladin
Poutine_Paladin
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
Hey all,

I quickly whipped up these dice quite a while ago just to give myself a geek-fix during a slump (for a few minutes, anyway) so I thought maybe it would be a fun discussion to see what everyone thinks of them (good/not so good/suggestions) and maybe get a discussion going on interesting items people have created and when they were maybe used to produce...lets say unwanted...effects?

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/16429/items/dice-of-best-of-luck

not good at linking stuff, obviously. so I sometimes don't even bother trying

Comments

• gnunn
    gnunn
    I dig the dice and love creating in-game elements/magic items that could help &/or hinder the players depending on chance. However, I usually just use regular dice to represent those chances.

As to stuff I've created... I built a corrupted treant out of Legos for my players to fight. It made the encounter far more memorable than any store-bought mini-fig would have.

Then I built a custom carrying case for a set of death pogs I created for one of my players who is now running his own game. Death pogs are basically tokens made from washers with cardstock glued to either side. One side says dying, and the other dead. We use them to mark fallen enemies and my players are ridiculously proud/fond of them because they provide a visual record of the carnage they cause. Anyway, to make the carrying case, I took an old prescription pill bottle, removed the labels and created a new one (black background with red blood drips running out from under the cap and "Death Pogs" written in an appropriate font.) I then put an enlarged "dying" image on the cap and "dead" on the base before giving the whole thing a coat of mod-podge to give it a plasticky-resin feel. My player was totally stoked when I presented the set to him.

Oh, and back to Legos, our group's cleric built a celestial giant bee to act as her summoned creature. Early in the campaign, there were frequently calls to "send in the bee!" Now that the characters are higher level, it doesn't have the same effectiveness.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Okay, I should clarify...I didn't actually create the physical dice in the picture...found it online and "borrowed" it just to visually represent the fictional ones I created for the game.

But yeah, building/making stuff for game interaction is always cool and adds flavor to any session.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Legos, fantastic! Now I want to break my set out and play!

Those dice are amazing. I've only ever actually crafted one magic item I liked... they've all been a horrendous pain in my backside, so I break them frequently. Things like a magic staff imbued with the soul of a Planewalking adventurer - just became too much of a hassle to have around, really. Because he could talk. Or The pen that had the soul of a cartographer bound to it. Couldn't talk, but had the ability to sketch the surrounding area. Which meant I might have to have maps for *EVERYTHING*. Which was a pain.

My one favorite item was a bottle of water that contained a portal to the bottom of a Faerunian sea. With a proper strength check, it could act as a fire hose. Without it, it'd tear free from the player's hands and shoot about, causing havoc, mayhem, and injury. And potentially flooding whatever room they were in.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I wish I still had my Lego.

Sometimes this place makes me sad. (Everyone all together now, like a bad sitcom....ready?....."Awwwwwwww")
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    And, by the way, Rase, I can see your problem with the items you created (especially the pen) they made your players (and their characters') lives easier, but yours more difficult...oops. Good concepts, though.

Also dig the firehose/random projectile in the room. How would one turn it off if it took off, by the way?
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Ah, okay! I now understand the direction of this thread...

Please note, the story I am about to tell includes mention of adult toys. I try to keep it brief and clinical.

One of the more amusing items that I created spontaneously during a session popped into existence when my players were chasing down a lesser beholder. The beholder took petrified basilisk victims -which were presented to him by a kobold cult that worshiped him as a god- and dressed them in ways that their living form would find humiliating.

As the party made their way through the beholder's bizarre gallery, they began to ask specific questions about the petrified creatures and what they were wearing. I began with some obvious examples (male dwarves in dresses, drow with underclothes on their head, etc.) but soon ran out of ideas and turned to the toy figures I was using to represent the creatures. This lead to the invention of the "deep penguin" -a flightless bird who dwells in subterranean seas. But more importantly, in a moment of jest, I said the penguin had a sparkly rubber phallus tied to its forehead. Well, of course, the party decides to take it with them. So, on the spot I decided that the object in question could be used as a sap and treated as a martial weapon by anyone belonging to the churches of Olidammara or Ehlonna (deities of revelry and fertility). It had the added effect of causing any macho or uptight characters struck by the instrument to make a will save or fly into a fit of embarrassed rage, focusing all their future attacks on the character who thwapped them.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Well done, Gnunn, well done!

The only way to turn the bottle of watter off was to trap it against a wall (spraying outwards), and succeed against a hard strength check (or get assistance) to re-cork it. The normal cork had no problem dealing with the water, however.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    I like the dice Poutine. Kind of reminds me of a deck of many things, but obviously different. Back in high school we had whole sessions based around picking cards from the deck of many things and the crazy results afterwords. Have fun with the dice!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Gnunn, are you saying you had a toy figure of a penguin with a sparkly plastic phallus attached to it's head? Hahaha...good image. And good to see you have some players who don't take the game too seriously. Those are fun groups to be a part of...not that serious is bad mind you...okay, now I'm off topic...what? Where was I going with this?
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Just thought to myself, "I'd like to see Morgan Freeman narrate that!" and couldn't stop laughing!
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Dangit DM! I'm trying to read this at work!

@Poutine: Yes, I had a toy penguin. But no, I did not actually have a sparkly wiener.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    sorry Gnunn