Do you ever play one-shot games?

thaen
thaen

Do y'all ever play one-shot games?

What are you looking for in a one-shot?  How long does it ideally run for?

Do you prefer to use a different Game System than your normal one?

Any memorable one-shots that specifically come to mind?  Any reason why that one?

Obsidian Portal Developer

Comments

• ragnarhawk

I do like one shots - great way to try something new (and yes, I prefer new systems)

I ran a one-shot of a game called Opera House last March at my (virtual) birthday party.  Target runtime was about 4 hours.  We actually ran more like 7, but it was the first time for any of the players, and for for me to run.

We had a blast.  Unlike most RPGs, where you never split the party, Opera House forces the party to split, as everyone has stage cues to meet, as well as dealing with "special problems" that make up the storyline of the game.  It was frantic and chaotic, and everyone was constantly trying to be in 2 places at once.

I have also played a crazy one shot (YEARS back) of a game called "It Came From the Late Late Late show".  When you get in trouble (happens all the time) you can call for a "STUNT Double!" who can take the hit for you, allowing you to continue (until your stunt double runs out of their own hit points).

• thaen
    thaen

Wow, 7 hours!  Sounds like y'all really enjoyed it.  Is Opera House built intentionally to be a one-shot game?

Do you ever do one-shots in 5e or a Game System that's usually designed for a longer-term game/Campaign?

yes, I prefer new systems

What do you look for in a new system?  Or what pushes you to be interested in trying a new system out ... either as a Player or as a GM?

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I love running one-shots at conventions. I've kinda become known locally as the guy who runs over-the-top wacky games.

Walt's Angels (Savage Worlds RPG): Once upon a time, there were some princesses. But when their happily-ever-afters turned out to just be fairy tales, they left their castles and came to work for me. My name is Walt. (Cue the cheesy Charlie's Angels theme music)

Terror in Paradise (Dread RPG): Two weeks on the most secluded island getaway in the entire world sounded like a fantastic idea. No cell phones, no internet, totally off the grid. This should be the most peaceful two weeks you've ever had... So why are people screaming?? Come try out the Dread RPG, where hands trembling with fear are actually hazardous to your character's health!

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

My one-shots are all geared toward a 4-hour run time (typical convention game block length). I tend to prefer unusual themes or obscure game systems - I've also run a few sessions of Gruel Truck, Fuzzy Heroes, and my infamous Grindhouse Arena is always a big hit at our local conventions.

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• thaen
    thaen

@UselessTriviaMan, wow, Walt's Angels is excellent!  And that Grindhouse Arena model is intense!  Thanks for sharing the Game Systems and run-time.

• ragnarhawk

I agree with UselessTriviaMan.  Unusual themes and obscure systems are what tend to draw me to one shots.

Opera House can be run as either a one-shot or a campaign - they specifically talk about both in the rulebook, but they don't provide a scenario specifically for a one shot, and I don't know how I would manage a campaign...  As a one shot, I could take a lot of the suggested plot points and mash them together to make a high action scenarion (which likely contributed to running long)

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

For the record, the Grindhouse is always an 8-hour event. It's an 8-player gladiatorial grand melee where characters die a LOT, but the fun part is you can just go pick another gladiator and jump right back into the action.

It's not a question of whether you'll live or die. You're gonna die. The challenge is how long can you survive?? devil

• thaen
    thaen

@ragnarhawk, thanks for boiling it down to unusual themes and obscure systems.  That makes sense.

@UselessTriviaMan, haha, yeah, "how long can you survive" can be fun.  Reminds me of the one-shot we played with @Conan_Lybarian in his Workplace Company Co. game.  Your character is basically disposable, and if/when you die, you just have a new character show up on the next floor of the building.  Literally takes 30 seconds to roll up a new character.  It was quite fun.

I can think of a lot of unusual themes that I'd enjoy playing for one or maybe three sessions, but probably not an entire Campaign.  They're almost always related to something I've been reading or binge watching lately.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I am massively impressed with the grindhouse!

Just trying to help out.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I'll be running the Grindhouse once again at Gamicon in Cedar Rapids, Iowa the last Saturday of February. Just sayin'.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Our group does the occasional ONE SHOT adventure if someone wants to run a game outside of our usual campaign system (currently still Pathfinder First Edition).  We usually do it on a weekend session, or even the occasional week-end away (if possible).  Due to the restrictions in the last two years, this has been fairly limited.

What I personally look for in a ONE-SHOT is for the person running it to have a good knowledge of the system and preferably some pre-rolled characters ready for the rest of us to play, so we don't have to spend a whole load of gaming time in character generation.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

I've not played nor run a one-shot game since my last convention, which was Origins way back in late 90s-early 2000s

• thaen
    thaen

@twiggyleaf, oh good point about pre-rolled characters!

@Keryth987, any particular reason you've abstained from one-shots for 20(!) years?  Or were one-shots just only something you did at conventions, and never with your regular group?

• thaen
    thaen

What are some themes (unusual or not) and/or Game Systems y'all would be interested in playing as one-shots?  I'm idea farming, so feel free to throw out multiple if you have them.

I've been wanting to play something pirate themed (man, I miss Black Sails), and also maybe something Robinhood themed.  And also maybe Dark Sun-esque.

Post edited by thaen on

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

I prefer campaigns. And seeing how my group meets weekly and has done so for 20+ years now, no need for a one shot

• thaen
    thaen

@Keryth987, that's an impressive longevity in a group!  In general, I prefer Campaigns too.  Most of the one-shots I've played are with a group where we're not planning to get together regularly, or when someone in the regular group wants to try out GMing, but isn't ready to launch a full scale Campaign.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

As one shots, I would be open to anything that was not covered in our "usual" campaign.  This could include "space", a different world, a different fantasy game system, or even a nice wee day of "Talisman".  It might also be an offshoot of our campaign that someone wanted to run...

smiley

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

@twiggyleaf, I'm guessing you meant Talisman the board game, which I've never played, nor heard of before.  But when I looked it up, there's apparently also an actual Talisman RPG based on the board game, too.  Learn something new every day ...

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Yes, I meant Talisman the board game.  When it originally came out, we tried it, and although it wasn't an RPG, it was very much "FANTASY" and much more appropriate for a group of RPGers than "Monopoly" or "Risk".

smiley

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

....although, I must admit, before I found the First Edition Dungeons and Dragons game, RISK had been my favourite board game.

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

For RISK afficionados: Conquer Club

They have well over 200 community-crafted maps to play, or you can always just play the Classic map. A free account lets you play up to 4 games at a time.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

@Twiggyleaf - Arkham Horror, 1st edtion, is my groups go to board game

Post edited by Keryth987 on

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

@Keryth987 - Any Lovecraftian exploit has to be fun!

smiley

Inner Council Member