[feature request] calendar

nkt
nkt
edited May 2010 in Feature Requests
I'd like to see a calendar feature to help with scheduling play sessions. It would be nice if calendar entries could incorporate comments or notes, too.

That is all.

Comments

• darkspartan45
    darkspartan45
    +1 for this feature.
  • jemmasmum
    I love this feature idea!
  • Sabotender
    Sabotender
    i would like this feature too
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi
    Just got your notification and thought it might be quite a good idea. I think I would mainly like a calendar for plotting out events in the campaign as opposed to "real life" diary. I found a page a month calendar very useful in my last campaign (Using the Paizo Game Mastery Campaign Workbook, which had a small block for each day in the month.) I found it an invaluable reference for plotting out how the campaign was going. I am not sure how useful such a thing would be for organising games, as most people have a regular schedule that revolves around one day a week (usually set). Anything more complicated can surely be done on OUTLOOK. However, a CALENDAR format that could work with either real life scheduling or game play recording would certainly be a useful tool!

Frodo, you have my bow..... and her axe!

Mark aka twiggyleaf

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Hardhead
    Hardhead
    Agreed. I'd like an in-game calendar before an out of game one.
  • mntineer
    mntineer
    I agree -- I would like to see this as an overall feature so I can schedule my many games going on at once.
  • ryff
    ryff
    Another County Heard From! Great feature. If each Campaign has its own calendar, the ability to see a composite of multiple Campaign Calendars at the User-level would be great for those folks running multiple games at once!

If you create _two_ different kinds of calendars for each Campaign, real-world and game-world, I don't think there is a need for a User to see a composite of all his/her game-world Calendars, just the real-world ones. The idea is to facilitate real-world scheduling.
    Post edited by ryff on
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Try tossing this idea over into the "How to Request a Feature" thread "here":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2&page=1
    Post edited by DreadGazebo on
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    LOVING this feature!!! especially the two buttons, either:

Im attending -or- Im not

for a particular session onthe calendar. Nice work guys.
  • Folkor
    Folkor
    I really like it, especially the attending/not option. I am always sending out these emails to get head counts from my people. This makes it nice to have it and be able to track who was at what session.

I have only one question, the emails always shows the event in UTC time. Even when I have my time zone set, and the receiver has set his. Is that something that is being looked at? I'm setting the game for 7pm Eastern, and it comes across as 11pm UTC.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Try going in and setting it again, and be sure that your players do the same. In the meantime I'll ask the guys about technical issues. Hang tight.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Speaking of emails, I plugged in my campaign session for this week and all of my players were automatically notified. While this is normally a good thing, it makes me hesitant to enter my game night schedule more than a couple weeks at a time for fear of spamming my players with event emails.

Could you clarify if the calendar as is sends out emails for each individual event when it's created and if so, is there a way to disable this feature?
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Yes, calendar sends out events at creation and there is no way to disable that notification. YET!
  • canadrian
    canadrian
    The calendar is pretty slick. Before our DM was creating Facebook events, and now he can just create events on the Obsidian Portal campaign calendar.

The main problem is that I used to get the facebook events on my main calendar (Google Calendar, iCal, Outlook) by subscribing to the iCal feed. Now I can manually add each event from Obsidian Portal to my calendar by downloading an iCal file, but I miss being able to subscribe to the feed. Any chance of adding iCal feeds to Obsidian Portal?

Also, we have a shared Google calendar where everyone would mark their availability (i.e. "Frank is away" spanning a weekend), but there's no way to do this with Obsidian Portal. All you can do is create an event on a single day, and everyone gets an event invitation (it's ridiculous to send invitations to all players for the event "Frank is away".)
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    There are a few kinks, but overrall even the streamlined version of the calendar is a HUGE improvement over trying to do a campaign forum post for the same purpose or text msging. Good work OP.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I like the new "Add Notifications" buttons added to the Calendar but, like Gnunn, I would also prefer to choose being able to send the first one that automatically goes out on creation. Addition of the PREVIEW button on this would also be a help. I just created the event but after I closed it, realised I got a date wrong and had to change it - I presume that sends out a new notification as well?

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• ledeir
    ledeir
    The calendar is a nice addition... Though I just found out now that it spammed everyone when entries were created... (I never received any, but my players did)... It would be nice to have the option to disable that...

There are a few other kinks, but over all good work.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Agreed, ledeir. I just used this for the first time, and would have liked to choose who the invitation went out to. I knew a few of my players were not going to make it in advance.
    Post edited by FrankSirmarco on