Question About Sourcing in the Wiki Pages

Dyluth
Dyluth
edited November 2010 in General Archive
Fellow gamers, I have a question about sourcing on our wiki pages, specifically how to or when to do it here on OP.

What is the proper way if any to source or credit a book or website you've drawn at least some information from while writing an entry for a wiki page in your campaign site, be it just a little factoid or a whole set of stats. Is there a set format or standard here on Obsidian? If anyone has any ideas or thoughts please let me know, I'm curious to see what the community thinks.

Comments

• Curufea
    Curufea
    I tend to use wikipedia and wikimedia or created art for my campaign, which is public domain. However being a librarian with ILL experience I recommend the following-

Ask the owner of the website how they wish to be credited.

In general when you encounter anything on the internet, you should always assume it is copyright, unless they specifically say otherwise on the page you are looking at (hence my print and play games often have a Creative Commons declaration).

There is no hard and fast rule for web content because it is worldwide, and copyright law varies from country to country.

So in general - ask the owner of the content.

On a side note, books are easier to credit - just find your local laws on copyright and fair use.
    Post edited by Curufea on
  • Dyluth
    Dyluth
    That seems straight forward enough I suppose. Thanks Curufea!