Hello from Nicole from "Tuesdays with Nicole"

calabacita
calabacita
edited May 2010 in Player Lounge
Hello Everyone on Obsidian Portal! This is Nicole from the new "Tuesdays with Nicole" segment from Obsidian Portal. If you haven't seen it, please check it out at: http://blog.obsidianportal.com/?p=541 . I'm basically using content from OP users (with permission of course) and doing a quick sketch of that character, item, monster, encounter, etc. The video airs every 2 weeks (the next one will be Tues. May 18th). I've received wonderful responses, suggestions and new content from users; but for a future installment, I'm really looking for an item to draw: something very personalized to your character like a weapon, vehicle, magic item, pet, etc. Please post a link below if you have an item you want drawn.

A little about my gaming history: I've played only for 2 years and I haven't DMed anything, but I'm working on that ;) I've played a couple one shots in the Scion, Exalted and a 4E Shards of Alara setting. My first experience with playing a long-term campaign was a 3.5 Accordlands game as a Deverenian paladin. When 4E launched, I started playing it right away. I'm currently in an Eberron campaign, playing a human artificer named Leonora D'Cannith--and I love playing an artificer. She's only level 2, but I'm hoping to get her to epic level.

I look forward to being more involved with the online gaming community here at Obsidian Portal.

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Once again Nicole, thanks for going the extra mile for the Portal. I tried to think of an item that might interesting for you to draw, but alas, neither of my campaigns currently has unique enough items to warrant your time and expertise. Now if you are ever are interested in drawing architectural structures on the other hand, I have a couple of suggestions in mind.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • calabacita
    calabacita
    You're welcome :) I'm really liking how friendly the OP community is and how everyone is willing to share their awesome campaign ideas for me to draw. Oooh, architectural structures, I hadn't thought of that! I'm up for drawing pretty much anything, so I'd love to hear these suggestions of yours.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Hello there Nicole, I'm with Arsheesh in saying thanks for offering your hand to help us less than talented folks in the ways of art. I don't have a link up to these items yet, but there is a twin pair of swords that surface from time to time in the history of my "world":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/melekar

They are known as Virtue and The Void. They are sentient artifacts that can change their shape to any weapon to suit their chosen champions. I realize that would be kind of hard to draw, so the last time they appeared in my world, Virtue was a greatsword with a platinum blade, and a pair of golden intertwining angel wings forming the crossguard, pommel, and hilt. The Void on the other hand was a scimitar with an obsidian blade, and the crossguard is in the shape of demons wings, and the curved handle was in the shape of a demon's horn. The former was wielded by a paladin named Siegfried, and the latter by the infamous dread pirate... "Steve" (last time I let a player come up with a name...). They defeated Steve upon the high seas but were unable to recover his sword before it was washed overboard. At the end of the "campaign":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/melekar/wikis/godspike-campaign , a Slarecian dragon with the breath of Mordekainen's Disjunction destroyed Virtue, forcing it's sentience into the mind of Siegfried. It has been several hundred years since the death of Siegfried, so who knows just when or where Virtue and the Void could resurface.

Thanks for your consideration, and I look forward to see whatever it is that you decide to create :).
  • Chiguayante
    Chiguayante
    Gaaran, I really liked those item descriptions! Virtue and Void (along with a paladin and a pirate counterpart weilding them) reminds me a lot of Soul Calibur (their paladin is named Siegfried too!) but in a good way. I like how the swords are paired but not identical. That'd be a really cool pair to illustrate.
  • calabacita
    calabacita
    Hello Gaaran, the description for The Virtue and The Void really caught my attention, so much so that I'll have them in my queue of content to draw. (I must say I also like that video on your front page too. What a great way to introduce people into the world and the start of an adventure!) Oh, and just because I'm agreeing to draw Virtue and Void, doesn't mean I'm not looking for content;I'm always going to need content to draw for the "Tuesdays" blog and so keep on submitting to this thread people!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Thanks for the compliments guys, yeah, I hadn't made the connection with soul calibur, but I definitely see it now (although my player chose the name Siegfried for his character, not me :)

That's awesome Nicole, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with! And I saw a couple trailers for games on the official wizards forums, so i thought I would whip up a little something myself, to make the page stand out a bit.
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Welcome to the site Nicole. I don't generally follow the OP blog, but I really like the sketch video concept, so it looks like I'll have to start keeping up. I look forward to seeing future videos. Item wise, I'll suggest a couple of artifacts from the Exalted game I'm playing in at the moment, each of which offers some different artistic opportunities.

