Embedding a Custom Map from maps.google.com?

JonathonVolkmer
JonathonVolkmer
edited July 2010 in Campaign Portal Building
Is it possible to do this either in the Maps section, or on a wiki page? I couldn't see any way to do so in the maps section - it just wants an image uploaded from my computer, which may be my final resort if I can't use what I've already made. In the wiki, the normal html tags for embedding the map didn't work for me, but I'm no pro - it was just a copy and paste job from what they gave me. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathon

"Beyond the Pale":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/beyond-the-pale

Comments

• AdamDray
    AdamDray
    On a wiki page, just use an HTML img tag:
  • AdamDray
    AdamDray
    Upon closer reading, I realized you said this didn't work. But it should, because I do it with images hosted on my own server all the time. But I think you're doing something different than just trying to link to an image. Or else Google Maps doesn't allow external linking to their images, which is likely.

If you want just the image of the Google map, you can Shift-PrintScreen and paste it into MS Paint or some other drawing program and save it as a JPEG or PNG file, and then upload that to OP.

If you want their scrollable map /widget/, that's another story. I doubt that Textile will allow the script code that Google Maps inserts into their widget template.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Doesn't OP already use the Google widget for its map area?
  • AdamDray
    AdamDray
    I think he's trying to embed an actual Google map, not one of his own maps.
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    This would be an incredible feature!
    We're planning a V:tm campaign located in Marseilles.
    To have a 'real' Google map in the map section would be absolutely gorgeous!
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    Maybe of interest for somebody...
    Embedding a "live" google map (API) works, if you embed it via the video-button. Just put in the google-maps link (not the embedding code!) instead of the videolink.
    Unfortunately I still can`t edit the size... .
    Post edited by Praesi on
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    Praesi, great, great find. That should be a fun tool in the future.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Yes, I agree, great find!!

Just trying to help out.

• Praesi
    Praesi
    So, if anyone finds out about how to change the map size: please let me know ;-)
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    -sry for double post-

Is anyone familiar with the links to google maps? Is there a possibility of requesting a map in certain size? Are the maybe special parameters for that?
    Putting the map on my OP-Page brings "only" the standard size of 425x350px
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    I tinkered around with it, I wasn't able to change the size. Theory: I think the obsidian portal tag has a hard coded value.
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    So you think it's an issue with OP?
    But i.e. a youtube movie is "delievered" widescreen - so I think the size comes in with the link or the linked item.
    I`ll keep on trying... .
  • Sorwen
    Any luck?