Neckbeard reporting...

JimTriche
JimTriche
edited April 2010 in Player Lounge
My dad got me into role playing games when I was about 8 years old. I've played Basic D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2nd Edition, tried 3E, Shadowrun, Rolemaster, MERPS, Paranoia, Cyberpunk 2020, Call of Cthulhu, DC Heroes, Marvel Super Heroes, Gamma World, Star Trek, Rifts, GURPS, and a smattering of others, though I prefer Shadowrun 2nd and 3rd, and AD&D 2nd Edition. (Yeah, I'm grognarding it up with my old editions)

Trying this site out, and must say I'm fairly impressed! Now in discussions with the wife as to whether we can afford the extra $40 a year on the extra features.

Anyhow that's me.
This is what I'm working on:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/intothebreach

Have a good one!

Comments

• Idabrius
    Idabrius
    As a fellow 2e AD&D neckbeard who has tried other editions but does not like them (too NEWFANGLED not enough TABLES!), welcome to the site. Folks around here are extremely helpful, and if you peruse the forums for a bit you will discover ways to make your portal page beautiful -- I advise doing this early, as I did not and it is murder to roll out changes on hundreds of pages.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Thanks for the advice!

I am trying such now, which is why there's not as much content as I would like as of yet, but the stuff in this forum (I've already stolen some of Chainsaw's templates for my own use) is great and I would love to go all out with this. Right now I'm busting my tail in MS paint to make images for use, and made a photobucket to use with OP. Soon my wife will realize that $3 a month is a small price to pay to end my whining and I'll be able to do the ascendant membership level.
  • wsocrates
    wsocrates
    I agree with Idabrius one hundred percent. Well execpt for the AD&D part. My main faintasy game is Earthdawn. Because of how OP is layed out , finding what your design is going to be is much better done early. But having said that the Character section has a great way of recording all the NPCs even if you just use them once.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I forgot to mention Earthdawn! Which is odd because this campaign I'm doing now has HUGE ties to Earthdawn....
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Welcome to the OP community Jim! To add to what Idabrius has said, I would also suggest taking a look at the "Featured Campaigns" forum, and/or browsing the campaigns page a bit as well. There are some really well done campaigns sites here at the portal, and, speaking for myself, I have found it helpful to look at a variety of models when building my own sites. Also, here's a tip you may be interested to know. You mentioned that you are using MS Paint to make images for your site. You can embed graphic images within your site, and then link them to other pages, in essence creating "navigational buttons":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/tales-of-darkmoon-vale/wikis/navigation-buttons. I have found this to be tremendously useful (you can see these buttons at work "here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/age-of-legends), and I have seen several other people (i.e. wsocrates, grendlesparks and CampnHulk) make similar use of graphics programs. Well, have fun building your site.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • DiceMasterNick
    DiceMasterNick
    Yup, as arsheesh pointed out and Idabrius there is a lot to learn from the people in the community. I recommend reading only the most recent forums to get a handle on who visits/comments the most often, as this is usually the group that spends the most time editing their campaign website (concordantly having the best looking websites)
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Will do! I think I'm going to start slow though, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, especially with my extremely limited understanding of HTML. Thanks everyone! I hope to make something great and hopefully after time I hope to be an asset to your community.
  • sandman
    sandman
    Welcome Jim!

I believe that's one of the most important things to do when you start your campaing: start slow. It's understandable that anyone wants to build a HUGE campaign, with every detail, etc., but the risk is that if you don't take it slow, you'll get frustrated and will end up doing nothing at all.

As for HTML and CSS, don't worry about that right now. Just use the basic knowledge you have and you'll learn the rest on the go. There are a lot of tutorials and helpful pages about HTML and CSS, so it's just a matter of patience.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Thanks! And to say something here, I posted this morning here in the forum. Not 15 hours ago, an I've already gotten a lot of support and help. This is a GREAT community!
  • sandman
    sandman
    24hs geek surveillance xD
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Haha, just doing my duty by my players! Actually, I was getting a lot of help in another thread and when I refreshed I saw that this one had a new post!
  • sandman
    sandman
    Told ya'