"The Daughters of Twilight":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/sotfa/wikis/the-daughters-of-twilight - A pair of dueling artifact dueling pistols, crafted in the high first age from orichalcum and ivory.
    "The Maker's Drafting Board":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/sotfa/wikis/makers-drafting-board - A desk and work bench, with the ability to bring a craftsman's vision to life in three dimensions.
  • calabacita
    calabacita
    Thanks for the welcome ChainsawXIV; and I'm glad to hear you're becoming a regular viewer. Ah, it seems I have this book, The Wonders of the Lost Age, in my apartment; and the basic sketch for a Plasma Tongue Repeater looks cool, but I bet I could give it a nice personal flare from what you described of Aurora and Umbra. The drafting board sounds cool too- since it's Exalted, does the board appear more rudimentary and empowered with magic as opposed to the tech-y Tony Stark board?
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I love anything gritty, as such anything from my entire wiki would be super awesome, but I'll resubmit my dear wish to have a visual of the dwarf security guards (dressed as Santa's Elves) beating the runners into submission with stun batons. (12 dwarves, gigantic fake ears, pointy shoes, stun batons painted like candy canes, whooping up on a 9 1/2 foot tall troll with gigantic muscles, a 6' tall human guy in a combat vest, and a 5'5" human that's built like a brick shithouse. (Read 'Tank') and a passed out Mall Santa on the ground nearby. And it's snowing inside the mall.
  • sandman
    sandman
    Welcome Calabacita!!!

First of all: your art is awesome!

I would also like to thank you for giving your support to this community by drawing content from user's campaings.

I don't have unique magic items in my campaign right now, but I would love if you could draw a statue that's at the top of a river fall, if you are ever interested in doing something like that.

This is my campaign: "Las Cr
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    Cool! I'm not too surprised you've got that one, as you mentioned you'd been playing some Exalted, and WotLA is a mighty handy supplement. As to the drafting board, I'd always envisioned it as relatively simple though well made when inactive, and coming to life to to speak when activated. The Ironman reference was pointed more at the functionality than the appearance of the device itself.
  • Chiguayante
    Chiguayante
    Sandman, Nicole and I game together IRL so I know she doesn't speak spanish, but I do (lived in Chile for a few years). I could help her out with understanding anything from you page, so no worries :D
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Chig, you are lucky to have an artist of her caliber in your group!
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Wow, I've been busy with school and so haven't had time to check in. Looks like I've missed quite a bit while I was away! Nicole, I appreciate your interest in my idea for architectural structures. In a nutshell, in my "Age of Legends":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/age-of-legends campaign the party is about to embark on a journey to discover an ancient lost elven city of ice. To do so, the party has had to discover a key to a ruined gateway that lies in the heart of a fae enchanted wood. This portal was part of a system of gateways that once covered the world, allowing inter-dimensional travel throughout. A cataclysmic event known as the "Sundering" shattered the world several millenia back, and nearly all of the gates were lost or destroyed during this period. However, in the next phase of our campaign, the party will discover the gateway within the forest (which has since been restored by fairy magic) and enter the portal in search of the city of ice.

Ok, with that background laid, I have for some time been thinking of what this lost city of ice might look like. It was hailed as one of the seven great ancient wonders of the world. Likewise, I have been toying with ideas for the structure of the gateway buried in the fae forest. My initial idea was to have a semi keltic meets art nuevo looking portal all covered in vines. But I'm open. I haven't yet written about either of these on my portal site, as the players don't know what is ahead of them, but if you are interested, I would love to divulge more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • calabacita
    calabacita
    Sandman: yeah, what Chigu said--he's fluent will help me translate your campaign. Also, I LOVE Fallcrest! Except for that time we had to scale those cliffs to get to the Green Spire/Wizard's Tower; I think I played a halfling warlock for that one; but I'm very familiar with the city and that map you put up on your page.

Jim: Well I was going to wait to tell your until my schedules more filled out, but what the hell :D , I'm drawing your dwarves and Mall Santa and the whole shebang for a 'Christmas in July' type segment. Still haven't decided if I will put Christmas carols in the background...

ChainsawXIV: Okay, I gotcha. So a person can interact with the drafting board in the same way as in Ironman but won't necessarily look tech-y. Cool!

Arsheesh: Well I definitely love art nouveau inspired artwork. I like the description you have and I'll be in contact with you if you have more ideas about how it looks.

This is awesome everyone: so much creative content, so many different ideas from different people. It's so cool, and one of the big reasons I love gaming so much-just like art-I get to use my imagination. Oh, and I'll be out of town tomorrow through the weekend, so if I don't respond right away to your comments, it's because I'm in good ol' Idaho.

Thanks Everyone!

-Nicole
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Wooo Hooo! And have fun in Idaho!
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Welcome Nicole! I definitely enjoyed watching your first video segment! I try to create my own original art when I can, but I still haven't quite mastered my tablet, and of course practical game planning trumps the bells and whistles. Out of curiosity, what program do you work in? I bounce between Gimp, Fireworks and Flash, myself. Each has its own advantages and drawbacks, the main advantage being that I already have them all. I really liked the greyscale palette you placed on your screen while drawing. I may need to implement something similar!

If you are still accumulating fodder for your segment, I had a couple ideas for potential drawing subjects to throw at you. I would love to see a skyline image for the city of "Panthium":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/wikis/panthium in my 3.5 campaign. The city is where my players will be headed next. It is sort of a cross between the city of Chyrellos from David Eddings' Elenium series and the White Tower from the Wheel of Time... x12.

The other idea was from a group of NPCs my players faced last night. Three words: Kobold. Mariachi. Band.
  • sandman
    sandman
    bq). Three words: Kobold. Mariachi. Band.

