ChainsawXIV
ChainsawXIV
edited October 2009 in Bug Reports

Comments

• ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    *Browsers Tested:* Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.0.11
    *Pages Tested:* Main page, Campaign wiki pages, Forums

Throughout the Obsidian Portal web site, I have noticed intermittent periods of poor browser performance on slower hardware. On the laptop I use to run my game, the issue causes the browser to become almost entirely unresponsive for a few seconds at a time. This issue is not noticeable on my more powerful desktop systems.

This issue appears to be unique to the sight. I have not experienced it on any other sites using the same hardware and software, during the same browser session. The issue appears to effect the entire system, so long as one or more Obsidian Portal pages are open in the browser, probably indicating intensive CPU usage.

Based on these symptoms, I would speculate that one of the java scripts running here on Obsidian Portal is functioning incorrectly or inefficiently. The culprit is most likely to be a script that uses either a timeout or interval, given that the issue occurs periodically even when not actively interacting with the pages.

Briefly exploring the java script loaded on various pages here - and putting aside jquery and google scripts for the moment - I see that there are numerous intervals and timeouts set in the _prototype_ script file, so that's probably where I'd start looking for the issue.
    Post edited by ChainsawXIV on
  • ryan
    ryan
    ChainsawXIV,

Thanks for the detailed report. We've got a couple other emails about this issue. We're looking into it now and will hopefully have it sped up by the end of the weekend.

Ryan