every PLAYER I add can edit everything WHY?

Abaddon
edited June 2010 in General Archive
I am adding the players in my party and I make sure I don't select them as co-DM, but as each log-in to this site they all can edit everything. What setting to I have wrong?

Comments

• FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    When I was playing around with a test campaign, I found that players added to it could modify any NPCs created after they were added to the game.

I am not entirely sure that there *is* a setting to "fix" that. Back when I was starting out on the Portal and a much heavier user of the forums, I know a lot of GMs were *begging* for ideas on how to get their players to do *more* editing - take some of the workload of keeping the site current as they discover new things.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    As far as I know, players can edit everything except stuff you have marked as GM only.

Maybe this is a cry for a 'protect page' feature?
  • Hardhead
    Hardhead
    Generally, I think the idea is these are your friends, so they're not going to vandalize your page.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    While that is true, nothing hurts more than doing a crapton of work without using the backup feature, only to find out one of your friends has practiced the art of ineptitude and blanked the whole page.

This has happened....
  • Gravedigga
    Gravedigga
    These are potentially two different issues. Sure, you don't want people (players) "vandalizing" your wiki. And I agree with Hardhead, that shouldn't happen. Ever.

Where this could be construed as a feature request is in JimTriche's case of a "blanked" wiki page: other wikis with which I've come into contact have a page history. So blanking a page is a non-issue. It also makes it easy to follow the stream that is a dynamically growing wiki. I wish OP had histories for the wiki pages. In order to get around this, I personally keep all my pages as text files offline and use an update log (that must be completed manually) after each update. "Example":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/new-campaign/wikis/wiki-update-log#contents. Incrementally, it is some work. But it is less work than rebuilding pages from scratch, and guarantees me no loss of content.

Best,

Gravedigga