Hahahaha, I would definitely like to see that, hahaha.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I'm with sandman, that would be pretty fantastic.
  • calabacita
    calabacita
    Sorry guys that it took me so long to come back in here. I had a lovely time in Boise, but returned home and got sick for a couple days. I'm ready for another busy week-one that involves getting next week's video all ready to shine!

Gnunn: For all my illustrating nonsense, I use Photoshop CS4 with my Intuos 3 tablet. Some of the times, I start a sketch in a sketchbook and then scan it and retrace over the lines digitally. I haven't used GIMP but I've heard good things about it; and like you said, both Fireworks and Flash have their own uses for different projects. I'm happy to answer more art questions if you or anyone else have them especially if you're interested in creating art of your own. What kind of art do you like to make?

Unfortunately, I have all my planned video segments filled up for the moment, but I have to agree with sandman and gaaran that a Kobold Mariachi Band is setting off some interesting artistic ideas. So should I be given more videos to do (I think I'm doing them till August for right now), I definitely want to illustrate that group!

Also look for sometime this week: I'll be combining my blog with the videos I've produced to make an ultra-blog with fantasy/rpg art-related references and links. I'll make sure to post it on here.

Happy Gaming!

-Nicole
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    "What kind of art do you like to make?"

I used to be a prolific sketcher, mostly in a more comic/cartoony style. I have recently been trying to get back in the saddle while simultaneously shifting to work more in a digital format.

I have done a number of drawings for my campaign, including my own "avatar,":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/wikis/sporkchop a submission for the "Giraffelich contest":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/wikis/giraffelich and a couple character portraits for "NPCs":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-westerlands/characters/ashii-npc

Anyway, I'm just now getting to a place where I feel happy with my technique using my mouse tablet. I'm currently working on a 3-panel comic in Gimp. I was particularly happy to figure out that doing final line-work at 4x the magnification of your intended finished product helps smooth out the lines, and that the "grow-selection" tool is invaluable for applying color without gaps along the lines. I still have a LOT to learn, but hope to ramp up my original creations.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Thumbs up for great artwork!

I want to try a tablet. I can draw OK, but not on the computer and stuff always looks odd when I take pics of them or try to find a scanner.

What's a cheap one that would be decent for drawing line art?

Like this I drew with a pen in 20 minutes at work the other day (very bored)
    "Cell Phone Pic, sorry!":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/ThroalCop.jpg

"This one's a hair better. I need to hook up my scanner.":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/ThroalCop2.jpg
    Post edited by JimTriche on
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    The mouse tablet I use for all my stuff is a pretty cheapo one. It's a Genius brand... I think it's the 8" x 6" version, which you can find pretty easily for about $50. I would really like to upgrade to a bigger tablet when I get a chance, because 8x6 is a little cramped.

The biggest trick I like to use when working on a digital drawing, especially one with a person or animal, is to find an existing picture (either online or scanned in) to act as a sort of virtual model for my drawing. It is MUCH easier to start on a mouse tablet by tracing over an existing image or combination of images than it is to just start drawing from scratch. Once I've roughed in the basics of my drawing using the model, I do the final version freehand to make it my own.

For example, I am currently working on a character portrait for my GF's sorcerer. I found an image of someone in a dynamic pose that I liked and used that for her basic stance. Then, I was having trouble with her eyes, so I went and found an image of eyes that I liked and used that as a template when drawing her face.

In the drawings I linked in my previous post, I used the technique I just mentioned when drawing the giraffelich, traced my avatar from one of my sketchbooks, and drew the kobold NPC freehand straight from the tablet.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    This is a great discussion! I used to draw allot as a kid, and then tapered off in high-school and college due to the work-load of my classes. However, after discovering GIMP over Christmas break I have begun to grow more and more interested in getting back into sketching, and in particular, digital drawing and painting. So any advice on what to look for in a tablet, or handy tricks of the trade is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I'm trying to practice with Gimp, "coloring the cop to start":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/throalcoppaintprogress.jpg but I have decided I am going to look into one of these $50 tablets.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Oh, another thing to keep in mind when shopping for a tablet is the aspect ratio of your computer monitor. My monitor is a widescreen, but my tablet is not. As a result, the default settings for the tablet made all my drawings appear squished on the screen. Fortunately, I was able to correct this by adjusting the tablet's settings... but it's an extra step in the setup.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Edit: Retraction of dumb question.

Ironically, it took me WAY longer to color it than to sketch it.
    "Needs more soot on the walls":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/ThroalCopDone.png
    Post edited by JimTriche on
  • sandman
    sandman
    HAHAHAHAHA, Grunn, your drawing of your NPC "Ashii, Kobold Cleric of Pelor":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-westerlands/characters/ashii-npc is awesome!! I love it! xD
    Post edited by sandman on
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    @ Jim,

I recommend a layer of rendered clouds with a bit of gaussian blur masked to match the shape of the walls as a quick way to generate a nice grungy effect.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Okay, I finally finished up a 3-panel comic I've been working on, which reflects my inner feelings about the "pricing system":http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WV-KJRVwID8Hy54LJYaXmA?feat=directlink for magic arms and armor in 3.5 ed.