Just looking for feedback

Duskreign
Duskreign
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
I ran a particularly snazzy session of my Star Wars game last night, and with Dyluth's inspiration, I've decided to revamp my Star Wars wiki. My goal initially was to make it very immersive, but now, I think I want to focus on ease of use and fast navigation. All I've done so far is the "home page,":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic but I wanted feedback on the aesthetics. I worked with the Nebula background that Obsidian Portal recently unveiled, and I decided to incorporate the Portal's existing white-space into the actual design (there is a white border surrounding the 730px central wiki area, so I incorporated several white borders in the actual wiki design), I also moved the navigation up into the banner space, freeing up the area beneath for content.

Thoughts?

Ideas?

Rabid political rants? (please... please, no).

Comments

• DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    That looks really cool Dusk! :)

I love these backgrounds but I think it kind of stinks that we only get to see the very edges of the pictures. The castle gate for instance is completely blocked and you only ever get to see the stone sides and a glimpse of the bottom of the gate. I like what you did, but I'm wondering if theres a way to just make the white space see-through instead of putting the background there in its place. What you did definately works for the background you picked, but it would look pretty aweful for the castle and maybe a few others.

I have no idea how one would go about such a thing so if any one has any ideas, that'd be great. I'm not really thinking of using this particular idea right now, but I find myself wishing I knew the code to play around with this.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    The issue is that the background images are static, so even if you get rid of the white space, that 750px area will scroll as you move down the page, and the sides will remain stationary.

As for actually removing, or hiding, the white border? I have no idea.

I am actually struggling with the fact that I can't modify the forum or comment pages to match the rest of the wiki. I wish I could figure out a workaround. I can place all my characters and maps on a self-made wiki page, but there's not much I can do about the forums or comments pages.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    "Here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/wikis/the-story-of-grazael-ulturis is an example of my plans for the adventure logs.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Hmm.. interesting. Sometimes I wish I had stuck with my I.T. major, but only for a few minutes and only while trying to understand stuff on OP.

Well I think it looks really good so far. Maybe someone will figure something out, this is a rather intelligent and computer savvy community.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Dusk - I leave the forums for a few days, and I come back and you've somehow gotten a PhD in interior/graphic design. All too cool my friend! I've been wondering what to do with the immutable White Background. Incorporating it is simply genius!

What you might be able to do, to solve the issue... potentially... (it might look horrible..) is... (ugh - this might look terrible...) static background image that meshes with the sides (I don't think it's a repeating image so much as a star map...) - and fix that in place. So essentially you have the frame and the background moving as one cohesive unit down the page, and the "content" sliding upwards as you move down. I don't know if it's possible to create an immovable background div while the content moves, but it should be, I think.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Heh, thanks, Rase!

"Here's how I want to handle all the faction pages.":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/wikis/the-player-characters In fact, most of my wiki is going to be set-up similarly. Thanks hugely for your help with the scrolling panels, Rase. I think they add a lot of functionality to this design. I'm real happy with this so far.

I just wish I had the skill necessary to create a viable dynamic character sheet for WEG's D6 Star Wars system. I could do the graphics, but the coding is, frankly, beyond me.
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hey guys, been MIA the last week or so but thought I'd chime in here. Dusk, the new setup looks really nice! I like how you've managed to keep the star theme consistent throughout the site, using the white background as a frame to separate the various sections of the page. I wonder though if there would be a way to extend the star pattern within the 750px section to the bottom of the page. It's not that the white space looks bad, but since you've already imported the star pattern within the 750px borders it would seem more natural for that pattern to extend all the way down to the bottom of the page as well. Just a thought. Looks fantastic though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I agree, but due to the nature of the image, I am afraid of excessive pattern repetition. Having said that, here is something that flies in the face of that logic:

"My new character sheet design":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/characters/dakenraokun
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I like it Dusk - Although it seems a bit busy without the white border following the image down, as it doesn't meet up properly with the borders of the page.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I agree. It's not working for me, Rase. I have to work on that more.

I can't extend the border down further for whatever reason. ???

I am considering other alternatives. Also, I want to leave room at on the page for backstory info.

I am considering making use of your scrolling panel code to shorten the sheet a bit.

/shrug
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    "How about now?":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/characters/dakenraokun
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Looks good. My only issue is that I tend to click and drag scroll bars and the rating stars are right over that so I ended up rating the character instead of scrolling down. But that's only a minor issue anyways.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Yeah, I have no freaking idea what I can do about those stupid always-on-top-of-everything stars :(
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    yeah...

All epistemological concerns aside, I know one thing for certain: Coding is hard. :( I find that I get different results in different browsers. My border divider thingies appear in the preview but not on the normal page in IE, but show up in Firefox... I think your page looks good man, I'm completely amazed at what you guys can do with your site. I struggle for hours just trying to get some simple thing to work. But I am learning something, so that's good.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I was thinking I might be able to get it to work if I can place the images on a z-layer above the main page, but every time I try that, everything gets really messed up.

And if I try to work around the stars, I lose too much data space for the character sheet.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I want to get the design down before I go through and update all the character sheets.

Oh, and thanks, DM! :D
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    HOLY CRAP! "I got it to work!":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/characters/dakenraokun

edit: Sort-of. The stars are still there, and they pop-up when you mouse over them, so they are still an obstruction. I think this is the best I can do, though.
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    z-layer??

sounds like the 4th dimension... in cyber space!
    0.o
    I'm not going to sleep well tonight!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    x is horizontal
    y is vertical
    z is toward/away. Like you're looking at a stack of papers. The bottom page would be the lowest z-value, and the top page the highest. It is how the ascendant ribbons overlap your profile pic.

Sleep well!
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    That actually makes much more sense than I thought it would. I think that means I have lost sanity points and learned about the mythos....

Later Dusk!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    What you lost in sanity you gained in hilarity :D
  • Bogus
    Bogus
    It looks real slick. I like it. I think it does well to suit your campaign setting.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Thanks, Bogus! It's a work in progress, in which the word progress is used quite optimistically.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Duskreign
    I like the way the Homepage works. Even if the background is stationary while the inner background moves, it works as they are the same (or similar) image.
    When it comes to the Main Wiki page, there are some moving stars on the inner background, which I really like, but I think the whole combination of three different types of star systems is a bit distracting when you are navigating around the page.

(You said it was NAVIGATION that you were mainly concerned with)

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member