Campaign and Adventure Log Comment Spam

thaen
thaen

GMs, if you get any spam comments in your Campaign Comments or Adventure Log Comments, please forward the emails to [email protected].

We're actively working on combatting this and having more examples will help us identify the spam before you see it.

Thank you for the help!

Obsidian Portal Developer

Comments

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

none have happened to mine but...

BUMP!

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• AlfmarchesGM

Isn't there any way to limit who can comment on our campaigns, say, only to players in it?

• Abersade
    Abersade

Three answers, covering all scenarios that I'm aware of:

Indirectly and easily? Yes this can be done. Private campaigns can't be viewed (or even navigated to) by anyone who isn't part of the game and thus would meet that criteria. Set the game to Private in the Basic Settings > Privacy section, click Save, and you'd be good to go.

Indirectly and significantly less easy, but still allows the campaign to be publicly viewable? Yes, this should be able to be done, though I haven't attempted this personally. CSS for each page type that has comments could be created to hide the comments section for anyone who isn't a member of the campaign, using classes like .MembersOnly and .PublicView (thanks ragnarhawk!). If your concern stems from just wanting to keep the comments to the members this will likely be your best bet if you want the game to be publicly viewable, but I want to stress that this method would not protect the campaign's pages from malicious actors since it doesn't actually disable their ability to comment, only hides it from being visible. A malicious actor could just inspect the page and delete the CSS that makes he comment section hidden.

Directly, as in "Is there a setting to do specifically this one thing and nothing else"? Not at this time. I could see some folks wanting this as a simple toggle type setting, so feel free to make that as a suggestion in the Feature Requests section of the forum. I know that Thaen has been attempting to keep the interface on the campaign backend as simple as is reasonably possible, so a suggestion thread should likely include where in the menu you'd want to see the feature and how you think it should look. Personally I think that the Basic Settings section is extremely simple, and the Privacy subsection is so simple that it doesn't even quite explain what it does, so the following might be suitable:

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• AlfmarchesGM

That positioning is exactly where I expected that to be. I'll take your advice and submit that request.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I have never had this issue- and have a top 5 campaign on the portal- I am sorry that you are having issues, but @thaen has been more supportive than anyone in my experience on Obsidian Portal, so reach out to him if you have any issues.

Just trying to help out.

• thaen
    thaen

For members that also want this feature, here's the thread with AlfmarchesGM's Feature Request:

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/6242/member-only-access-to-comments

Obsidian Portal Developer