Background thoughts

Takissis
Takissis
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Okay I need an opinion, and my husband is no help. I created a background for my page to fill in all the grey area on the sides. Would someone mind checking it out and tell me if it is too distracting or silly? Butterflies are a changeling theme, in case anyone is wondering why the choice.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/eternalmyst

Comments

• ketherian
    ketherian
    I like it.
    I don't find it distracting; but if you're worried - can you reduce the number of butterflies in the background?
  • Takissis
    Takissis
    That's not a problem. Just takes a simple fix of the background image.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    How'd you do that!?!?!?!?!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Definitely looks fine to me, but if you could make it static (no scrolling) I think it would be perfect. Not sure if you can do that with a tiled background, but I think you can.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    I like'em!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I like it as well, but I think I'd like it even better if you go with ketherian's idea of removing some butterflies. It's pretty busy as it is, and I think the occasional butterfly would be a nice accent without overpowering it. Just a thought, take it for what it's worth.
  • Takissis
    Takissis
    Alright, so I cut the number of butterflies down by about 60%, and I made the position fixed so that it doesn't scroll.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Vera nice!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I hate to be nit-picky, but I liked that it scrolled before...butterfly reduction works well, though. Good job with or without the scrolling, Takissis
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Just goes to show you can't please everyone Takissis. I like both versions myself, but go with your gut. After all it's your site and you're the one that's going to be looking at them all the time.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Agreed. It's always cool to have someone else admire your work...but it is, when all is said and done, YOUR work. By the way, speaking of having others admire your work, Arsheesh, I never thanked you for the shout-out on our site the other week. It's still in the early stages of construction, but it's nice that we now have 1 fan, anyway...especially when it's someone I hold in such high esteem as yourself
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hey it was well deserved! I really like how you guys did all the crests and such on the Northern and Southern Kingdoms pages. Also, you guys have developed a really unique look to the site. Pretty impressive work for only being "in the early stages of development."

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I got a "button" type code off these forums (Gnunn, maybe?) and Wild_Gazebo figured out how to make it work. I'll admit he's the one figuring out most of the coding issues, I'm more of a content guy myself. (as well as coming up with design concepts that he then gets to try to to figure out how to make work, hehe)
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    Holy smokes! There is simply no way to keep up with this forum's constant advances in html manipulation.

My hat is off to you, Takissis.

The rest of the wiki is looking better and better as well. Keep up the good work!
  • erwin
    erwin
    I don't think it's distracting..

Honestly, the choice of keeping the grey background is a nice and subtle touch,

and the amount of butterflies is just right. Like it's a good balance to where it isn't distracting, at least to me! Ahha.
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    I dig it. That's actually pretty sick. I didn't even know it was possible to do back round images. Big ups to you, ma'am! Keep up the awesome work!
  • Takissis
    Takissis
    Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Not only do I like it, but I'm co-opting the idea for the redesign of my Star Wars site.

So, I shall have to mention you fondly in my acknowledgments section, when I get around to setting it up.

Truly excellent work, Taki!
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Background looks pretty cool to me. Gosh, I sure am glad I don't live in the Duchy of Spring Promise - must get some pretty severe winters there!!!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member