Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

NickPendrell
NickPendrell
edited December 2010 in Player Lounge
Hi Everyone,

My name is Nick and I am new to this board, but very much an old-timer when it comes to role-playing, having come into the hobby way back in 1977 with the original D&D and Traveller.

I took a break from role-playing during the Eighties and early Nineties, but got back into the hobby in the mid-Nineties with a bit of face-to-face gaming and also by DMing a very intense D&D PBeM called Bohavia, which managed to generate over a million words while it ran from 1997-2001.

Nearly a decade later and I'm interested in starting off gaming again - just as a player for the time-being, as I am quite rusty.

I would be interested in playing D&D or Traveller and am free to play most evenings, European time.

I like my games to be heavy on role-playing and character development rather than hack and slash. I like the look of Virtual Tabletop programs, but haven't checked any of them out in detail yet as there seem to be so many of them around that I can't work out which would be the best to go with.

I am looking forward to be part of your excellent community.

Comments

• Everdark
    Everdark
    Hello there, Nick. Welcome to Obsidian Portal! Good to have ya. I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for. You can expect a warm welcome from the community here. It's a group of great people.

Enjoy your stay here at OP, man.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Welcome to the Portal Nick! I wish you the best in finding a game that meets your needs. By the way, have you seen "this thread":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1527&page=1#Item_8 yet?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Welcome aboard Nick! I'm sure you're a man of wealth and taste. I'm very pleased to meet you!
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Welcome, Nick! It's nice to see another grizzled vet of table-top RPGing in the Forums. Woo-Hoo! Woo-Hoo! Woo-Hoo!

And get out of my head, Rase!
  • NickPendrell
    NickPendrell
    Thanks very much to everyone for the warm welcome - it's very good to see that everyone is so friendly.

@ arsheesh - yes, I did take a look at all of the links from this page. It's an excellent starting point.

I'm now thinking more along the lines of GMing a Classic Traveller campaign so, if anyone would be interested in an online game starting once the festivities are out of the way in January, then let me know and we can start talking.

@ Frank - it's nice to know that there are some other old-timers here so I don't feel like everyone's Dad/Granddad!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Hey, Nick! Sorry this took me so long :)

I wanted to welcome you to the Obsidian Portal! I've not been playing since quite so long ago as you, but I've been involved in the hobby for the past 20 years. I am always thrilled to see new people on the site, specifically on the forums, but most especially when they are rpg veterans like yourself!

I am interested to see what develops with your Classic Traveler campaign, even if not as a player, but a close observer and likely admirer.

I welcome you to check out my campaign pages and let me know what you think. If I can be of any assistance to you in getting settled in here on the portal, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Once again, welcome to the Obsidian Portal!

"Duskreign":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/Duskreign

"Wyrmshadow Campaign Setting":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Once again I am behind the rest of the welcoming committee, but I humbly extend my greetings as well. Everyone here is great, and, though I also have not the history with RPG's that you have, I'm somewhere in the Duskreign area of 20 ish years, and you'll find (as I certainly have) that even the newbs have interesting insights to share, and freely do so.

See you around the forums, hopefully.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Yeah, it's hard to shut us new guys up, sometimes :) Me Especially.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I like the idea of an Obsidian Portal welcoming committee. Quick! Someone bake up a homemade pie so we can take it over to the new neighbors' place!

And Rase? Don't you EVER shut up. (Note, if I changed the period to a question mark, that last sentence would be vastly different and quite mean)
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Thanks man! My fiancee actually gave me a look of despair last night and said "You sure do talk a lot." ...I can't help it. Well, I can, but it's no fun otherwise. My co-workers hate me sometimes :P
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    LOL
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Rase, tell your co-workers that if they don't like it, they should find another job. Be who you are, sir...that's why we like you
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    And if being yourself doesn't work... Going in to work with a loaded shotgun does! Everyone is your friend on that day! =D
  • NickPendrell
    NickPendrell
    Thanks once again everyone for their very warm welcome. You guys certainly know how to make someone feel right at home straight away!

I checked out your sites, Duskreign, and they are all very impressive indeed. Now you're making me feel a little nervous though that I won't be able to come up with something anywhere near as professional with my own efforts.

I'll certainly have fun trying though!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Naw, you can do it. And yeah, it's a lot of fun to boot.

Vin, I don't want to bother filling out that application anymore...
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    Don't worry, man. We're cool already.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    The loaded shotgun scenario made me rethink the whole idea.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    A bit late here but just wanted to say welcome Nick!
  • NickPendrell
    NickPendrell
    Thanks for the welcome, DarkMagus.

I am definitely looking forward to contributing.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Also late here, but "Hi Nick!"
    I'm sure you will be enjoying a game by now, as well as the OP Forum.

Welcome back to Roleplaying as well. I know what it means to come back to the game after a long absence!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• NickPendrell
    NickPendrell
    Hi twiggyleaf,

Better late than ever, as they say.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I had a very busy but pleasant Christmas planning the campaign and starting off the first few players to introduce them to the story.

It feels good to be back in the saddle!