Hey All

Stix
Stix
edited November 2007 in Player Lounge

Comments

• Stix
    Stix
    Hey everybody. Found this site on a banner ad, and I'm very impressed with it.

A little about me: I'm 25, living in Rochester, NY with my wife and daughter (any day now, that'll be two daughters). We work opposite schedules to manage child care, so neither my wife nor myself gets a whole lot of time to spend on hobbies; the convenience of play-by-post gaming makes it much more realistic than trying to gather people at the house for a few hours of play.

I got my start in AD&D 2E with the advent of the Planescape setting (it's still my favorite). After a few years, I discovered the (original) World of Darkness games; Werewolf, Vampire, Changeling, Hunter, Demon, and Orpheus are all settings with which I'm experienced. I've poked around with a few other systems -- West End's Star Wars, new WoD Vampire, 7th Sea, D&D 3.X/d20, and Scion -- and found them to my liking. Shadowrun and other sci-fi/cyberpunk games, however, don't appeal to me; I don't really know why. It may just be that I've never played in a good one.

If anyone runs a game that's play-by-post (instead of a chat- or IM-based medium) and is in need of another player, let me know and I'll take a crack at it. : ) Hope to talk to some of you soon!
  • Micah
    Micah
    Welcome!

This site is not really geared toward play-by-post, although there's nothing that should make it impossible. The adventure logs are freely editable by anyone in the campaign. Still, we don't have features such as sending notifications when a post is made. I guess you could use the RSS feed to keep track, though. That's what I like to do.

Anyways, if you can't find a campaign to join, try starting one of your own and see if anyone wants to join. I'm curious to see if the site can be useful for PbP campaigns.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    I just want to chime in and say that while OP is not specifically geared towards play-by-play posts, I think that it really offers a spectacular resource for PbP campaigns. Any campaign benefits from an organized and mutually accessible area for campaign data, but it has been my experience that PbP campaigns require a good deal more organizational skills than your average campaign due to the fact that the play often takes place on (sometimes wildly) different schedules. Being able to have your facts neatly chronicled and made available to all participants at any given time can really smooth out those little snags that occur when you are trying to orchestrate something that could realistically take a week to accomplish just by merits of the medium alone. Additionally, for campaigns that use medium such as email or a mailing list to play, having a site for your campaign is not just a good idea, but a vital necessity.
  • MythicParty
    MythicParty
    Hey Stix. I'm in Rochester, NY too, so if by chance you're able to 'come out and play' perhaps we can look for a local gaming group? PbP (like PBEM) sounds convenient, I've just never done it and there's gaming with live people is so much more social. I know a great DM and could possibly host. PM if interested.

Steve G.
    http://avatarart.com/