Format issues w/ grey block

freyja3120
freyja3120
edited August 2010 in Campaign Portal Building
I'm currently having issues with one of the pages on my wiki formatting oddly. I'm trying to have pages with the formatting of some of my templates, shown in the Textile markup so that I can copy and paste without having to open the edit page. I'm decently proficient with the basic textile formatting, and know very little about other times of formatting (except what I may have taken from the forums here). For some reason, though, when I try to format this page:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/halcyon/wikis/god-entry

I end up with strange formatting, and I'm not sure what's causing it, or how to fix it.

Here is what I have typed in:

!{float:right}god symbol image small enough to fit above line, or hit enter until appropriate!

---
_Common epithets_

*Symbol:*

*Alignment:*

*Portfolio:*

*Worshippers:*

*Cleric Alignments:*

*Domains:*

*Favored Weapon:*

Description of the god himself goes here, along with pertinent stories.

*Dogma*
This section covers the beliefs of the followers. Include philosophies, taboos, and rituals. Also include any different sects that may exist among the followers of the god.

*Clergy and Temples*

Who worships the god? This could include racial/class leanings, as well as alignments. Describe the common appearance of the priests of the god, as well as the general layout and common location types of the temples. Also describe how visitors might be treated here (if they are a common enough occurence.)

*Optional Entries:*

If desired, include a stat block of the god or its avatar, as well as an associated creatures, artifacts, familars, pets, etc.

If anyone could spot what I've done wrong, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Comments

• JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Could not tell you, mine do that too. It still works as a copy paste on mine though it doesn't look right.
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    The _pre_ tag is used to display pre-formatted text, and therefore does not do any additional formatting for you, such as adding line breaks. OP's presentation of this tag allows this text to be visible even as it extends out of the block of the element, rather than just hiding it. Thus, your code flows off the right hand side of the page into nowhere. To add horizontal scrolling, you just need a little CSS in the opening _pre_ tag, like so:
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Alternately, it can be done in a div, as per so: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/planescape-campaign/wikis/code-test

CSS Scares the pants off of me half the time, and the other half the time, I don't know it's there.
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    The only catch with using a div instead of the _pre_ tag is that the system knows to respect the _pre_ tag, and not actually use the code inside as code. If you're trying to store templates for easy access, that's invaluable.

And for what it's worth, CSS is nothing to be scared of. It's just the natural evolution of the old formatting tags and attributes (_b_, _i_, _font_, _background=_ and so forth) into a more powerful, consistent, easy to use system. Learn it. Use it. Love it. :)
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Truth - I haven't begun trying to store templates for easy access.. I tend to use the messier filing method of recycling code from other pages. A bit more painful if you forget how you did something, but there it goes.

The trick with CSS, I suppose, is actually getting to learn it. I've only been recently exposed to it. If you've got a handy guide, I'd be more than happy to study up :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    ChainsawXIV, will you accept me as your Padawan learner. I wanna be just like you when I grow up!
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    At the risk of totally derailing this thread, I recommend "this tutorial":http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp from W3Schools. That site has loads of great tutorials, and is also my go-to source for reference on how any given thing works out in the wide world of web development.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    CSS looks quite snazzy, but do we have to host a .css file on an external server to get it to operate properly?
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Not at all, and in fact you can't use an external CSS file on here. You will need to use in-line styles - _Red!_ for example. It's kinda a pain, but avoids some security and presentation concerns on their end.
    Post edited by ChainsawXIV on
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    ChainsawXIV, that tutorial changed my damn life.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Okay! So apparently, I've been using CSS without realizing it: I thought it was part of HTML. ALL HAIL CSS!