Suggestion For June

jdcengel
jdcengel
edited May 2010 in Campaign Submissions
I would like to nominate arsheesh's "Age of Legends" campaign to be next month's featured campaign. ( http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/age-of-legends ) The campaign is stunning to look upon, the NPCs are interesting and engaging, and the literary creativity is clear on almost every page. More importantly, the obsidian portal community would benefit from emulating several aspects of Age of Legends, including the adventure log banner headings, the beautiful system of graphic hyperlinks, and many others. Additionally, arsheesh freely shares his secrets to creating such an amazing setting on his acknowledgments page, which would be an excellent resource for other GMs to reference. In summary, Age of Legends should be next featured campaign not only because it is an amazing work in its own right, but also because the other campaigns on Obsidian Portal can benefit by emulating its techniques.

Below, please find the criteria for a feature campaign selection, as well as why Age of Legends exemplifies these criteria:

I. What is the update frequency? When was the last update to the campaign? Are updates sporadic, or constant?
Arsheesh updates the campaign frequently, and is an active participant on the forums and in the Obsidian Portal community. His acknowledgments page is filled with references and links to other members of the community and the resources they have shared.

II. Can we get in contact with the DM? Sometimes we contact a DM and ask them what they think of being a Featured Campaign and they never write back. It makes us sad. Having DM consent is critical, and sometimes the DM provides us with useful tidbits that make for an even better Featured Campaign article.
I have messaged Arsheesh several times, and he has always responded to me within a matter of hours. He should be remarkably easy to get in contact with.

III. Is there maximized usage of the O.P. tools? When we click on the tabs for the campaign, is there content in most of them, or just the auto-text placeholder? How thorough is the Adventure log or wiki? Are there player comments or forum posts? Are there NPCs to track and items to itemize?
The adventure log is both thorough and a work of art. I have no shame in admitting that I have stolen Age of Legends system of banner heading for my own adventure log. Every last NPCs has a picture (and there are many NPCs!), and most have multi-paragraph descriptions. The map was (according to the acknowledgements page) developed with professional image software with the help of the Cartographer's Guild. No tab except the forum tab (which requires a membership to use) is left blank.

IV. Does it have that certain… je ne se quoi? What new or exciting thing does this campaign have? Is there a unique setting? Is there tight player integration into their campaign? Is it hilarious? Does it have interesting house rules? Does it have YouTube videos? Is the art really bangin’? Is there a calendar that converts Gregorian time to Fantasy time? Are there pictures of the game table, or critical roles? Did the DM go to the trouble to re-work a literary classic and set it in their campaign as world building lore? Are the players’ internet celebrities that would want to be our friends and invite us to their birthday parties? There has to be something interesting about the campaign that makes it special.
The system of graphic hyperlinks, adventure log banner headings, reference section, and others are remarkable and (more or less) unique to the campaign. It could stand as an "encyclopedia of how to use Obsidian Portal tools effectively" just as well as it serves as an actual campaign. The campaign also uses a single image across multiple different art images to reinforce its strong themes. There's almost too much that's unique and interesting to mention here; you should have a peek for yourself.

V. Is everyone having fun? Reading through the logs and wikis, you can really get a sense of how involved or how enjoyable a campaign is. If the players’ aren’t having any fun, or if the DM isn’t enjoying herself, then why bring that to light for everyone to note and mock and ridicule?
Yes. Players appear to be very active in the campaign. Four of the six characters have long, multi-paragraph bios. The comments section is filled with player activity.

Nominated by:
jdcengel
DM of Imperium Illithidus
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/imperium-illithidus

Comments

• sandman
    sandman
    I agree with jdcengel, and it's true: Arsheesh is an invaluable person in this community.

My vote goes for Age of Legends too.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Thirded :)
  • amerigoV
    amerigoV
    I vote AGAINST. His work makes mine look like a 3 year old did it. Can we get one that is "good", not "impossible to compete with"? :)
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    LMAO @ amerigo

Arsheesh has DEFINITELY been a great help to me in particular. Of course, so have Chainsaw and Gnunn and Gaaran and sandman and Tomato and a host of others.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Thanks you guys, I'm incredibly honored to receive such high praise from those whom I equally respect.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    It's well earned Arsheesh. While you've been a great help in the community and to everyone, that really has no bearing on featured campaign. But that's okay, cause your Age of Legends setting is more than qualified for featured campaign on it's own merits. Good Luck Arsheesh!
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Hell gaaran, either one of Arsheesh's campaigns would qualify for artistic merit and content in my opinion.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Hehe, yeah Jim, i definitely agree. May the best DM win :)
  • Idabrius
    Idabrius
    I'd definitely support Arsheesh for victory!
  • Hardhead
    Hardhead
    I want to cast a pro-Arsheesh vote as well. :)
    Post edited by Hardhead on