Campaign Ideas

Silence_Eve
Silence_Eve
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
So, I have been thinking (and this is the result of anger, frustration, and overall stress) and I think a campaign where the players are the bad guys and prevail over the heroes. I don't know, I think it would just be fun to be the evil ones for once...then again I usually play a Chaotic Evil/Neutral character. But this is different, to like take over plains and destroy the pure gods.

...maybe I should just go hide back in my cave and kill more Darkspawn before I leave for Minnesota Saturday.

Or we could have fun with this =D

Comments

• FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    While I love the idea of playing an _evil_ campaign, I'm not sure it would be that much different from playing a _good_ campaign.

The motivations of an _evil_ party would probably be very similar to a _good_ party. Outside of their actual alignment, the characters would be similar. A good GM could easily make some minor changes to any off-the-shelf module/scenario and make it suitable for a group of evil characters.

Now, what I've always thought would be interesting is to write a campaign that would require a group of _good_ characters and a group of _evil_ characters to attempt to achieve a common goal (perhaps retrieve an artifact that could change the fate of a war, or some other fantasy cliche). One week, the GM would work with the _good_ players, and the next he/she would work with the _evil_ players. Each group would have rumor of the other, but would never actually come face to face (perhaps one group would be just a few minutes too late to confront the other). When the campaign reaches its climax, both groups would be brought together to fight it out in a RPG Battle Royale.
    Post edited by FrankSirmarco on
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    I tend to agree.
    In settings where there are strict definitions of good and evil, and the majority of problems are solved with violence - the only difference to the players will be choice of whom to kill.
  • Silence_Eve
    Silence_Eve
    Ah, Frank, I believe my group already did that. It didn't last long though because my poor druid was terrified of everyone and had to be bound to a horse for the majority of the campaign. It wasn't fun...especially when the Black Knight would restrain her...he was essentially the only one that could get near her without her passing out.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I think that I'd love to play in Franks idea... although My campaign was already headed in that direction...

The party has had a certain development where one of the characters is no longer compatible in the slightest with the rest of the party... her ambition and drive has outgrown what the party wants to do/is capable of doing (due to alignment and philosophy), so she's growing out of PC-status to become an antagonist. It's always interesting to think of things on the other side of the Blood War: you have different plot lines, but largely, demon or angel, devil or archon, often, it's just the race of the old man in the grey cloak in the corner of the bar that changes. You get different sorts of leeway whichever way you go... you can play games with a lawful party by making them writhe as they have to break or bend a law, but chaotic evil characters are very difficult to control unless you have a very firm grip on what they want.
  • Silence_Eve
    Silence_Eve
    All of my chaotic evil characters normally know what they want, it's the chaotic neutral ones that don't.

I would like to play another alignment-mix campaign again, but on a bigger scale. It would be more fun if I played with a group who didn't know how my characters normally think and react. I like keeping my group on their toes.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Delusions...

An adventuring party goes through half the game being good guys, saving lives, killing bad guys, etc. Then, the spell wears off, and they see what they have really been doing all along. Some powerful magic was used (by who? WHO?) to alter their perceptions. They didn't save the orphans from that fire. They started the fire and killed everyone who tried to put it out! They didn't save the king from being assassinated. They killed the king! Then, the illusion fades, they are wanted criminals, and they have no idea who set them up. To top it off, they are filled with such resentment, still remembering the hero worship from all these people who now hate them and want them dead.
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Or on a much lighter note, they could just be damn dirty (and perhaps a bit silly) "pirates":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/tcocb...