Happy New Year!

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf

I want to wish all of the Community all the best for the New Year of 2022.

I also want to encourage everyone who reads this to add a comment, even if it is just to say "HELLO" and let us know you are still here.

Being a fairly "OLD-TIMER" here on the Portal, I have noticed that there are less "CHATS" than there used to be.  Most of the posts these days are generally TECH related, discussing problems, resolving issues, requesting new features, etc.  NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!  And the "New Regime" is much better at dealing with these details than the previous two, so RESPECT to that!

Our international gaming community has been as altered as any other activity by the pandemic of the past two years, and many of us will be operating in many different ways, some of which will not revert back to the "way things were".

A big shout out to all those innovators who have added to the list of tools for us Roleplayers, and congratulations to all those who have used these tools to keep our games alive under quite difficult circumstances.

As an "Inner Council Member" and active member of "Campaign of the Month", I would like to thank all those who have taken part in nominating great new sites, bringing issues to the attentions of the DEVS, and introducing new ideas on this Forum.

Welcome to any newcomers, and to all and sundry:  Keep using the Forums!

Greetings to all!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

smiley

I think a lot of the "CHATS" have moved over to the Discord channel.  But Discord isn't really my personal preference, so I'm down for CHATS here too.

Happy New Year!

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

Inner Council Member

• ragnarhawk

Hello - Thaen is right, I am more active on Discord than here (although I am a Lurker as much as any cave dweller :-) )

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

Inner Council Member

• weasel0
    weasel0

Yep. Still in and around myself. Just nothing active going on so not coming in on a frequent basis. 

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Discord is as silent as these forums. Unfortunately the fiasco's of the past cost this place alot of the chatters.

I myself welcome chatter.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley  Thanks Keryth987!   It could also be that the world has changed a great deal in the last 10 to 14 years.    smiley

Inner Council Member

• ragnarhawk

As @Keryth says, Discord is as silent as these forums., which is to say, not totally silent, but quiet.  I think that conversations have, in some ways, been split between the two

Post edited by ragnarhawk on
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

surprise

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

So, it sounds like we're all open to "chatter", and there was some here before.  What topics do y'all remember most fondly?  Or are you most interested in discussing?

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I found an old  post of mine from 2016 from a thread entitled:  "What Obsidian Portal Means to Me".  I thought it would be worth copying and pasting:

"Obsidian Portal is the hub of my whole gaming world. I started just over six years ago and found the site by accident on "TINTERNET". After years of playing just modules, I was once again inspired to create my own world and develop a campaign around it. Shimring was born and I played this over three years, having spent a whole year designing it before even opening up to my players.

I early on discovered the community and have been fairly active on the forums since those times, tending to be more interested in the NON TECH pages, but getting great help from many people here.

Shimring had an epic conclusion and about three years ago I started my new campaign, Mysteria, still running to this day. I love all the things that Keryth mentioned and also make great use of the private campaign forums afforded by Ascendant membership. Two of my players also use Obsidian Portal for their own sites, which they do as part of my Ascendancy membership, with me as co-GM. It is great that we have consistency while playing different games.

I have great fun setting up characters and wiki pages and the campaign forums are incredibly useful for our group to discuss character development, rules, and even arrange the odd social event.

The General Forums are a great place where I have met many fantastic people who have commented, helped and contributed greatly. So thank you: Arsheesh, KillerVP, Wolfhound, Duskreign, DM Loki, Craigcoxon, Beuamains, Cgregory, Darkangelmarine, Leonides300, AZRune, Adoraith, Ketherian, Maesenko, AlexRedeye, Keryth987, Basileus, JustinMason, Tau, Lxcharon and the many others who have helped make time between gaming and designing so delightful!"

smiley

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

I early on discovered the community and have been fairly active on the forums since those times, tending to be more interested in the NON TECH pages, but getting great help from many people here.

I like how "NON TECH" is so prominently noted.  : )

What kind of things was that NON TECH help for?  Like plot ideas?  Or how to handle particular types of Players?  Other things?

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

All those things and more.  I can't really remember so well now.  There was always a bit of TECH stuff, but in those days, CSS hadn't crushed me like a beetle and I was still able to work things out with textile and simple code

smiley

Inner Council Member

• weasel0
    weasel0

Heck, one of the longest ones I remember was a chain response of animated gifs/pictures that was far too long for what it was but was magnificent.