Achievement System

TessaD
TessaD
edited December 2009 in Feature Requests

Comments

• TessaD
    TessaD
    Hi there,

My players decided last night to give my game that extra touch of player input: they are now keeping track of achievements for players. Allthough there is only one dm achievement in their list (amount of players killed :s ), I would like to support their initiative through Obsidian Portal.

Would it be a good idea to build something in the format of a table (columns: achievement name, player holding achievement, amount) under fe the wiki, or the adventure log?

I would like to point out that my players are not very heavy rp'rs and therefor not all that active on Obsidian Portal. However, when I pointed out that I could publish the achievements on our OP blog, they were extremely enthusiastic. I think it might just give them that extra nudge to be more involved.

Kind regards,

Tessa
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Tessa,

I think that creating a wiki page called "Player Achievements" or something to that effect, that is linked to your main page would be really cool! Off the top of my head, I think it would at least be a good way to keep track of your players' current xp levels. I know my players occasionally get a bit of friendly competition going about who is leading in xp.

I haven't created an achievement page... yet... but I have started inserting loot tables in each of my "session recaps":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-westerlands/wikis/session-28 in the adventure log. This helps my players and myself keep track of which items have been identified, who has them, etc. You might consider a similar style when designing your achievement page.

On a more general note, I think including things like an achievement table can potentially help a lot with bridging the DM - player enthusiasm gap that I suspect many of us face when it comes to campaign websites. I find its very useful to ask the question, "How would my players use this page?" when creating something for the wiki because they tend to be less interested in learning the history of the 3rd Skarlung Dynasty of the Gnollish Empire, and more interested in remembering where they left off last week or the name of their mysterious contact back in town. I think an achievement page is another good way to design a site that is useful and fun for players, and not just the DM.
  • autumnschild
    autumnschild
    Achievements are something I'd love to have for our site! I have a list a mile long of potential achievements, and it would be neat to have them show up on people's profiles and forum sidebars.
  • Kera
    Kera
    Way ahead of you - http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/sanctum-of-the-makers/wikis/achievements - i have planned this from the start...

-Kera, Game Master of Sanctum of the Makers
  • LonePaladin
    LonePaladin
    Consider making a graphic for each achievement. It's easy to find one that's done Xbox-style, but it only has room for the name. I found a better one: it looks like Steam's format, which includes the name, descriptive text, and an image.

http://www.teamfortress2.fr/achievements.php?eng