A Neat Use for the Campaign Forums

Hardhead
Hardhead
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
So, I just thought I'd toss this out to everyone as it's an idea I had recently that seems to have been a hit with my players: the downtime forum chat. The idea is, after every adventure I post a new message in the forum setting up a scene, and the players then post to the thread in-character and talk as their characters. Basically, it lets the players do some downtime roleplaying and flesh out their characters a little more and get some interaction that isn't out adventuring.

It also let's the players that like that kind of thing roleplay their characters just idly chatting without boring the players that are a little more action oriented. "Here's the link":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/world-of-crucible/forum in case anyone wants to check it out.

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    You know Hardhead, I was actually planning to do something similar with my ToDV campaign. The players just recently defeated a "Soul Forged" undead that had this weapon called a Soul Chain which was a pretty awesome weapon, but which threatened to possess its wielder. There was a huge argument about what to do with the weapon once the Forge Spurned was slain. One of the players wanted his character to keep the weapon (accepting the risks) while the rest of the party ranged from feelings of ambivalence to out right disgust about the matter. The issue never got resolved by the end of the session, and I was thinking about setting up and logging a sort of out-of-game discussion on the topic, as I think it would be a great opportunity for the party to think about just what it is that their characters value. So kudos to you guys, and I will definitely be trying this idea (although I do not currently have the forum tab enabled, I might have to think of alternatives).
  • derrii
    Thats really kool arsheesh
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Hmmm. I find your ideas interesting and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • BrokenClock
    BrokenClock
    Been using the forums for in-game conversation since I started my campaign.

"My forums":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/govaga/forum/on-the-boat
    Post edited by BrokenClock on
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Well Hardhead, you finally convinced me to take the plunge to becoming Ascendant! I had been meaning to upgrade my account for some time, but seeing how you used your forums was what tipped me over the edge.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    You weren't an Ascendant Member yet Sheesh? I guess I just assumed :P. That's a good idea, though, I might have to try it (although I really only have one player that contributes on a regular basis, plus an intermittent one, so we'll see how that goes...).
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    I am now!
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Well, your "neat idea" turned out to be just that Hardhead. My players responded well to the idea of an out of game session "role" playing session; hence, we now have completed our first forum topic entitled "Much Ado About a Soul Chain":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/tales-of-darkmoon-vale/forum/much-ado-about-a-soul-chain. Thanks again for the idea.
  • sandman
    sandman
    bq). I am now!

One of us! One of us! O.O
  • DireHammer
    DireHammer
    Heck, I run a pbp in my group's forum.