How does your group handle food at the table?

thaen
thaen

I'm just curious what various groups do.

Do you have food at all?  Does someone cook?  Do you order in ... from where?

Kinds of food?  Any banned foods?  : )

Do you share the cost, or everyone brings or pays for their own?

What about if you play on video chat or VTT ... any group rules about not eating or what foods can be eaten during the game?

Any diet conflicts?  Vegan vs carnivore vs paleo vs keto?

Not really game related, but I remember a friend telling me that his employer renewed the lease on their office space, and the new lease had a clause that said "no roasted brussels sprouts".  Apparently the landlord had the offices down the hall and he couldn't stand the smell of them ... but he never said anything until he added that clause to the lease renewal!

Obsidian Portal Developer

Comments

• Abersade
    Abersade

My group has gone through a few methods.

1. Initially the DM always provided the snacks and drinks. Snacks were generally candy or chips, that sort of thing. Drinks were Mountain Dew and etc.

2. Then I switched jobs, taking one that paid 19% less. Due to me being broke most of the time we started a revolving calendar of who provided snacks and drinks. I took alternating weeks and everyone else would pick up a week, with everyone (but me) doing it once before going back to the top of the list and starting over.

3. That lasted for a bit, then money became tighter, and the schedule again changed to everyone doing a week in a specific order then moving back to the beginning of the list again. It stayed this way for at least 4 years.

4. Evolving even further now with the ubiquitousness of services like DoorDash and whatnot folks just decide on a place and put in a group order for delivery.

* Whoever's turn it was is who paid for it.

* Cooking happens sometimes, usually as some form of baking; one of our players bakes most excellent pumpkin muffins for example.

* Nothing is banned.

* The group prefers to order from Five Guys.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Abersade
    Abersade

Fun fact: The first "candy dish" that we used for the games was one of the cardboard tombstones that you can pick up at places like Target around Halloween. It screamed when you opened it.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Everyone brings their own

• thaen
    thaen

Oh wow ... I love pumpkin muffins ...

That's interesting about DoorDash.  Do you have agreed upon rules/limits for the cost of each person's meal?  I can easily eat a couple burgers and still not be full ... whereas, I know other people that get full fast and need to take half their burger home.  I imagine the "take half home" person would be annoyed at always paying for the gluttonous "eat two ... or maybe three" person.

• weasel0
    weasel0

We ordered out for years in my first group. There might be a roll off for making the phone call. Every one put in for themselves. Occasionally there'd be a convenience store run where again, get your own. 

When I hosted a few years back, I'd frequently just cook a roast or something and people just handed me money for it. Same thing if we ordered from a local place. Order was made and people would toss money in. 

• thaen
    thaen

You'd cook a roast ... that is impressive!  And sounds delicious ...

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Our games (when we are able to play them at a table, Covid restrictions allowing), are at a club in the centre of town, played on a week night after work.  Everyone usually buys their own takeaway and also brings a bunch of other snacks (biscuits, crisps, cakes, etc.) to the table.

Occasionally, when we do a weekend session at a friend's house, the host usually has some sort of lunch prepared, but the rest of us all bring drinks and snacks to add to general "MUNCHING" throughout the session.

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

Does the club serve food itself?  I would have thought they would "frown" on "outside food"?  Or am I misunderstanding what a club is?

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

The Club does not have food.  Basically, our Games Club hires out a local "TOWN HALL" for one evening a week and we all as members pay a small fee for the evening.  The "TOWN HALL" does not serve food, so they are fine with us bringing in our own.  What we get in return is a large, warm, safe space, with good tables and chairs on which to play our various games.  Most of them are STRATEGY and SKIRMISH games, with only a couple of RPG groups.  smiley

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

That's really cool that y'all are able to organize that and make it work!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley  The G3 (Glasgow Games Group) has been running for about 20 years on Tuesday nights.  smiley

Inner Council Member