We do pay for this...

AshenHaze
AshenHaze
edited November 2009 in Feature Requests

Comments

• AshenHaze
    AshenHaze
    I became a member of this site because of how useful many of the features were. Unfortunately, parts of it seem to have become unusable. The NPC tracker takes ages to load, rendering its usefullness quite null. And the loading time of the Wiki itself often leaves much to be desired. As time goes on I consider more and more finding an alternate wiki source. What is being done to make it so those of us who pay to use this resource are getting our value?
  • autumnschild
    autumnschild
    Hi AshenHaze,

I'm so sorry to hear about your load time issues. At the risk of being a nuisance, I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute here. Are you sure the delay is related to the site, and not to something else? Perhaps it's your browser, or some other software performing maintenance on your system in the background. Are you experiencing the load issues on other sites as well? When you ping Obsidian Portal, what kind of latency are you seeing? Please, help us help you in determining if it is our site causing the issue, or if it is other factors.

We are dedicated to providing you with the absolute best tabletop RPG campaign management platform on the internet. Recently the developers put a lot of effort into streamlining the site and improving load times across the board. If you've discovered a case that's fallen between the cracks, then it's absolutely essential that we address it and correct it, and I will see to it personally that, if this is the case, you will be reimbursed for any downtime.

Let me know,

AutumnsChild(dan)
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    For what it's worth, I've noticed some serious load time issues on here from time to time, including this past Sunday. I've tested, and they are sight specific, and browser independent. Typically, when this happens, around four out of five times I attempted to load a page on here, in any section, it takes minutes to load, or in some cases, times out entirely. The issue has the feel of a server load issue - the page is not received slowly, it simply takes a very long time for the server to fulfill the request. I've experienced periods of this phenomena that lasted for under an hour before clearing up, but sometimes they have been more persistent.

The issue has been intermittent enough for me thus far that I've just chalked it up to hickups in the system and moved on, but I figured I'd chime in here, since it's in the center of focus.
  • autumnschild
    autumnschild
    Excellent input ChainsawXIV!

Thanks for testing the issue. I'll let the Devs know and we'll see what can be seen!
  • ryan
    ryan
    AshenHaze & ChainsawXIV,

We are noticing that the NPC Tracker does load slower than the rest of the pages even after our massive server upgrade in preparation for the Penny Arcade link. It looks like this is a code slow down. We have a couple other things we're focusing on the moment, but we're hoping to address this issue very soon.

Ryan
  • AshenHaze
    AshenHaze
    Thankyou, I appreciate the rapid response time and input.
  • autumnschild
    autumnschild
    We're here for ya :)
  • ryan
    ryan
    We've found a few spots to speed this up. We'll be deploying them tonight. Hopefully this will help.

Ryan