My new layout

Comments

• gaaran
    gaaran
    here is the code, it includes the banner again, overlaying the actually banner (not sure why/if you need that, but i left it in from arsheesh's early code, and it doesn't break anything) and my links for each part.

edit: oh and sorry about the mess, but i can't have any spaces or anything in there if i want the images to line up.
    Post edited by gaaran on
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I just slap this in the top of the main page? Or every page?
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    you can actually slap it at the bottom of the page, that's what i do, cause it uses absolute values for everything. and yeah, you paste that in, you'll get my banner and tabs. if your graphics program can makes slices, i suggest making it all one image and cutting it up so that everything matches up perfectly. i made everything on mine based on a 730px wide banner
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    OK, does it have to be done on each page or does it work from one page -- because there are benefits to both. Especially regarding that project I'm about to bring in here.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    it has to be included on every page you want it to appear on
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    That's good, that means we can hide tabs. I mean, they'd still be there, but blended into background.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    actually, putting them over the tabs would make the tabs inactive, that was one of the issues i ran into early in the side bar (which rase helped fix)

edit: but you could have it be one giant reset button... ;)
    Post edited by gaaran on
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Guys, I want to ask that code to marry me, but I can't afford the dowry. I need to make a quick kabillion dollars. Ideas?

Also, "check this out and let me know whachoo think.":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/wyrmshadow

I tested it in Mozilla, Larryzilla, Curlyzilla, Safari, Atari, Chrome, Frankincense, Myrrh, Hyper-myrrh, and a the lid of a discarded pizza box with "INTURNATZ" written on it in slices of green bell pepper. I only ran into issues on the pizza box lid, but in it's defense, I am an idiot.

Edit: Oh crap, Gaaran, I didn't see that you had already commented about Wyrmshadow's reskinnification process. I have added a border since then, though. :)
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    that's pretty awesome looking dusk, the only thing, and it's nothing you can probably do anything about, is that little bit of white spill over around the body of everything. that and your fancy border covers up just a titch of some of your images in the body of the page. Otherwise, i think it looks very awesome, the borders are really neat-o!

also, i can't believe that you tested 10 browsers and none of them were internet explorer ;).
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    The pizza box is a better browser.

Edit:

Also, the filigree is meant to seem like it is enclosing the page, so it does cover a few images here and there, but only by a pixel or two. It isn't mucking up any links, so I'm happy.

About the white space at the bottom... /shrug. I can't figure out how to fix it so that everything lines up correctly in every browser. Some of them seem to show that bottom banner to be higher than others, so if I make it perfect in one browser, the others suffer. I guess I'm ok with it for now, until I figure it out.
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    lol, touche
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Hee Hee
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I tested it on Internet Explorer negative pi, which should tell you how long it has been since I used IE, much less updated it (1885. Doc Brown insisted that I install it.)

It works fine on that geriatric crapheap of a browser, so I'm cool.

You hear that? I'm now officially cool from now on.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I used IE 5 for a couple weeks until I got the Netscape Navigator suite. Then I used an old busted version of Netscape 4 while I waited for Firefox to come out. I miss Netscape.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Fixed the white space issue, methinks.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Clever girl.... *ahem* sorry Jurassic Park just doesn't get quoted often enough... not that... ah.. yeah...

Looks great dusk, looks like it's just about that time for everyone to do major overhauls :P
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    Yeah it is. Stupid people who do stupid awesome coding that I have to steal from because I R too dum to make dem my stupid self *grumble grumble*

Fortunately, I may just be too lazy to do it ^.^v
    Post edited by vstraydogstrutv on
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Dusk, if I weren't already engaged, I'd ask your code to marry me. But then I'd run into a whole bunch of legal issues because I don't think I can do that, so I'd have to elope to a non-extradition country, like Alaska, and wait out the rest of my days until the world catches up with my love for that design.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Dusk, I'm checking your page out using Firefox 3.6.10, and I'm running in to a lot of problems (dead links, etc.). What version of Firefox did you test with?

Love the designs you've come up with, though.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    oh yeah, there are going to be some dead links for now, while i work on it, there are lots of links to new pages that i haven't made yet, and i dunno, but it was updated a few weeks ago, which pages were you running into problems on?

edit: it was firefox 3.6.10
    Post edited by gaaran on
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    I'm not encountering any issues with yours, gaaran - just Dusk's.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    ah... gotcha, gotcha cool :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Same version, Frank. Can I get double confirmation from someone else using the same browser? Because everything seems to be working on my end.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Dusk:

Now that I'm viewing on my home computer, it looks fine. The work computer is a bit of a dinosaur.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Well, slowly but surely it's all coming together... I didn't take into account just how big of a project this is to redesign EVERYTHING... but it's definitely paying off.

I've completed the "geography":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/melekar/wikis/Geography and "history":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/melekar/wikis/History sections I think, and the overall layout and design is done... the only big section left is the Current Campaign, the rest is small stuff.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, help, and code, I couldn't have done it without you :).
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Heehee! I like the staggered layouts!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Great minds think alike eh? I swear I hadn't seen your layout before I made that, honest! ;)
    Post edited by gaaran on
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    lol
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I really hadn't :P

your new layout looks pretty good too though, all kidding aside :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Yeah, not TOO shabby. :)